I run a vBulletin 3.8 board with >2m posts and we are currently discussing the potential for moving on to XenForo.
The questions coming up at this stage have been basically about how we'd change our processes over to the new system - particularly relating to moderation, and about the modifications we use to the base vBulletin and their potential equivalents for XenForo.
Second one first - the major modifications we use are vBSEO and a custom fantasy sports game.
- How well can XF keep the url structures of the vBSEO links? What about the likes system?
- How hard is it to 'convert' a vBulletin template over to XF and has anyone had success in doing so without a large amount of reprogramming?
- Is there a good points plugin? We currently piggyback of vBookie's vCash - I've seen the 'SportsBook' modification, is that a good equivalent?
And for the moderation side of things, there's a few things we do that don't seem to have an equivalent in Xen, that I've found.
- Putting posts/threads from new users into the moderation queue. There's membership approvals, but I like to basically let people make a post and then if it's good, approve it and have them automatically promoted to the normal 'registered' usergroup.
- Allowing users to see their own deleted posts, we did a code modification on vBulletin - is there an addon or a similar mod to do the same thing here? We find it a good way of communicating with members to have their posts not just vanish.
- Second to that - why does it only say 'edited by a moderator', is there an option to say the specific one? Again as it allows users to contact the moderator that acted on their post directly.
- Permissions seem extremely complex - does the installer attempt to convert those over from the vBulletin permissions in any way?
Some general questions as well
- Have people with larger boards found the enhanced search addon worthwhile? Do the demo boards have that included?
- How have users responded to the change?
- What was the most convincing factor for others in deciding to move on from vB3.8?
Thanks in advance for any feedback, answers and advice.