1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A word of advice to those that run their own VPS/Server

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tracy Perry, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

If you run a site that is SSL secured, and you use CSF for your firewall.....
    DON'T remove port 443 from the TCP_IN setting.

Don't ask me how I know... don't really know WHY I removed it - other than it was a late night edit. BUT it WILL bring your site down. :whistle:

Andrej, rafass, Gazhyde and 4 others like this.
  2. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I was going to say well dur, but that wouldn't have been very nice ;)

Don't worry, I've done my fair share of stupid things late at night (I think I locked down all ports completely once...)

Liam

3. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

I spent several hours one night trying to figure why only I could view one of the sites on my server. Turned out, I'd blocked 443 and because my own dedicated IP was in the allowed firewall rules, only I could view it. I'd had it running for almost a month wondering why no one was posting!

RobinHood, Fred., JVCode and 5 others like this.
  4. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

443? I use 8080 for SSL so I block 443 #YOLO #SWAG

FYI if you block 443 to then you cant do yum

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  5. Tracy Perry

Exactly what happened here. I have my home IP excluded... it was driving me totally bat poop crazy that I could see it... but go get on my phone and I couldn't via LTE nor could a couple of other folks I asked to check it. Was messing around at the CLI and that's when I had the "derp" moment of remembrance.
    Main reason I noticed it was I had been keeping an eye on my Adsense... and for today it was almost nothing. For the last several days it's been around $1 a day.

6. Tracy Perry

Why exactly do you do something that backwards? 8080 is normally used as a standard secondary http port. Why not just use 6969 or 6868?

7. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

Hahahaha man that is funny... lol WHERE DID THEY ALL GO???

8. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

What a newbie. :p

SneakyDave likes this.
  9. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

If your site is entirely SSL on 443, can you block port 80, or is that still used for some httpd functions?

10. Tracy Perry

You need to keep the Port 80 open. Folks still will attempt to hit your site frequently via http:// and it needs to be answering to force the rewrite to SSL.

rafass and SneakyDave like this.
  11. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice Tracy.
    appreciate it.

12. Stallyon

Stallyon Active Member

Never access your shell when drunk. I was trying to find a particular directory, and instead of typing

Code:
    $ ls -lr | egrep `^d'
    I actually typed the wrong command before the pipe

Code:
    $ rm -fr | egrep `^d'
    Whoops! Talk about a cockup of a command. I always use the find command now.

13. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

ouch