Lack of interest 2.2 Thumbnail Sizes

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Seeker-Smith

I think it's a really bad idea to lock admin's into a minimum 150 X 150 thumbnail size for several reasons.
1) Why change something that was working great and not broken
2) Any site selling picture content will not like this. A thumb at 150 X 150 is giving the content away for free.
3) My site and others like mine have threads that may go back years and are still active. In my case a post in the threads can have up to 50 thumbs. Example 50 post X 50 thumbs = 2500 thumbnails at 150 X 150 have to load.
4) Why bother giving us the option to resize? You'll say because some sites want bigger thumbs. Well what us that don't? I switched to xenforo because of the way images were presented.
5) If I try to reduce my thumb size the quality gets really bad really quickly.

PLEASE reconsider making the thumb size 150px. I could live with 100px no problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
These days a 100x100 thumbnail is pretty tiny but what I think you're having an issue with is that if use a thumbsize smaller than 150 then the thumbs appear stretched & distorted in the attachment list because there they expect the size to be at least 150.

On your test install play around with changing the attachments.less template and changing near the top the value of @_fileMinSize: 165px; to @_fileMinSize: 115px; -- there may be other spots you'd need to tweak but that may put you on the path you want at least.

These days a 100x100 thumbnail is pretty tiny but what I think you're having an issue with is that if use a thumbsize smaller than 150 then the thumbs appear stretched & distorted in the attachment list because there they expect the size to be at least 150.

On your test install play around with changing the attachments.less template and changing near the top the value of @_fileMinSize: 165px; to @_fileMinSize: 115px; -- there may be other spots you'd need to tweak but that may put you on the path you want at least.

I'm currently using 75 X 75. I can live with 100 X 100.

Thanks I'll try the hack but I really hope that current site owners have a choice. Less is more.

This 150 thumb size is also problematic on mobile. 2 thumbs wide it take forever to scroll down 50.

Also the side by side when uploading you don't know when the last attachment finishes unless you hit that button 50 times to get the the last thumb.

Well I have to eat crow.Once I convert to RC2 and rebuilt my thumbs to 150px. My members largely approved. I even have to admin that the cropping I complained about is no big deal.

So the only issue I have remaining is when you're batch uploading on mobile getting to the last image so you know the upload is done is a pain.

Top Bottom