1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ability to modify and re-order default help pages in the Admin CP

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Chris D, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

As above :)

The new custom pages feature is awesome, but I can see some potential in being able to re-order, edit or remove existing pages.
    tyteen4a03, viper357, Fred. and 58 others like this.
  2. Pereira

Pereira Well-Known Member

I agree about being able to re-order them but wouldn't XF want to control some of those pages so that they can easily edit them when they release a new version? BBCodes for example shouldn't ever need to be edited.
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can edit any of the pages currently in the help system by editing the templates directly. This system works in essentially the same way as far as I am aware and only adds to the default ones. This suggestion would only bring it to a single page and easier to edit them.
    Chris D likes this.
  4. Chris D

Well most of them have a lot of PHP code behind them, BB Codes is a perfect example. They would need to be PHP Callbacks, in which case they would still be editable by XenForo in subsequent versions.
  5. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Sure it does. Lots of us use custom BB codes. But regardless of that, it doesn't make sense to have a system that only allows you to edit some of the help pages. From a UI perspective, it should expose all of the Help pages within the same editor.
  6. Pereira

Pereira Well-Known Member

So when XF upgrades to a new version how would they add or take away from the list? Some pages need to be left editable only by XF.
  7. Chris D

Some of the pages would have back end code provided by a PHP callback, XenForo will have full control of that, as ever.
    The front end of the pages would still be templates in the template system. XenForo will have full control of that, as ever.

Nothing really changes. If we modify templates, they will become outdated if changed by XF. If we modify the original code, that will be overwritten. If we change the page so it calls different code, then the changes won't apply. But none of this is particularly different from how it works now.
    eberkund likes this.
  8. Gladius

Gladius Well-Known Member

Yes, please.
  9. Dylan V

Dylan V Well-Known Member

I agree.
  10. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

+1. Please add this ability.
  11. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

47 likes and still not implemented :(
    maszd and jauburn like this.
  12. popr

popr Active Member

At a minimum, it is important to be able to re-order the pages.. I want the most basic help at the top (like how to register), forum rules, etc.. BB codes and smilies would go way at the bottom. Is there any way to manually reorder them?
  13. Demon

Demon Active Member

I would like this.
  14. maszd

maszd Active Member

+1 please ;)
  15. viper357

viper357 Active Member

Would really like this.
    maszd likes this.