2.3 Conversion time

Dixie McCall

I can’t remember (sorry) but on average, about how long does it take for devs to covert their styles and add-ons after a MAJOR xenforo upgrade such as when 2.3 becomes available?

I’ve been here a long time but I can’t remember the time it took for Devs to offer their products following s large change in XF. I’m just trying to plan some purchases of add- ons and a custom style and don’t want to waste any money.

I know every dev is different and every add on and style is different in complexity. I’m just asking for a general average if possible.

TY for any info you can offer. ❤️

There will be a period of time (weeks to months) between XF 2.3 being released as a beta, then RC, before being stable.

It isn't recommended to upgrade to beta or RC on a production site.

Typically that is enough time for styles and add-ons to be updated.

So during these non publicly available phases the devs are using the beta and RC versions to begin their updates? Is that what your saying? I’ve always wondered how they did this. TY

So during these non publicly available phases the devs are using the beta and RC versions to begin their updates? Is that what your saying? I’ve always wondered how they did this. TY
generally you'll create a staging site to test the conversion on to note any issues and report them. This helps expedite future releases for stability.

Also not sure if you recall but it was noted that the style overhaul planned for 2.3 has been pushed back to 3.0 so you should expect extensive update times from 2.3 to 3.0 (though admittedly that is the case for all major upgrades) though devs and style designers will get early access to 3.0 to prepare ahead of time.

Last edited:
I know every dev is different and every add on and style is different in complexity. I’m just asking for a general average if possible.
Historically.. for the x.Y.z releases, I've seen it take between a few days upwards to a few months. It really depends on how much change the x.Y.z release brings and how it affects the add-ons. Usually they are affected less than styles are and require fewer tweaks.
The developers (both style and add-on) get the release (BETA/RC) the same time we all do... they usually spin up a development site on it and start working as soon as it's available, so usually it's shortly after the official release the updates start flowing.
No need to "hold back" on purchasing any add-ons/styles now. You can feel pretty assured they will be updated and available shortly after the official release hits. Do NOT expect them to be released during the BETA/RC period unless as BETA/RC's themselves, as most don't want to release an official update based upon changing code.

It's usually weeks or months for 2.x compatible add-ons to be released. Of course it depends on the complexity of the add-on.

Complex add-ons like Showcase will take some time.

Also we have no idea how much will be different with 2.3 yet so who knows.

I'd love to see some work in progress, even if it's just draft wise. A screenshot of something is better than nothing and would calm down a lot of people.

Pretty please? @Chris D

Top Bottom