A bit of trouble setting forum/nodes permissions

Divinum Fiat

Hey everyone,

I found the permissions setting and first went in and set them for each group (free members, paying members, etc). What I'm trying to accomplish is paying members having access to additional forums and free members can see the forums exist but they can't get in (so I don't want to make the paid forums completely private because I don't want to hide them).

Right now I'm in Node Permissions are and the page says:

Node Permission: Name of Forum
Then there is an empty field to enter a user name and a button that says 'enter permission' (don't know what goes in there)
Underneath are the 4 levels I currently have assigned (admin, moderator, free member and paid member) and after each name a button called group button.

When I click on those group buttons it seems like the general permission area opens up again. Or are these permissions for that specific forum only?

Perhaps I'm doing this right (how delightful would that be), but if I'm not, can you guide me? :notworthy:

Thanks, Brogan, I had clicked on the right 'group button' link to the right instead of the clickable link to the left. Got it.

However, Something is off. I just set the permissions and made inaccessible the one forum that is for paying members only. Then I opened explorer (I use FF to be signed in as the admin) and created a new user account for myself. I confirmed the account and then was able to access the forum which was supposed to be inaccessible anyway. So I went back to Firefox into the admin panel my new user profile to see what the settings were and none of them were set (even though I had already set the permission for my 2 membership levels).

So I think I have a base challenge with the sign-up process. When they sign up they don't even choose what level they sign up for, so when they confirm their e-mail addresses they get privileges to an account that I don't even have in the admin panel. I only have the free membership and the paid membership and those two are configured correctly. I hope I'm making sense.

How can I tie a new user sign-up to an actual 'free member' or a 'paid member' status?

Set the Registered user group permissions to the lowest comment set; i.e. what every member will have.

That is the primary group for all members.

Then use secondary user groups, either via account upgrades or user group promotions to add other permissions.

That's what I did. Although I changed the titles. Now there are 4 user groups in this sequence:

1. Administrator (set to see and do all)
2. Gold Member (paying member)
3. Moderator (has most but not all priviliges)
4. Silver Member (free member) = this is the one I thought everyone would register into automatically when signed up, but it's not so. The priviliges of this group has been moderated to have access to most except the admin and moderator things and not the paid forum either)

The account I just registered for myself, however, has everything set to 'no' - top to bottom. But I could still access everything in every forum.

And I checked the accounts waiting to be approved and there's nothing there.

Did I by accident overwrite something?

Something is definitely wrong with the permissions. I have one administrator account, which is me, and I have permissions set so that I can can have access to everything. This was fine as of last night, but this morning when I logged back in as the administrator, I now have no permission to the forum I had wanted to reserve for paid members only. If I'm the administrator then I should have access to all forums, correct? How did it get switched?

And likewise, I signed up as a new member (myself) under another name last night, and all settings are set to 'no' but I have access to everything, including the forum that is supposed to be for paid members.

The whole permissions thing is messed up. But I also haven't figured out why as a new signup I am given permissions that don't even exist in the admin panel.

Is there anyone who can take a peak at what I'm doing?

the new members group (assuming they have validated their email) is 'registered'.
you can rename it to 'silver members' if you wish, then make your perm changes to that group.
also remember that setting any perm to 'deny' will override any other perm sitting in any other group that member is a member of, including the admin group!

You have your user groups confused.

You have renamed the Unregistered / Unconfirmed group to Silver Moon and you are trying to use that as the default group. That group is primarily for guests, so shouldn't be used in the manner you are trying to.

User group 2 is the default Registered group, which you have renamed to Golden Sun.
That group should contain the minimum permissions you want all members to have.

Upgraded permissions and access is achieved via additional user groups and user upgrades.

Here's what you need to do.
  1. Put the Unregistered / Unconfirmed user group back to the defaults and set the base permissions for guests.
  2. Rename the current Golden Sun user group to Silver Moon and use that as the base permissions; that is the default registered user group which all members will be placed into automatically.
  3. Set all the permissions for the Silver Moon user group, including revoking access to any nodes.
  4. Create a new Golden Sun usergroup with the upgraded permissions, including any node specific permissions.
  5. Create a user upgrade which members have to purchase, which will add them to the newly created Golden Sun usergroup as a secondary.
  6. If you want to use user group promotions then you will need to upgrade to 1.1.

aha, so I basically thought I could just go in and create the levels I wanted. I didn't realize that I needed to abide by the base XF laws. :notworthy: But this is going to screw my entire plan up for the site. I had wanted this to be a site 'by invite' only where ALL visitors get on a splash page first, without even seeing the forum. They would have to either tell me who invited them or give me a good reason to get in (so I wanted to add a comment box to the sign up form).

Now you're telling me that basically I can't do that?

And what is this about upgrading to 1.1? I just bought this license 6 days ago. What is 1.1?

You know how the Warrior Forum has its basic membership free and it's war room for a 1 time fee and then if people want to advertise their services there is a one time charge? THIS is what I want to accomplish with my site, except I'll also have a recurring fee for upgraded members. So 1.1 is what I need?

You don't need to upgrade to 1.1 to do what you want, it can all be achieved in 1.0 using user upgrades, as I have already explained.

User group promotions is an additional feature in 1.1, which is currently available as a beta version.

Okay, I will do as you say. But what is 1.1 and why didn't I get 1.1? I don't even remember reading anything about it when I got 1.0, just assumed I'd get the whole enchilada.:p

Okay, I will do as you say. But what is 1.1 and why didn't I get 1.1? I don't even remember reading anything about it when I got 1.0, just assumed I'd get the whole enchilada.:p

You do get the whole enchilada, and more. 1.1 is currently in beta, and thus not supported. That probably is why Mike did not install that version for you, but went for the supported 1.0.4. However, upgrading is a breeze (and as other specified, the newer version is included in the purchase price), and something you could easily do yourself.

If you want unregistered users to not get anywhere, you most definitly can jsut deny them access to all nodes, thus preventing them from seeing it. You could set all nodes to be private, and only assign the non-unregistered groups the rights to see/post, and what not.

Brogan, this doesn't make sense. I'm reworking this and now I have a 'guest' level AND a 'free membership' when they are in essence the same. Asking them to register once as a guest and then having them registering again is redundant. That's why I changed the name from guest to 'free silver member.'

Can't I just have the levels that I want and call what you call the 'guest' level whatever I want to call it?

A guest is anyone who is not registered. Once they register (or log in) they are no longer guest, but become registered members. If they want to upgrade their account from there, they will have to take extra action.

Guests, by the way, also include search engines spiders.

I would suggest you consider hiring someone who can set everything up for you and walk you through what they've done.

That should help you understand how it all fits together.

As posted above, unregistered users are not able to upgrade their accounts as they don't have one.
So first someone needs to register before they can purchase upgrades or be granted additional permissions.

Top Bottom