XF 2.2 2022 Copyright

Although unless you have actually copyrighted your site, it's meaningless ...
In the US at least, I thought it was technically meaningless not because you need to actually have copyrighted your site, but because the copyright of your published original content is automatic and therefore you don't need to explicitly state it is copyrighted?

It is legally sufficient to place one copyright notice for a website on the home page (usually at the bottom, sometimes known as the "footer"). This single notice is all that's required, no matter how extensive the website. However, you are perfectly free to use more than one notice. If you wish, you can include a notice on the bottom of every single page.

Sometimes, website designers turn the copyright notice into a hyperlink. When users clink on the link, they are sent to a page setting forth copyright and other restrictions on use of the site in more detail. This is not required, but may help deter infringements.

Remember, any piece of writing or artwork is automatically protected under U.S. copyright law, regardless of whether it is formally registered with the U.S. Copyright Office, the federal agency charged with overseeing copyright registration. However, placing the "©" conspicuously on the footer of the website provides a clear signal to Internet users that you are aware of your rights and intend to enforce them.

Should you ever need to sue an infringer, the existence of the copyright notice will help to establish that the defendant had actual notice of your rights. Put differently, he or she will not be able to claim ignorance.

Is this applicable to us?

Although unless you have actually copyrighted your site, it's meaningless ...

Could you elaborate what you mean here?

My understanding has always been that copyright exists at the point of creation and does not need "registering" in any way, unlike a trademark.

Whether there's any point in declaring the copyright is another matter but I don't think that's what you're saying.

My understanding has always been that copyright exists at the point of creation and does not need "registering" in any way, unlike a trademark.

Whether there's any point in declaring the copyright is another matter but I don't think that's what you're saying.
That's what I was saying in my post above. I posted a link to something that describes this. I'm pretty sure this is accurate.

bazinga GIF

Top Bottom