1.0.0 Special offer?

Diablotic

What is this special offer...?

This stable release is accompanied by our new end-user documentation, bulk discount scheme and a special offer to thank those who have supported us over the past few months.

Unless they ask someone for the database structure - they don't really need the files to be executed. (although I don't know if that's against the rules).
They'd still need the code to know where the database contents are called to, their uses, etc.

That's like me giving you a phpBB database and telling you to create an XF importer without any knowledge of where the database contents are being used.

The discount was interesting enough, especially knowing it will go back to $140 after march 15, and because there will be VAT on top of it in April .. Who knows! Despite bulk pricing the price might go up in a year or so when I need another license.

$115 investment now, and also to support them financially due to the lawsuit-costs, sounds like a deal to me.

*clicks the buy button*

The discount was interesting enough, especially knowing it will go back to $140 after march 15, and because there will be VAT on top of it in April .. Who knows! Despite bulk pricing the price might go up in a year or so when I need another license.

$115 investment now, and also to support them financially due to the lawsuit-costs, sounds like a deal to me.

*clicks the buy button*
Yeah it really is tempting to buy two additional licenses and even an extra year of upgrades for them to avoid VAT. But it feels a bit like a dive in the unknown for me too. Not thinking of the lawsuit specifically although when investing a fair amount of money everything comes into play and feels like a risk. Need to think about this...

You only need to charge VAT if your business earns over a certain threshold per annum I believe... so that's probably why from 1st April.. though I thought the financial year ends 5th April?

Yeah it really is tempting to buy two additional licenses and even an extra year of upgrades for them. But it feels a bit like a dive in the unknown for me too. Not thinking of the lawsuit specifically although when investing a fair amount of money everything comes into play and feels like a risk. Need to think about this...

I don't care about the lawsuits.

I felt that vBulletin 3 would be fine for a few more years, without even considering version 4. And I was right. A lot of sites that I still like run on vB3, and do just fine. However, compared to XenForo it feels outdated.

XenForo had this stable feeling since the alpha, and the stable is out now. Even if it discontinues as a product it will be a more modern solution for me and my communities that I power with it, for a handful of years.

I strongly believe the framework allows for great add-ons to be developed quickly, and using sites where styles are made and xenfans and what not .. they will be easy to share as well. There's a strong enough community behind it to make something that's worth upgrading from vBulletin or IPB from, for me at least, for the next 24 months. And I believe that in 2011 there won't be an outcome in the negative towards XenForo Limited that affects customers or development, so that's about 6+ good months of maintenance and point releases, and in 2012 those 24 months start ..

A few years for me to run a fun community, sounds like a good hobby to me.

Things always change, we will see if that 'worst case scenario' even applies to customers, in what shape or form, and how that affects me running a hobby site.

Top Bottom