• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenCarta (Lite Wiki)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great wiki !
http://simgadgets.net/index.php?wiki/index/

simgadgets-net-wiki-xencarta-jpg.18882

Attachments

• simgadgets.net.wiki.xencarta.webp
    simgadgets.net.wiki.xencarta.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 246
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but are there any plans for adding markdown support?

You could use this good markdown parser: https://github.com/FilipeD/Markdown

Just a thought, I personally love to work with markdown when it comes to formatting lots of content like a wiki - much cleaner. (y)

What the hell is markdown?
The majority of new Wikis and lots of old Wikis are using Markdown Syntax.
Philosophy of Markdown.

Markdown is intended to be as easy-to-read and easy-to-write as is feasible.
Readability, however, is emphasized above all else. A Markdown-formatted document should be publishable as-is, as plain text, without looking like it’s been marked up with tags or formatting instructions. While Markdown’s syntax has been influenced by several existing text-to-HTML filters — including Setext, atx, Textile, reStructuredText, Grutatext, and EtText — the single biggest source of inspiration for Markdown’s syntax is the format of plain text email.
To this end, Markdown’s syntax is comprised entirely of punctuation characters, which punctuation characters have been carefully chosen so as to look like what they mean. E.g., asterisks around a word actually look like *emphasis*. Markdown lists look like, well, lists. Even blockquotes look like quoted passages of text, assuming you’ve ever used email.

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

Sounds like OldSchool. Use a good editor makes Markdown useless.

Whats next? Typewriter?
Well I get what its for... Markdown's primary purpose is to make the EDIT screen of a wiki page as readable as the presentation page itself. Unfortunately, I think the "need" for markdown is inconsequential. If someone doesn't know how to read the edit screen of a wiki page... THEY SHOULDN'T BE EDITING IT!

It's not about that, it's about ease of writing your content. Markdown is VERY EASY to work with and thus it makes for a fast work flow (faster than clicking buttons in an editor, Hoffi). It's just really nice to use over BBcode or HTML.

Sounds like OldSchool. Use a good editor makes Markdown useless.

Whats next? Typewriter?

Well, that's a silly thing to say. In pretty much every metric, Markdown syntax is miles ahead of bbcode-and-friends (except for the parsing complexity, a problem which is solved by the many open-source implementations available). There's a reason Markdown is quickly finding its way, where applicable, to major platforms - github, reddit, just to name two. (whereas bbcode holds it's place mostly out of tradition and habit). Show me a "good editor" that simplifies editing a bbcode-based wiki (or pretty much any form of structured text), and I'll show you how you can use the Markdown syntax to achieve better results in under half the time.

Code:
#List of things:#
1. A thing.
2. Another thing.
3. This other *amazing* thing.

Click [here](http://www.google.com) for other things.

The above markdown-formatted text translates to the following (roughly):

List of things:
  1. A thing.
  2. Another thing.
  3. This other amazing thing.
Click here for other things.

Which corresponds to the following bbcode:

Code:
[SIZE=5]List of things:[/SIZE]
[LIST=1]
[*]A thing.
[*]Another thing.
[*]This other [I]amazing[/I] thing.
[/LIST]

Click [URL='http://www.google.com']here[/URL] for other things.

See my point?

I don't say, thats it is not better as BB-Code. It's like a new style of BB-Code and easier. Thats true.
But we use FCK Editor and other WYSIWYG Editors in the Web. I see no need for BB-Code and Markdown. Just use a good Editor that creates HTML.

The normal User is no longer able to use such Code. The most users want to click on a button. And a Webmaster can use HTML.

I don't say, thats it is not better as BB-Code. It's like a new style of BB-Code and easier. Thats true.
But we use FCK Editor and other WYSIWYG Editors in the Web. I see no need for BB-Code and Markdown. Just use a good Editor that creates HTML.

The normal User is no longer able to use such Code. The most users want to click on a button. And a Webmaster can use HTML.

I'm not sure what falls under the definition of "The normal User" for you, or why you assume such a person is not able to "use such Code", but I can assure you any user who isn't someone's grandma (and user-bases for a forum vary greatly) would much rather use a clean and very popular syntax (such as Markdown) as opposed to working they way around a cumbersome editor. Trying to pad bad choices with more interface layers is a silly thing to do ;)

The User who use a forum once a month didn't know such codes, and don't want to know ist. Onyl typing and Word-like formatting the text.
Thye don't use any formatting Code, if they are not everyday in the internet. They have no know-how in using it, and most of them don't want to know ist. They only want to type in there question. That's the experience I earn in administrate forums and community in the last 11 years.

WYSIWYG editing for wiki/forum combos is the way to go.
Markdown is good for my personal wiki so I can easily edit it on many devices ... ie. Any PC, any mobile.

Hey you guys,

if that is totally in the wrong forum then I deeply apologize and ask you to move it ;-).

we have been working with the xenportal and the xencarta addons and i gotta say they totally rock. an issue to me tho is that when it comes to customizing the xencarta i seem to be at my wits end.

what i have been trying to achieve is the following:

Main category Article 1 in that category
Avatar Article 2 in that category
Article 3 in that category

The way it is now is nicely ordered but i d like to tweak it a little bit, give every category its own little avatar picture and have all the articles of that category listed to the side. I have absolutely no clue as to how to achieve this. Your help is, as always, greatly appreciated

Greetz
fullenchilada

I've merged your thread as questions and support for add-ons should be posted in the respective thread.

Hey you guys,

if that is totally in the wrong forum then I deeply apologize and ask you to move it ;-).

we have been working with the xenportal and the xencarta addons and i gotta say they totally rock. an issue to me tho is that when it comes to customizing the xencarta i seem to be at my wits end.

what i have been trying to achieve is the following:

Main category Article 1 in that category
Avatar Article 2 in that category
Article 3 in that category

The way it is now is nicely ordered but i d like to tweak it a little bit, give every category its own little avatar picture and have all the articles of that category listed to the side. I have absolutely no clue as to how to achieve this. Your help is, as always, greatly appreciated

Greetz
fullenchilada

Do you have a link or a screenshot of what you're trying to achieve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom