A word of advice to those that run their own VPS/Server

TPerry

If you run a site that is SSL secured, and you use CSF for your firewall.....
DON'T remove port 443 from the TCP_IN setting.

Don't ask me how I know... don't really know WHY I removed it - other than it was a late night edit. BUT it WILL bring your site down. :whistle:

I was going to say well dur, but that wouldn't have been very nice ;)

Don't worry, I've done my fair share of stupid things late at night (I think I locked down all ports completely once...)

Liam

I spent several hours one night trying to figure why only I could view one of the sites on my server. Turned out, I'd blocked 443 and because my own dedicated IP was in the allowed firewall rules, only I could view it. I'd had it running for almost a month wondering why no one was posting!

443? I use 8080 for SSL so I block 443 #YOLO #SWAG

FYI if you block 443 to then you cant do yum

Last edited:
I spent several hours one night trying to figure why only I could view one of the sites on my server. Turned out, I'd blocked 443 and because my own dedicated IP was in the allowed firewall rules, only I could view it. I'd had it running for almost a month wondering why no one was posting!
Exactly what happened here. I have my home IP excluded... it was driving me totally bat poop crazy that I could see it... but go get on my phone and I couldn't via LTE nor could a couple of other folks I asked to check it. Was messing around at the CLI and that's when I had the "derp" moment of remembrance.
Main reason I noticed it was I had been keeping an eye on my Adsense... and for today it was almost nothing. For the last several days it's been around $1 a day.

443? I use 8080 for SSL so I block 443 #YOLO #SWAG

FYI if you block 443 to then you cant do yum
Why exactly do you do something that backwards? 8080 is normally used as a standard secondary http port. Why not just use 6969 or 6868?

Hahahaha man that is funny... lol WHERE DID THEY ALL GO???

What a newbie. :P

Never access your shell when drunk. I was trying to find a particular directory, and instead of typing

Code:
$ ls -lr | egrep `^d'

I actually typed the wrong command before the pipe

Code:
$ rm -fr | egrep `^d'

Whoops! Talk about a cockup of a command. I always use the find command now.

Never access your shell when drunk. I was trying to find a particular directory, and instead of typing

Code:
$ ls -lr | egrep `^d'

I actually typed the wrong command before the pipe

Code:
$ rm -fr | egrep `^d'

Whoops! Talk about a cockup of a command. I always use the find command now.
ouch

Top Bottom