A question to freelancers

Sadik B

Hey Guys

I need some help with some research. This is a question specially for those who are doing freelancing seriously.

I have been freelancing for several years now and I would like to think I am fairly successful. (You can see my Elance profile! :) ) Anyways, I have been thinking of late that one of the reasons I have done well freelancing is the proposals I write to prospective clients and how I communicate before, during and after the project.

So I was considering creating an online course teaching other freelancers how to write better proposals which give you a higher chance of winning the project.

If I create a course sharing my strategies on how to write a better proposal, actionable steps on how to immediately get the attention of the client, how you could negotiate to get the highest price for yourself etc. do you guys think other freelancers would be interested in that?

I am posting here basically to validate whether people would be interested. If you do freelancing professionally or at least as a serious side business, I would really be interested to know your opinion.

Thanks!

@Sadik B While I can't say I'm a very serious freelancer, I do think that this is something people would be interested in.
However I'm not sure how much people would be willing to drop on such a product, there are quite a few pages out there around the net describing freelancing on elance and strategies that those freelancers used to get business. (Most recently I read a free one where an elancer supposedly made $4,000 in their first month)

Last edited:
I think that'd make for a fantastic e-book and you could definitely do well with it, maybe even a blog too. The blog would be good for sharing your experiences, tips, guides, etc. When you have experience in a specific niche like you do, you can do well for sure. It is kind of a crowded niche but quality content and proof of success can help for sure.

Here's a site that may benefit you: Getting Started with Smart Passive Income (I have no affiliation with this site).

Also, since I didn't directly answer your question.. I would be interested in seeing this product and any content you put out there. I never really got into freelancing because of all the work just trying to get work (lol). Breaking into the scene always seemed difficult, no reviews on your profile, no experience shown, having to pitch yourself to every single potential client most of whom may not hire you and having to do that every time you want a job. So, having resources from someone successful in that field would be interesting to me despite the fact I have no time for freelancing right now.

Thank you for your replies. I received quite a bit of validation in my research. I also found other people already providing educational content on how to get into freelancing. That is always a good thing. Also my research led me to realize that instead of just helping people with the art and science of writing proposals, it would be a good idea to share the entire lifecycle.

I have the brief outline of a course in mind. It will take me more than a few videos to explain how exactly I do it. I was doing an outline writing today and I ended with topics for seven videos! It would be a challenge taking time out and doing them with quality but it is something I would very much like to do.

And Daniel, freelancing is just like every other business out there. One has to work smart and have specific goals on what they want out of their time and skills. And contrary to what it may seem, you don't have to pitch yourself at all after a while. In fact, all my current clients are either people whom I have been working with for a long time or people who directly seek me out for work. Of course, that happens after some time and work done and how one manages their work.

And Daniel, freelancing is just like every other business out there. One has to work smart and have specific goals on what they want out of their time and skills. And contrary to what it may seem, you don't have to pitch yourself at all after a while. In fact, all my current clients are either people whom I have been working with for a long time or people who directly seek me out for work. Of course, that happens after some time and work done and how one manages their work.
I understand what you mean. I didn't make it seem to sound impossible. I was just explaining that your content and experiences would definitely help people considering getting into that. I know at several points I considered trying to find freelance work and every time it seemed like I either had to severely lower my bid (which I know when you're the new guy on the block, sometimes that's necessary) or I'd get passed on because there were 50 other people with equal credentials plus they had reviews so there was no way I was being chosen. I ended up never putting in the serious effort to make a name for myself on that site. I actually didn't really do paid work at all until I had a friend get me development job that I still do full time and later I started making add-ons here (which followed the same procedure, lower prices to build the name and then was able to get more work and more requests than I can possibly do).

I'm not complaining or anything. I also understand how it works and everything. I was just attempting to reassure you that your content and experiences would definitely help people that were in a situation I was in like 3 years ago (no official experience, no client reviews, just fun/independent projects).

Hey Daniel, yep understand exactly what you mean.

But I disagree on the new guy no experience = lower bid logic. What you get paid for is a reflection of your programming (or whatever you are freelancing in) skills and not your history of freelance work done. In a traditional 9 to 5 job, generally people with better skills will be the ones with more experience.

However with freelancing online what happens is that your skill set could have been acquired in a regular 9 to 5 job, or maybe just in fun projects at school. That means even someone who is just beginning to work online could already have an advanced skill set then someone who may have been working for 2 years online.

Now, when these guys with skills feel frustrated and leave because they have to bid so low is what I feel very sad about. A freelancer who is capable of doing a job several times better, should not be forced out of the competition just because there are 40 people quoting $5/ hour. That is where one needs knowledge on how freelancing works, how to identify and understand what a client is like from his job post, how to approach and win a job quoting higher than the competition even with not much experience to show. I intend to cover these areas. Of course provided, I can somehow wriggle out time from the mountain of pending tasks at hand... :)

Top Bottom