Implemented  hover over topic title shows part of the first post

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I am really loving this implementation, but I think the avatar and the whole bottom of the little box can be done away with; it's nothing but redundant information. See attachment.
hover.webp

This would help slim the box down quite a bit. The removal of the avatar would allow for a wider block of text, and the removal of the bottom information (date and username) would allow for a reduction in the height of the box.

Also, is there any chance of removing line breaks in the thread preview? IMO, this:
Hi,

I am here to tell you:

XenForo is awesome.

Should appear in the preview as:
Hi, I am here to tell you: XenForo is awesome.

Yes, if the design is to always show the first users post then the avatar is not needed, nor is the time stamp.

If the intent is to eventually use this in Personal conversations, or hover over last user in a list of threads to show last post content, then the avatar may be a good thing.

edit: I changed my mind. Also I am not sure I agree with removing or changing the formatting of the words in the preview.

Need to add a few more touches like detecting that the popup is off the bottom of the screen. Flip the /\ to \/, place it at the bottom of the popup and move the popup above the link.

Actually I've changed my mind after reading the other comments in other threads. The way it is done now with the avatar really is awesome. Might want to leave that the way it is for the time being.

The timing of things seems to keep changing though. It almost seems like:
  • There is a long initial wait time for the casual users
  • Once that wait time is met the preview pops up
  • Then it is in a 'quick preview' mode where there is no wait time when going between threads to see the other previews.
If that is the way it is supposed to work, that is a stroke of genius (2 modes). However it is not really repeatable enough for me to tell. It seems to come out of the no-delay mode too easily, I would think a full second of no thread previews would be required to go back to the slow mode.

Or could that be just some side effects of the coding? Serendipity?

This is what I think it should look like:

preview.webp

With the pop-up off to the side it doesn't interfere with browsing other threads. The avatar is nice-looking but the date is redundant, so I removed it. What do you guys think? :)

Took me forever to do in Firebug. Those damn CSS "border triangles" are hard to work with. :P

I like the current implemented version better.

do not forget about the "fixed width style".
I'm on the fixed-width style right now. :) You could make it so that if it hits the right edge, it drops below and turns into the version implemented now. It would just be a few lines of CSS that change, really. It's better on the side because it doesn't obscure the other links. :)

Figured I'd make a new topic for this, as it is a separate suggestion.

I love the preview (I don't really use it, but it works better then every solution I've seen so far), and I like how it works; the only thing I do not like however is that it pops right under the thread, covering up thread titles below the initial one.

When I browse, I usually speed read the title, and open up every title on the What's New page with my middle wheel; I am finding that the preview gets in the way making me have to slow down, and I can already see it getting a bit aggravating (I sometimes leave 10 pages of topics I need to go through, which would seriously get annoying, as well as be much slower).

I'd like to see the thread preview offset slight to the right, either a bit past the middle of the thread, or to the direct right of the topic title (Similar to forum descriptions).

If you like this, please like this post so they know to implement it. 

Erikrocks posted a nice mockup of right offset (I just this second found it), hopefully this helps back up my right offset idea.

preview-png.1292

Top Bottom