vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
vB5.but.i.am.viewing.the.page.webp

I read this is vB5 beta10.
Was beta 9 on paper ?

I've seen it and there are some good OK concepts... the problem: they are very bad implemented and to slow and buggy, even for a beta. Plus, it's unfair that they can develop freely and others cannot because they have a gun to their heads... totally unfair. For that last reason, I feel I can never go back to vb ever again!

With vB5 out of the bag, it is clear there is a greater void between XF and vB5 than XF and vB4. oops....
This is exactly my point. IB claims that XenForo stole their technology. Now that IB's master technology is out 2 years later, it's time to stack them one against another. Making the comparison exposes the obvious fraud. With 2 extra years and dozens more developers, the VB 5 product doesn't even stack up to what 2 guys did in one year. So much for stolen technology versus the real "world class" talent.

PS - Paul, thanks for the honest assessment.

Thats a loaded question, and usually id just ignore or dismiss such an obvious attempt at baiting.

However, Im going to bite a little bit.

I dont know why its so appallingly slow on that server, my test forum is at least 5x faster, and only on a test server.
Dont get me wrong, its still slow, badly so in places, but a couple of people (Freddie being one I can think of) are going through it to find the bottlenecks.

Since vB 4.2.0 Ive not had a great deal of involvement with vB5 other than fixing the hooks and extensions to work (in June and early July).

Since then ive mostly just dealt with bug reportss, and a large portion of my time has been spent on the helping with the vb.com site project - for the new marketing and sales site. Im still not overly familiar with all the internal workings of vB5, but I have seen some real valid technical complaints and concerns raised. That said, at the same time, much of what Ive seen so far is just personal dislike of the look & features (or lack of in some cases), or just a dislike of IB in general, which i mostly skip over as irrelevant.

Ther are many points about it I dont like either, but I know people who do like some of those things I dislike, so there you go. Cannot please everyone.
There are some things that really do seem to be universally hated, less now as some of them have already been removed / altered due to Alpha testers "forceful" comments. :)

Paul - I will say thank you for coming over here and giving an honest, detailed answer. It's appreciated.

Hey Paul, thanks for stopping by and giving it to us straight as you see it! Must have been a "challenging" day for you guys over there today. I think you all handled it well, considering.

I dunno what vBulletin's language is.... but this...

vb5crap.webp

Is unacceptable. I could understand a blog software messing up the at sign by translating them into "&" when outputting it in URL's but not in the actual threadview.

After vB let me go I still answered ImpEx questions on the forum. Though I haven't done much of that in the last several months. Too busy.
With decisions like that, it's clear why vb5 turned out as it has.

As someone said on the VB forums, hiring 2 developers for $100/hr would have been better than hiring 20 developers for $10/hr.

Only to help people with support questions. After vB let me go I still answered ImpEx questions on the forum. Though I haven't done much of that in the last several months. Too busy.

I had an ImpEx issue I never did get resolved. In fact, I can't recall from my vB days if it was you or Jerry that tried to help me with it. ;)

This is exactly my point. IB claims that XenForo stole their technology. Now that IB's master technology is out 2 years later, it's time to stack them one against another. Making the comparison exposes the obvious fraud. With 2 extra years and dozens more developers, the VB 5 product doesn't even stack up to what 2 guys did in one year. So much for stolen technology versus the real "world class" talent.

My argument is that they are not even after the same market anymore: vB5 wants to be a site platform (according to what is posted in their forum) with a discussion board, but XF is sticking to its core discussion board product only. The end results are not even close IMHO...the styles of both boards, side by side, look and feel completely different to me.

(y)

Thats a loaded question, and usually id just ignore or dismiss such an obvious attempt at baiting.

However, Im going to bite a little bit.

I dont know why its so appallingly slow on that server, my test forum is at least 5x faster, and only on a test server.
Dont get me wrong, its still slow, badly so in places, but a couple of people (Freddie being one I can think of) are going through it to find the bottlenecks.

Since vB 4.2.0 Ive not had a great deal of involvement with vB5 other than fixing the hooks and extensions to work (in June and early July).

Since then ive mostly just dealt with bug reportss, and a large portion of my time has been spent on the helping with the vb.com site project - for the new marketing and sales site. Im still not overly familiar with all the internal workings of vB5, but I have seen some real valid technical complaints and concerns raised. That said, at the same time, much of what Ive seen so far is just personal dislike of the look & features (or lack of in some cases), or just a dislike of IB in general, which i mostly skip over as irrelevant.

Ther are many points about it I dont like either, but I know people who do like some of those things I dislike, so there you go. Cannot please everyone.
There are some things that really do seem to be universally hated, less now as some of them have already been removed / altered due to Alpha testers "forceful" comments. :)
However, the code is complete and utter crap. It isn't fixable. Not the architecture, not anything. I am not speaking to just hate on it. I am an experienced programmer who has looked at the code and can see MANY MANY bad bits of code in EVERY file. What this is currently can not be fixed. Not for a developer. It might end up working in the end for the end user and have people use it etc, but the code is beyond repair and I would be surprised if they can manage to hack it to be fast enough to compete with other solutions.
Shame really, I was looking for a new market to get into.
And once again I'm not just hating on it. They might have some good ideas that will come out of it and used on other solutions. And this might make them pull their heads in and do a proper rewrite for vb6. But the code itself is horrible. Has outsourced juniors written all over it.

However, the code is complete and utter crap. It isn't fixable. Not the architecture, not anything. I am not speaking to just hate on it. I am an experienced programmer who has looked at the code and can see MANY MANY bad bits of code in EVERY file. What this is currently can not be fixed. Not for a developer. It might end up working in the end for the end user and have people use it etc, but the code is beyond repair and I would be surprised if they can manage to hack it to be fast enough to compete with other solutions.
Shame really, I was looking for a new market to get into.
And once again I'm not just hating on it. They might have some good ideas that will come out of it and used on other solutions. And this might make them pull their heads in and do a proper rewrite for vb6. But the code itself is horrible. Has outsourced juniors written all over it.

That is prity much how I feel. I was hopeful vb5 was something i could get into again but the css structure/html is an absolute nightmare to work with from a styling point of view. I've spent about 4-5 hours styling it and what should be simplistic fixes is a laborious task that has you pulling your hair out in shreds. I'm not knocking vb5, I actually wanted to use it again and thought they would have learned from previous mistakes but anyone that styles will know what I'm talking about if they get the teeth into the styling areas. This isn't a case of preference, it's really that terrible.

I know it's only Beta, but even Beta products are a strong indicator what the product will be like and if memory recalls XF Alpha was an absolute pleasure to style and work with so there's no excuse for the poor styling engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom