1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About importing from SMF

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Cmely, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Cmely

Cmely Member

I'm sorry to ask my question here and not in the appropriate thread, but I've not (yet) buy XF so I'm not allowed to post.

My question is about importing from SMF to XF. I've read the FAQ but still have some questions :

Let say my forum (under SMF) is currently hosted on my server in "Myforum_SMF/" directory. Of course when I use the adress "www.myforum.com" it goes directly to this directory.

How will I install XF ? Am I suppose to create a new directory : "Myforum_XF/", install XF in this directory and then run the import from "Myforum_SMF/ " ?

Or will I install XF into the original "Myforum_SMF" directory ?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

XenForo must be installed in a different directory.

Run the importer.

Archive the SMF installation and move/rename the XF installation.

3. Cmely

Cmely Member

...ouch...faster than light !!! :D

You mean that I'll install in "Myforum_XF/" (new directory installation) then run the importer then archive / delete the SMF installation then rename "Myforum_XF/" (fresh installation) to "Myforum_SMF/" (or whatsoever) ?

4. Brogan

More or less, yes.

However, you shouldn't need to have XenForo installed in "Myforum_SMF/", it just needs to be in the public HTML directory.

Typically most people install in the root, \forum or \community directories.

5. Cmely

Cmely Member

I already have other forums / websites, each one in its own folder, that's why.
    Thank you for your help Brogan.

6. Cmely

Cmely Member

There is no SMF importer in the demo ?

7. Brogan

The demo doesn't support importing anyway.

8. Cmely

Cmely Member

Thanks...just wanted to see how it was working :rolleyes::D

9. Cmely

Cmely Member

Thank you very much for the links Omar (y)