Lack of interest A suggestion about post number

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

petertdavis

A member on one of my forums made this suggestion today, and while I wouldn't classify it as critical, I thought it was interesting enough to pass along. She pointed out that at the bottom right of each post, you see the post number (and permalink), but it just tells you the post number. This forum is turning out to have a lot of long threads, so she thought it would be useful if instead of simply saying #51, it could say #51/100 (meaning it's post #51 out of 100 posts in the thread).

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It would also be cool if it said "Share" next to it, since few (if any) click on the post number to notice that it has all the AddThis sharing links, and a copyable URL, beneath it.

What Bama and I mention, though, could be done with template edits. :whistle: The #51/100 would require something extra. (Hopefully not another database query.)

That can be changed in the style properties, though.

LOL I am quite aware. You can also make it smaller as well with Style Properties. Maybe. I don't know if it can get any smaller and less useful than it is now for $140 out of the box.

Where it is now is consistent on posts, not inline with content or the user info. As such, it is the same size as the controls, the post author, and the post date. Are you saying all of these are two small and to find? Or just the post number. Because if you make just the post number larger, it would look extremely out of place.

For $140, XenForo provides great value, but it is impossible to please everybody, which is why the ability to style it to suit is so prevalent and easy to use.

Yes I am saying everything down there is too small. I used to be able to buy vBulletin and change a few things and be good to go. Now I have to completely destroy the entire backend of the style properties so half of my members can use the forum without a magnifying glass. That or pay someone to do it. Most of the people I know immediately change the font type and font size when they buy xenForo.

I'm glad they made a great backend that everyone can use to change every little detail of the forum with css. It'd be great though if we bought the software and didn't immediately have to change all of that.

I had Lasik surgery in 2012 and I can barely read the #6 on my macbook air from not even 2 feet away. On top of that it, along with the other controls are just floating in white space below content with no way to distinguish them. Don't mean to hijack the thread but that, along with font size is a nightmare for people coming to xenForo from other software. Don't care why it is or if it should be, but it is. Feel free to split this off if needed.

Can't say I've ever changed the size of the font or had anyone complain about the size on any forum I've ever used XenForo on.

I had Lasik surgery in 2012 and I can barely read the #6 on my macbook air from not even 2 feet away.

Are you sure your browser is set to display the page at 100% size?

I can read the post number from 2 meters away... let alone 2 feet....

Are you sure your browser is set to display the page at 100% size?

I can read the post number from 2 meters away... let alone 2 feet....

Yes. If I got really crazy I'd hover over it with my mouse pointer, which turns into a hand and completely covers it. Then I'd click it and discover completely new functionality!

I'm saying this in jest, not to be sarcastic in a mean way. I love the software but man, the default theme sucks. :) I don't really blame you guys that much, since its 2010 design and you have been catching up... but it would REALLY be nice to have some attention paid to the UI of xenForo.

I get you all hardcore xenForo guys know the ends and outs but my members don't and that's why I have to destroy the style so I don't get lambasted by hundreds of members every time I do a conversion.

I had Lasik surgery in 2012 and I can barely read the #6 on my macbook air from not even 2 feet away.

I think the font size is just the right size even for my old eyes.

Anytime those with poor vision complain about font size, I have to ask, why not use your browsers Zoom function? It's a perfect solution for the minority which have poor vision.

Its not even so much the font size as it is its just floating in a bunch of nothingness which just compounds the 11px font size with light color on light background.

One of the first complaints I received from my membership after the vB 3.8 > XF transition was the font size. Chasing down the sizes in the Admin panel isn't enjoyable...

You could modify the post template.
Replace
#{xen:calc '{$post.position} + 1'}
With
#{xen:calc '{$post.position} + 1'}/{xen:calc '{$thread.reply_count} + 1'}

Thanks for that. I'm always reluctant to edit the templates because that's going to make it more difficult when it comes time to upgrade.

Thanks for that. I'm always reluctant to edit the templates because that's going to make it more difficult when it comes time to upgrade.

You can easily do it with the built-in template modification system. If you want to apply this same modification to your other forum, package it as an addon, export it and then import it to all your other forums.

I had Lasik surgery in 2012 and I can barely read the #6 on my macbook air from not even 2 feet away. On top of that it, along with the other controls are just floating in white space below content with no way to distinguish them. Don't mean to hijack the thread but that, along with font size is a nightmare for people coming to xenForo from other software. Don't care why it is or if it should be, but it is. Feel free to split this off if needed.

Not that hard to fix with just a few minutes of time. Font size could stand to be a little larger, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 1.57.48 AM.webp

Or

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 2.00.52 AM.webp

You can easily do it with the built-in template modification system. If you want to apply this same modification to your other forum, package it as an addon, export it and then import it to all your other forums.
how do you package it as an addon? You make it sound easy...

A member on one of my forums made this suggestion today, and while I wouldn't classify it as critical, I thought it was interesting enough to pass along. She pointed out that at the bottom right of each post, you see the post number (and permalink), but it just tells you the post number. This forum is turning out to have a lot of long threads, so she thought it would be useful if instead of simply saying #51, it could say #51/100 (meaning it's post #51 out of 100 posts in the thread).
I would be opposed to this, because I'm fairly sure it would add database queries.

Each time someone viewed a thread the site would have to query where you were in that thread to give you the exact ratio and update the rest of the post as soon as I replied.

1/5
2/5
3/5
4/5
5/5

Now I post and all those numbers need to be recalculated.

1/6
2/6
3/6
4/6
5/6
6/6

The way it works now, it just counts and saves the number you're on. It does not need to recount or recalculate.

Top Bottom