2 Presale Questions (XF branding & user management)

Hello!

After doing oodles upon oodles of research, it looks like I will be making the switch from PHPBB to XenForo. I'm so impressed with the supportive community here, which played a huge role in my decision. (Also, PHPBB is killing me with their antiquated system).

Couple presale questions would help push me over the brink to hit the purchase button today!

1) The branding removal option... What winds up being removed? Is there just a line in the footer that says "Powered by XenForo" or something to that effect? Or is there more than that?

2) I am going to attempt a PHPBB migration since our forum has been up for almost 6 years now. During that time, we've gotten so many spam accounts that I'm not entirely sure if I have deleted them all. Is there a way (in XenForo) to bulk-delete inactive accounts within a specified time period? Say, if a registered user has been inactive for 180 days, I can zap all accounts?

OK, I said 2 questions, but I actually have a 3rd.

3) I'm dying to see AWeber integration. I noticed in one thread ( http://xenforo.com/community/threads/aweber-integration.21676/ ) that a member was offering to build this. Does anybody know if this is underway? I would be happy to chip in! :)

To those who reply, thank you very much! I look forward to becoming one of you :)

Dave

Welcome Dave (y)
1) The branding removal allows you to remove this line:
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2012 XenForo Ltd
Apart from that, everything else can be customised as much as you like if you don't buy the branding removal.

2) This isn't currently a feature, unfortunately. There is this: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/delete-0-posters.14360/ But not quite what you're looking for.

3) Ha... Yes. It is underway... If you'd like to chip in then speak to Kenneth. I haven't actually started it yet but it is one of my next projects :D

1) The branding removal option... What winds up being removed? Is there just a line in the footer that says "Powered by XenForo" or something to that effect? Or is there more than that?

Yup, just the Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2012 XenForo Ltd. link in the footer at the bottom of every page.

2) I am going to attempt a PHPBB migration since our forum has been up for almost 6 years now. During that time, we've gotten so many spam accounts that I'm not entirely sure if I have deleted them all. Is there a way (in XenForo) to bulk-delete inactive accounts within a specified time period? Say, if a registered user has been inactive for 180 days, I can zap all accounts?

Not as default, however it could be easily done via a mysql query or an adodn developper could make it for you probably for an hours work.

3) I'm dying to see AWeber integration. I noticed in one thread ( http://xenforo.com/community/threads/aweber-integration.21676/ ) that a member was offering to build this. Does anybody know if this is underway? I would be happy to chip in! :)

Best to drop Chris Deeming a PM ;)

*Edit* Damn ninjaed...

Wow you guys/girls ROCK!

As the owner of a forum, it was my personal mandate from day one to provide a positive and supportive environment for people. I'm so sick of the egos and nastiness on some forums out there. Everytime I search something there, all I see are helpful, thoughtful replies and as I said, that alone is encouragement enough for me to buy. Thank you!

On the branding front: Sheesh! This forum environment is so well designed that I'd PROUDLY display that line in the footer. :)

To my second question: I'll investigate further to see if it's possible in PHPBB first before I do the import. If I wind up needing help doing it in the db side, anyone here who would be willing to quote me an estimate?

#3: AWeber integration coming? Yay! :) I'll contact the Kenneth and work something out.

Thanks again folks!

Dave

To my second question: I'll investigate further to see if it's possible in PHPBB first before I do the import. If I wind up needing help doing it in the db side, anyone here who would be willing to quote me an estimate?

Depends on the coder but you'd be looking at like 50 bucks or something... just to have a cron job to run daily, obtain users who haven't had activity in >180 days and then deactivate or delete the accounts.

You might want to add some additional conditions, eg 180 days AND no posts or something. But again its simple MySql queries attached to a cron job...

Over time you'll eliminate a lot of real users who will return when they feel a need to return and participate once again. For example, I belong to several Ford truck/VW Beetle/RV forums and have for up to 10 years, but I'm not obsessed with participating in them. I might go months or years with no issues and no need to participate, but eventually I'm back.

A better approach is to delete users who haven't confirmed in their first 10-15 days. There is an addon (XenUtiles) that will do that for you. XenUtiles also provides excellent detection for spam registrations.

One thing I've done manually on one vB board that was infested with spam registrations is to look for accounts with zero activity since their initial registration. That's probably low risk. But if there's any activity after their initial registration & confirmation, I wouldn't think of deleting them.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike! Thankfully PHPBB has a user search query that allowed me to find users with zero posts AND inactive for X number of days. Got rid of over 1000 dead accounts and feeling good!

Now I'm just about to prune much older topics, purchase XenForo, then I'm off to the races to join you folks! :)

Thanks again to everyone for answering :)

Dave welcome to XF.
I am also an admin who is proud to display the XF credit in the footer.

It's a bit of a lack that I can't admin search on users with no posts. The existing search option only lets me specify 1 or more posts, not none. This would be a nifty little addon.

I have small boards though so I've been doing a lot of clearing out manually just running down the memberlist. Cut my list by almost half but what I have now is small, active and REAL. Feels good.

Look forward to working with you.

Top Bottom