XF 1.0 Pages

Pages allow you to manage simple content in the node tree. Find out more here:

http://xenforo.com/community/pages/example-page/

The node list display could do with some improvements. We have some ideas about that.

The exact look of the auto-generated navigation is a work-in-progress as well. :)

When I was practicing on a sample page, Mike told me to add only my content, that the page wrapper is automatically added, which includes the navigation bar, header, breadcrumbs, footer, etc.
I guess I'll just have to wait to see how it works :D

Patience isn't one of my virtues though :mad:

****!, i probably dont even need a CMS then.
We need an :awesome: smiley.

Like forums are routed with /forums/ and threads with /threads/, pages are /pages/ - just so you know.
personally, i dont mind, because our blog would be /blog/ or /news/ or something as well.

As a test I have made a parent page for 'xenfans', with a child page for 'about us' and another child page for 'meet the team'. And updated the navigation template to replace 'home' tab with 'xenfans' dropdown, linking to home, about, team, policies.

Another example is that i've created a tab called 'guides' for documentation, with sibling sections for user guide, mod guide, admin guide, with sub pages for 'how to post' under user guide, and 'learn how to use the profile page' under user guide, and added a sibling forum called 'comments' to which those pages link to, so users can leave comments to the pages with questions.

Of course, all this is subject to change, but that's how it currently worked in an alpha.

Like forums are routed with /forums/ and threads with /threads/, pages are /pages/ - just so you know.
personally, i dont mind, because our blog would be /blog/ or /news/ or something as well.

As a test I have made a parent page for 'xenfans', with a child page for 'about us' and another child page for 'meet the team'. And updated the navigation template to replace 'home' tab with 'xenfans' dropdown, linking to home, about, team, policies.

Another example is that i've created a tab called 'guides' for documentation, with sibling sections for user guide, mod guide, admin guide, with sub pages for 'how to post' under user guide, and 'learn how to use the profile page' under user guide, and added a sibling forum called 'comments' to which those pages link to, so users can leave comments to the pages with questions.

Of course, all this is subject to change, but that's how it currently worked in an alpha.
Anyway we can see that, maybe screenshots?

... page' under user guide, and added a sibling forum called 'comments' to which those pages link to, so users can leave comments to the pages with questions.

Great Floris that's exactly what I suggested a while ago to substitute for a blog. I think a Page article + partner Forum is a good combo. In fact I like it better than blog style.
However the linking between the two needs to be mutual. That is the forum links off the Page (top and bottom) - no problem. That's a Page template detail.
But the Page also needs to link prominently off the partnered forum. Obviously this could be a sticked post but that means leaving another thread, or a post you're writing, to open the Page to check anything. Also it's leaving the Page link hidden behind something else.

Maybe you have a solution already but I would suggest a prominent box at the top AND bottom of such a forum with the Page link in it in large lettering + a snippet text. At the top beside the Title and comparable sizee.
Something like that. Not sure how to make it easy to insert such a box - doing it in html each time is a bit tiresome maybe a tiny option mod?

Thinking further it would be neater if the Page type side menu could be on the partner forums as well - then all such Pages and their forums would look better integrated.

What do you think?

Great Floris that's exactly what I suggested a while ago to substitute for a blog. I think a Page article + partner Forum is a good combo. In fact I like it better than blog style.
However the linking between the two needs to be mutual. That is the forum links off the Page (top and bottom) - no problem. That's a Page template detail.
But the Page also needs to link prominently off the partnered forum. Obviously this could be a sticked post but that means leaving another thread, or a post you're writing, to open the Page to check anything. Also it's leaving the Page link hidden behind something else.

Maybe you have a solution already but I would suggest a prominent box at the top AND bottom of such a forum with the Page link in it in large lettering + a snippet text. At the top beside the Title and comparable sizee.
Something like that. Not sure how to make it easy to insert such a box - doing it in html each time is a bit tiresome maybe a tiny option mod?

Thinking further it would be neater if the Page type side menu could be on the partner forums as well - then all such Pages and their forums would look better integrated.

What do you think?
I'd prefer a partner thread per page, rather than a partner forum. Just so that if I post a comment on the page, it appears on the thread and vice versa. Of course in some situations a partner forum would be desirable.

I'd prefer a partner thread per page, rather than a partner forum. Just so that if I post a comment on the page, it appears on the thread and vice versa. Of course in some situations a partner forum would be desirable.
That would require a plugin.

Booth an XF Page has no Comment feature. It's not a blog. It's a text and graphics/. html content page which could be authored as an Article, a Help/ Guide page, lists of useful info or links, a kind of portal page for a forum or group of forums, an access limited staff page etc Pages also can have a node menu on the left linking to other Pages; finally they can also appear in the list of forums as if they are forums.

This idea I'm describing is a workaround to get a blog, or use the Pages as an information or graphical basis for forum discussion/ help requests etc.
Comments etc can be connected by having a forum with the same title (or a shortened version). The forum URL is then linked off the Page by its author.

You could if you like collect such Comments together for several different Pages in one Comments forum (or a name you choose). That would involve setting up a thread per Page for in the forum their Comments.
Your URL link off each Page would then be their associated thread in the Comments forum.
I think you might need also in this case to bar any new threads being made - maybe have one at the top for "Anything Else."

Depends which solution works for you. If a Page was likely to generate various aspects of discussions a whole forum associated with it would be best.
If you had a bunch of Pages with limited amounts of discussion likely per Page/
or the Pages were connected as to topics, then the second way might suit.

I know nothing about wordpress. I understand that pages, at least at this time, are html only.
Sorry if it was a silly question :oops:

There is talk of a mod to make XF and Wordpress work together. A Search on wordpress will find it.

Questions are rarely silly. They are the effort to learn which is intelligent activity. :)

Top Bottom