Ability to upload image attachments in signatures

Yes, although I loathe being confronted with signature-images in forum discussions (there is a reason why I posted this: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ity-the-use-of-images-in-your-signatures.792/) there are in fact also benefits to be considered. For instance: I use the signatures as a place where paying advertisers can promote their product/services the moment they write an informative reply in a thread.

Works really well on our platform, because 3 parties benefit from this way of working:
  1. Our userbase get's valuable information from companies through these informative postings (they are not allowed to advertise themselves inside their postings text: they are allowed to only use the restricted signature-area to do that),
  2. We get money from those advertisers (keeps the costs of the site down and if you do really well... you can make a profit!),
  3. The company get's clients through their advertisment.
A very valuable win-win-win situation. So yes, more sophisticated signature-functionality is indeed welcome in situations like these.

I like this idea very much. However, admins should also have an option to allow only signature images uploaded through this feature and of course set max/min sizes of them.

I support the OP's suggestion and Sergie's. Some users create large signatures with images. With linking, then we will end up with broken links at some point. With out an ability to manage the size (I am referring to the image dimensions, not space on disk) then some users create unreasonably large sigs. Ofc we can manage them with moderators, but that is just extra manual work which shouldn't be necessary. Let's just stop this at the front door.

1.webp 2.webp
I made an uploader and just included it in the signature editor template. It solves this issue without having to add it to the core. Also you can make this only viewable by specific users and usergoups.

After you upload you just copy and paste the last line of the output into the sig editor and click preview to see it.

If that solution works, can be a nice add-on for the time being. Some questions:

- Will all users of the site have access to the uploader? Or just mods/admins?

- Will the uploader allow restrictions of image size, both the dimensions and space on disk?

- Can you modify the uploader to copy/paste the final link into the sig box? That way the process is seamless for users, and they don't need to view that 2nd screen.

It has potential if it can cover all the bases.

- You can make this appear for any you choose whether it be for an individual user or for a usergroup. you would just need to add a xen:if and the condition in front of the snippet. I am finishing up my COD modding for the day and moving back on to php ( I actually just got help fixing my sig uploader today from someone here )

-I can easily add file size constraints( it is there now, I just have it set to a ridiculous value at this point)...dimension I would have to look into...on another note I used this with a custom bbcode ( i made one called siggy) that will re-size the image to specifics...(I used height as the determination but you could do anything here)
I was going to try to make the uploader have a button that you click and the code would get copied (don't know why I didn't already actually)... but the uploader itself will run without xf as it is a standalone page called into an iframe...so I personally wouldn't know how to have that paste info into the editor but I for sure could get a click to copy working on it. I see what you are saying about less steps though and a button for copy at the top of the uploader box after uploading would make it quite clear what to do for upload/embedding sig images.

You can also ...it is not shown above...but since fixing the preview image (thank Laric here)...you can literally just drag and drop the preview of your sig into the editor and submit and it's good if that makes it any easier for the moment...
jeythghddhhd.webp fjkdflkjgdfa.webp

I have updated my sig uploader here today and will see if I can work any of these suggestions out...in the mean time anyone who knows they can do something with it feel free to grab the code and post your mods to it in the signature uploader thread...

Thank you EQnoble, but that is something I would definitely muck up! LOL I can do a lot with good directions, but that's a little too much for me.

I would just like to see an image uploader for signatures in the core product. It's not a deal breaker, but it does make my life easier if I don't have to add the signature images for my members that don't have hosting.

If you want to use it just pm me the domain name and the directory your xf is installed in ( www/forums/ or whatever) and I will set up the php doc for you. The template edit I assure you is as simple as it gets but I could help you with that as well if you would like. I am not against a sig image uploader being implemented in the core...this was just a work around and another mini project of mine.

PS mucking things up is how I learn best
wink.png

Thank you so much EQnoble for helping me get this set up.

Hopefully they'll add an uploader to the core product, but I'm tickled to have this for my forum.

• Could be done via the XenForo attachment uploading system.
I did a few searches but couldn't find a same suggestion. If I've missed it, feel free to merge it with an older version.

I've done a search and come up blank, do any of you guys know if there are any addons that allow sigs to be uploaded yet? I'm getting asked time and time again for this option from my members :(

This should have 10 million likes by now. It's an essential feature and one that must be added. How could it be left out? I am totally baffled by it's omission.
It should work exactly like vbulletins sig pic function works. Each user group has their various size limits. And if you change those at a later date you can flush the sig cache and force the removal of all sigs that no longer match. I mean, come on guys. This need doing!

is there already a way to upload an image for the signature ?

I can not find any option for this.
Please help.

Many thanks!

Top Bottom