1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

127.0.0.1 or localhost?

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by CyclingTribe, Mar 28, 2013.

1. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

When a machine refers to itself in config files etc. is it better to use the IP address (127.0.0.1) or DNS name (localhost)?

ISTR reading somewhere that the IP address was the most efficient because it removed the need for a name lookup/resolution, but I'm not convinved that local host does a lookup?

Anyone know - or are they the same?

Cheers,
    Shaun :D

2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

127.0.0.1 will be faster, though the localhost lookup will be a few ms at most.

Adam Howard likes this.
  3. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

127.0.0.1 won't do a lookup in your /etc/hosts file, but that will probably be really small anyway, so you'll not really notice any difference.

Code:
    [root@vps2 elasticsearch]#cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1              localhost.localdomain localhost
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx                    vps2.z22se.com

4. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Also, won't localhost try to connect to a unix socket in the first instance?

5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yeah, I was going to comment on that.

euantor and MattW like this.
  6. CyclingTribe

Is that a good or a bad thing? And would it be required in some instances?

7. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

unix socket supposed to be faster than tcp/ip, because it doesn't have the tcp/ip overhead. It's also secure for stuff like MySQL where you can only connect to it on the local machine.

CyclingTribe and Mike like this.
  8. CyclingTribe

So for my XF config.php file I want to be using 'localhost' as opposed to 127.0.0.1 ?

9. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Yeah, then it will connect to the socket for MySQL, as opposed to tcp port 3306.

Do a netstat -an | grep 3306 is see if you currently have any connections to MySQL on that port.

I have skip-networking enabled in MySQL, so it doesn't even port a listen on that port

Code:
    root@vps [/home/z22se/public_html/forum/library]# netstat -an | grep 3306
    root@vps [/home/z22se/public_html/forum/library]# 

Hoffi likes this.
  10. CyclingTribe

Code:
    root:/# netstat -an | grep 3306
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3306            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

Presumably it would be better to use localhost for my backend cache server name instead of 127.0.0.1 too?

11. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

What do you use for the back end cache?

12. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I'm going to argue that it varies depending on setup. I had one host where 127.0.01 was fast and others where localhost was faster.

Of course these were in shared hosting setups, so I'm sure there were other factors.

13. CyclingTribe

Libmemcached backend on Debian dedicated server with Percona MySQL.

14. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

These types of threads urge me to kill things.

euantor and Luke F like this.
  15. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Care to expand?

16. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Sure. Localhost or 127.0.0.1 on the same box will be sub nanoseconds. It is the same box.

17. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

True, but that's not the only thing that has been discussed in this thread.

18. CyclingTribe

Well I personally don't need to save time - I have a 64GB RAM SSD server that coasts even at busy times - but I was interested in the difference and whether using one or the other was faster / a better convention / or made a practical or programatic difference?

If there's a good practical reason for using localhost then that's what I'd like to do; but if there's absolutely no difference that's good to know too. (y)

Cheers,
    Shaun :D

19. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

CyclingTribe likes this.
  20. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Sysadmins will use localhost. It will resolve to their local box where the command was run.

CyclingTribe likes this.