1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 domains 1 ip

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by fenx, Jun 1, 2011.

1. fenx

fenx New Member

hi,
    how many lisence to buy five xenforo on same machine.
    thx

2. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I believe each licence is for 1 domain only. Im sure staff will confirm.

3. ZacUSNYR

ZacUSNYR Member

1 license per site/domain.

If you want 5 different boards on 5 different vhosts - you need 5 different liceneses.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

How many installations can I make with a single license?
    Each license permits you to install the software once. However, you may create a single additional test installation for testing purposes only. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to you and your website staff.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/pre-sales-faq.4951/

5. fenx

fenx New Member

great :(

1 machine 5 teams 5 domains 5 licenses :(

6. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

What is your setup going to be live?

7. User

User Well-Known Member

Why so sad?

8. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

5 licenses = 5 * $140.

Sub-Total: $700.00
    Discount: -$100.00
    VAT (20%): $120.00
    Total: $720.00
    I'd be sad when parting with that much money, too ;)

9. Floris

Floris Guest

It's quite simple, this very cheap and competitive software is affordable by consumers. And if you run two boards, you need two licenses.

What you could do perhaps is point the 5 domains to one unique single installed instance. So it has the same main url, the same header, users, and content. But the other 4 domains alias to it (location bar rewrites it to that one main one).

And then because of user contributions or ad-income you can invest in additional licenses and grow the network where those alias domains become their own.

Or

Create a business model for your site, where buying 5 licenses up front is an investment you can earn back within reasonable time.

At least since the stable of 1.x there is an option for bulk pricing. And a generous one that is.

Kim likes this.
  10. User

User Well-Known Member

I'd just consider it the cost of doing business. We don't know what the "teams" fenx mentioned are though if they are professional teams of some sort then it's just a business expense. If they are under-water basket-weaving and speed knitting teams then it may be time for an internal fund raiser to get the case. Then there are always non-commercial forum alternatives.

I just didn't follow the "I am only using it on one machine" line of thought.

11. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. When I went down to the corner shop earlier to get some food, I decided to buy 5 packets of crisps - all for the same stomach - but had to pay for all 5!! :( Fancy that!

Bain and Kim like this.
  12. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

All 5?
    Not fair.
    At least one of them for testing purpose should be free.;)

kaoticnick likes this.
  13. Bain

Bain Active Member

HAHA - Nothing else needs to be said.
    But I will add that I purchased $40 in gas yesterday @ $3.49 per gallon. Why can't it just be $3.49 per car? HAHA

I didn't even receive a Gallon for testing:(

kaoticnick likes this.