XF2.3 feedback and comments

at some point, you need to let users have at it because (a) they are highly likely to find stuff you missed and (b) user environments are going to be much more complex than any dev or QA can be. Custom work, different combinations of add-ons, and so on.
Precisely my point, for those who'd argue it should occur ONLY in a test environment. There is no argument to be made. If that process wholly worked, we'd never encounter bugs in software, issues with our automobiles, and so on. The test environment would always catch these issues, right? Clearly they don't. Stating otherwise defies even basic logic.

I have been having issues using TOR browser to log in several times. I get the little bar in the upper right scanning and then nothing. Have to open the link to log in in another tab and then I can log in.
Don't know if it's a TOR browser issue, xenforo or a combination of both.
And before others chime in, I use TOR browser as a preference and do not have a desire to change it as I am used to it.

I have been having issues using TOR browser to log in several times. I get the little bar in the upper right scanning and then nothing. Have to open the link to log in in another tab and then I can log in.
And before others chime in, I use TOR browser as a preference and do not have a desire to change it as I am used to it.
You having this issue with all xenforo sites or just this one? Is it since 2.3 or always?

Could be that XFcom blocks tor as a spam measure.

You having this issue with all xenforo sites or just this one? Is it since 2.3 or always?

Could be that XFcom blocks tor as a spam measure.
Just this one and since the last several days. Every now and then when it keeps happening I can choose a new circuit and it might work.
It is easier clicking on the login link to open in a new tab. Does not happen on my site or the site I am staff on.
I will try to use the developer tools next time it happens. Usually I just want to log in.

We don't.

XF doesn't have anything built in which would do that.
Just this one and since the last several days. Every now and then when it keeps happening I can choose a new circuit and it might work.
It is easier clicking on the login link to open in a new tab. Does not happen on my site or the site I am staff on.
Could it be an IP range or country block that Tor is using?

another problem I regularly have.
if I use the attach files option often my attached image shows up fuzzed out by lines or other drawing.
This post is a perfect case.

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 7.04.53 PM.webp

if I drag and drop it into the editor it works fine.

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 7.08.58 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 7.04.53 PM.webp

Search doesn't appear to be working correctly, at least not on my newest site running 2.3 - examples below:

This thread is listed in a forum:
1711184954716.webp

If I search for Bandit Biscuits:

1711185033097.webp

I get this:

1711185079487.webp

Various combinations offer up the same result.

This happens for anything in the forum, however the results are inconsistent as 'sometimes' it works depending on where I am and what I am searching for. Even advanced search returns the same results. I've also rebuilt the search index numerous times without success.

I'm wondering if this is unique to my site, or whether anyone else is experiencing the same issue - I do not have elastic search as I'm on shared hosting; also I'm running on MariaDB.

Everything else is working so far without issue, barring the obvious in terms of themes and some add-ons.

Suggestions?

Search is currently broken in beta 1 (direct message search is causing results to be unexpectedly filtered out). It will be fixed in beta 2, and they rolled out an initial fix here already

If you continue to experience issues please post a bug report with as much info as possible including OS and browser version. Such issues should not be discussed in threads like this.

If you continue to experience issues please post a bug report with as much info as possible including OS and browser version. Such issues should not be discussed in threads like this.
ok
thought this was a feedback area but if you think it may be a bug can report there.
was not sure if it could be the TOR browser or XF. TOR browser can interact funny on some sites.

Bye bye jQuery​

After being part of our product since the beginning, it is now the right time to say goodbye to jQuery.

jQuery is a JavaScript library which encapsulates a great deal of native JavaScript functionality into an alternative set of functions with a liberal sprinkling of syntactic sugar.

This kinda sux TBH. I understand the want to drop jQuery but it is a bit of a pain.

Some addons use scripts for which there are no full-fledged open source alternatives like sortable.js and lightSlider as an example.

Also XF JS core lacks many of the useful utils
With native JS we will have to add this to every add-on or make a core add-on that they will depend on. (don't like it, it's hard to maintain).

XF bundles Fancyapps Carousel as a replacement for lightSlider (including a backwards-compatible XF.Carousel handler), and a vanilla JS port of the jQuery nestable plugin that has been included since XF 2 for drag-and-drop sorting (including a backwards-compatible XF.Nestable handler).

I haven't run into a shortage of vanilla JS libraries, personally. I don't find the native JS APIs to be especially cumbersome, and I think our library covers the gap for the most common deficits (though I respect others feel differently). If you feel there's anything particularly important missing do let us know.

Top Bottom