A bit of trouble setting forum/nodes permissions

Divinum Fiat

Hey everyone,

I found the permissions setting and first went in and set them for each group (free members, paying members, etc). What I'm trying to accomplish is paying members having access to additional forums and free members can see the forums exist but they can't get in (so I don't want to make the paid forums completely private because I don't want to hide them).

Right now I'm in Node Permissions are and the page says:

Node Permission: Name of Forum
Then there is an empty field to enter a user name and a button that says 'enter permission' (don't know what goes in there)
Underneath are the 4 levels I currently have assigned (admin, moderator, free member and paid member) and after each name a button called group button.

When I click on those group buttons it seems like the general permission area opens up again. Or are these permissions for that specific forum only?

Perhaps I'm doing this right (how delightful would that be), but if I'm not, can you guide me? :notworthy:

Yes, you're right, I think out of the box this is not easily doing what I want it to do. :unsure: If any of you could recommend someone that can tackle this for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

By the way, why is the home 'page' on the live site not activated or not clickable on most X forums? Mine isn't either, how does it go live and is actually the main site when landing on the main url?

Thanks guys! Really appreciate your help.

By home page, you mean the page that comes up when you click the "Home" icon? XenForo.com uses a custom homepage. I think most of the sites you have seen use XenPorta as a frontpage portal.

And if you're looking for assistance, shoot me a private message. I probably can help you out.

Will send you a pm.

Yes, what I mean by home page is for example this site, which I believe uses the template called 'social' goes directly the home page. http://general-forums.com. I like the information on the home page this way. When I clicked through the 'showcase' tab here and visited many, many of the sites listed there, most of the urls went directly to the forum tab but when I clicked on the home page most of them are inactive. A bit strange? And mine does that too, it's not clickable at all.

That does look like Jaxel's XenPorta add-on in the site you referenced. And the Home-tab for me at least is meant to take you to that frontpage portal. So it's actually just doing a refresh when you click the page from when you are on the home-page.

It's controlled by a setting, though. You can choose to make the portal take the place of Home (which is what I have mine set to), or to have "Home" take you to the forums list.

Maybe I compared it to http://general-forums.com, who uses 'Social' as their style and their home page comes up when you first go there, then their 'forum' tab takes them to the actual forum, a completely different looking page. Interesting, definitely need to get this fixed on my site also, it just seems like it's broken. ;)

Top Bottom