vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is prity much how I feel. I was hopeful vb5 was something i could get into again but the css structure/html is an absolute nightmare to work with from a styling point of view. I've spent about 4-5 hours styling it and what should be simplistic fixes is a laborious task that has you pulling your hair out in shreds. I'm not knocking vb5, I actually wanted to use it again and thought they would have learned from previous mistakes but anyone that styles will know what I'm talking about if they get the teeth into the styling areas. This isn't a case of preference, it's really that terrible.

I know it's only Beta, but even Beta products are a strong indicator what the product will be like and if memory recalls XF Alpha was an absolute pleasure to style and work with so there's no excuse for the poor styling engine.
Do you prefer styling xenforo or vBulletin (any version of it)?

That is prity much how I feel. I was hopeful vb5 was something i could get into again but the css structure/html is an absolute nightmare to work with from a styling point of view. I've spent about 4-5 hours styling it and what should be simplistic fixes is a laborious task that has you pulling your hair out in shreds. I'm not knocking vb5, I actually wanted to use it again and thought they would have learned from previous mistakes but anyone that styles will know what I'm talking about if they get the teeth into the styling areas. This isn't a case of preference, it's really that terrible.

I know it's only Beta, but even Beta products are a strong indicator what the product will be like and if memory recalls XF Alpha was an absolute pleasure to style and work with so there's no excuse for the poor styling engine.
But they have so many classes, surely it is flexible? :cautious:

Do you prefer styling xenforo or vBulletin (any version of it)?

Nothing Touches or comes close to xenforo styling engine template system. I thought vb5 would have atleast come close but I doubt that will be the case. However, IPB might pull something out of the bag if I understood their announcement regarding IPB 4.0 which is they will be polishing up existing features which is a damn good move because if they improve their style engine, amongst other stuff (i won't get into) it'll be a great product so the point of that xenforo devs cannot sit on their arse for too long because chances are IPB 4.0 may be a surprise to all.

Do not show the vb5demo to Kier and Mike. They will be speachless, and then we will never have an update here...
LOL... yer... no real competition it seems from VB, which many expected XF to inspire them into a solid product, yet they continue to fail... which was also anticipated.

I think VB just successfully accomplished pushing more of their customer base to IPB and XF. Funny stuff.

Do not show the vb5demo to Kier and Mike. They will be speachless, and then we will never have an update here...
IPB developers were in the xenforo subforum on adminextra giving discounts a week or two ago.

That was a very bold move. IPB will benefit the most out of vB5, more than xenforo and vbulletin itself lol.

Nothing Touches or comes close to xenforo styling engine template system. I thought vb5 would have atleast come close but I doubt that will be the case. However, IPB might pull something out of the bag if I understood their announcement regarding IPB 4.0 which is they will be polishing up existing features which is a damn good move because if they improve their style engine, amongst other stuff (i won't get into) it'll be a great product so the point of that xenforo devs cannot sit on their arse for too long because chances are IPB 4.0 may be a surprise to all.
Never seen the backend of IPB. How is it styling compared to vb4 and xenforo?

Just spent about 5 minutes viewing the demo. I'm actually speechless -- not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Never seen the backend of IPB. How is it styling compared to vb4 and xenforo?
IPB is a nice piece of software. They've done an exceptional job on piecing together a product solution in parts, allowing a person to pick and choose. The only problem is that it's also bloated and very resource intensive. You would be better off running Joomla 2.5 and XF than their CMS + Forum product, as an example. The cost would hurt if the site became large.

Their backend is pretty tidy as well. Like anything... you get used to it from using it.

My philosophy is that a blank software should be fast, responsive and stable. Nobody wants boring default, so you need room to add third party features. IPB struggles in this area unfortunately. The default product is resource intensive, but manageable I guess. When you start adding features, you want to be prepared for a dedicated server much earlier than say VB3.x or XF software, either one using Joomla 2.5 as a CMS. Wordpress is a huge resource hog now too, unfortunately.

This is what I like about XF. The raw product is so damn fast, it's a rare software package. You then have room to add lots of features without killing yourself at the server. I had it working on a single core with 400k posts and 5k visitors daily, with moderate features. I've only recently had to shift it to a dedicated, though I can now add more features because I have craploads of headroom at the server, with a higher post count and nearing 7k daily visitors, and the server is humming along with 600 online, no great deal... packed with features.

I suspect if I was still using VB4.x, my current server would be bordering unhealthy trying to dredge the software along, in conjunction with all the third party features, let alone VB5.x. People will be needing massive server upgrades if they upgrade their 4.x site from the way that software performed when I viewed the demo. Yuk!

I am just a basic user. No Programmer, and don't know techie stuff...

Tried to vote on the demo and see what I got? The option is selected, and still the error says "Select an Option first"? ;)
I have selected my option indeed, no more VB crap either its vb5 or vb50,000.

vb5crap.jpg

Reactions: vVv
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom