• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.2 • character from vB displayed literally

Stuart Wright

So in our vB forums the • character, copied from Word and pasted in to a thread, is displayed as a bullet point dot.
In XF, it's displayed as •

I'm assuming that all odd characters like this will be displayed in the same way.
Is there anything I can do about this to fix it?
Thanks.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you may need an add-on to convert the HTML symbol entities.

Why are they being used in posts anyway?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
When I paste from Word here I get this:

· This is a bullet point pasted from Word

So it sort of works, it's better than the HTML entity code but not as defined as a bullet which looks like this:
  • This is a manually inserted bullet

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
I should note that this is handled in the standard importer.

You'll probably need to write some queries to replace these entities with standard UTF-8 characters after the fact. (Individual characters can be replaced directly in MySQL but doing it generally would likely require custom PHP to do the conversions.)

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Post import, will it be possible to override the formatting stripping you've implemented @Mike?
So that formatting from Word is preserved.

I think that's what Stuart's main query is.

Stuart Wright

I'll direct Jake to this thread. I'm guessing that any processing at the time of the import will slow it down, so it's a task better done post import.
Thank you.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Be aware that after you convert, you will no longer be able to compose in Word and then post in the editor as a lot of the formatting is stripped (deliberately).