• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenHabla (IRC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome upgrade Jaxel, keep up the good work. I will soon update vbirc.com/xenforo to also include a link to this thread as alternative download.

Weird - But I'm glad.. :D

After upgrade to v1.0.2 I now have both danish language and native danish characters æøå ÆØÅ in the lightirc chat (flash version). Have done nothing but upgraded.. Still the same option settings as yesterday ..

Damn I love xenForo, Jaxels and others add-ons and this community! ..

As suggested above, being able to prefix a username by default would be nice as common names on IRC will already be taken.

I wrote to a IRC developer asking this same question. The original request and his reply are below. I am sharing in case this information is helpful to you or others. As for me, I believe I will go with a different solution, CometChat. I will investigate that option further and make a decision next week.

On 05.03.2011 16:18, Ryan wrote:

I run a website. I need a chat system with the ability to retain the EXACT username of my members 100% of the time when they join. If my name is “Ryan” on the site then I must appear as “Ryan” in chat. There can be no exceptions. If I appear as “Ryan123” then my members cannot truly know if that user is really me. Someone else could make up a user with the name “Ryan456” and claim it was me. That is a problem.

I notice when I log into your IRC it presently detects my website username “admin”. Is there a way for the IRC to allow me to connect with the name “admin” 100% of the time and never alter it in any way? Same result would be needed for all my members. We can be confined to our own IRC chat rooms to avoid duplicates. Your system can also prefix our names with “Tera-“ so the name would be “Tera-admin” to avoid duplicates. If this latter process is used, then no one else could be permitted to manually create usernames of “Tera-“.

Is this do-able?

From: Valentin Manthei [mailto:contact@valentin-manthei.de]
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 7:24 AM
To: Ryan
Subject: Re: LightIRC usernames

What you want has more to do with the IRCd configuration than with lightIRC. However, in my approach, you could also disable the /nick command (coming release) to avoid that people change their nicks.

However, the best way would be to set up an own IRCd and use an authentication to make sure every user name can only be taken by the authorized user. InspIRCd offers a nice way of MySQL authentication. You would pass lightIRC the user name and the hashed user password. The IRCd checks your database for that row and lets the user only connect if everything is fine.

More information here: http://wiki.inspircd.org/Modules/1.2/sqlauth

Cheers,
Valentin

I think setting up your own server is overkill if instead you could just do username_yoursite instead. Because IRC is open you can't strictly control it like you want but I also don't think you really need to. You'd set up a channel where you and your mods are given operator (admin) rights and then it's quite obvious that you're not someone impersonating you.

I agree that setting up my own server is not the way to go, which is why I most likely will go with the CometChat solution. I just need to investigate that option a bit further.

I wrote to a IRC developer asking this same question. The original request and his reply are below. I am sharing in case this information is helpful to you or others. As for me, I believe I will go with a different solution, CometChat. I will investigate that option further and make a decision next week.
In summary of what he said... set up your own IRC server.

Even if Valentin sets up a feature to disable /nick in lightIRC, there is nothing stopping users from using mIRC or IRSSI to connect to the server instead of lightIRC. The only way to stop it is to... set up your own IRC server.

you need to choose a UNIQUE name. Either you can have the server automatically pick a random number so you would be, for example, Allan_435621 or you can choose another name. The server has a lot of users so all the common names will be taken.

you need to choose a UNIQUE name. Either you can have the server automatically pick a random number so you would be, for example, Allan_435621 or you can choose another name. The server has a lot of users so all the common names will be taken.
I understand, thx for information ;)

If I activate ChatUsers module in XenPorta I get an exception

Code:
An exception occurred: Undefined index:  user in /home2/masterf4/public_html/library/EWRhabla/Model/Chat.php on line 17
[LIST=1][*][B]XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()[/B]in[B]EWRhabla/Model/Chat.php[/B]at line[B]17[/B]
[*][B]EWRhabla_Model_Chat->fetchUsers()[/B]in[B]EWRporta/Block/ChatUsers.php[/B]at line[B]12[/B]
[*][B]EWRporta_Block_ChatUsers->getModule()[/B]in[B]EWRporta/ViewPublic/Portal.php[/B]at line[B]70[/B]
[*][B]EWRporta_ViewPublic_Portal->getModuleParams()[/B]in[B]EWRporta/ViewPublic/Portal.php[/B]at line[B]18[/B]
[*][B]EWRporta_ViewPublic_Portal->renderHtml()[/B]in[B]XenForo/ViewRenderer/Abstract.php[/B]at line[B]222[/B]
[*][B]XenForo_ViewRenderer_Abstract->renderViewObject()[/B]in[B]XenForo/ViewRenderer/HtmlPublic.php[/B]at line[B]67[/B]
[*][B]XenForo_ViewRenderer_HtmlPublic->renderView()[/B]in[B]XenForo/FrontController.php[/B]at line[B]533[/B]
[*][B]XenForo_FrontController->renderView()[/B]in[B]XenForo/FrontController.php[/B]at line[B]156[/B]
[*][B]XenForo_FrontController->run()[/B]in[B]/home2/masterf4/public_html/index.php[/B]at line[B]17[/B]
[/LIST]

If I activate ChatUsers module in XenPorta I get an exception

Code:
An exception occurred: Undefined index:  user in /home2/masterf4/public_html/library/EWRhabla/Model/Chat.php on line 17
[LIST=1][*][B]XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()[/B]in[B]EWRhabla/Model/Chat.php[/B]at line[B]17[/B]
[*][B]EWRhabla_Model_Chat->fetchUsers()[/B]in[B]EWRporta/Block/ChatUsers.php[/B]at line[B]12[/B]
[*][B]EWRporta_Block_ChatUsers->getModule()[/B]in[B]EWRporta/ViewPublic/Portal.php[/B]at line[B]70[/B]
[*][B]EWRporta_ViewPublic_Portal->getModuleParams()[/B]in[B]EWRporta/ViewPublic/Portal.php[/B]at line[B]18[/B]
[*][B]EWRporta_ViewPublic_Portal->renderHtml()[/B]in[B]XenForo/ViewRenderer/Abstract.php[/B]at line[B]222[/B]
[*][B]XenForo_ViewRenderer_Abstract->renderViewObject()[/B]in[B]XenForo/ViewRenderer/HtmlPublic.php[/B]at line[B]67[/B]
[*][B]XenForo_ViewRenderer_HtmlPublic->renderView()[/B]in[B]XenForo/FrontController.php[/B]at line[B]533[/B]
[*][B]XenForo_FrontController->renderView()[/B]in[B]XenForo/FrontController.php[/B]at line[B]156[/B]
[*][B]XenForo_FrontController->run()[/B]in[B]/home2/masterf4/public_html/index.php[/B]at line[B]17[/B]
[/LIST]
What is your channel?

Request: ability for importantMessage letting everyone know that Administrator is in the chatroom, or whoever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom