Implemented  hover over topic title shows part of the first post

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Looks good. :)

But can we please have a slightly increased wait time?

It seems to be interfering with the usual "Ctrl - Click - Click - Click - ..." habit.
(as it appears a bit quicker than a traditional tool-tip.)

I actually like the speed

In fact, I was finding myself getting a little impatient hovering over something and waiting for the preview to pop up. I can also see how it could get annoying if you're navigating the topic list slowly.

I think the timing is good right now.

But can we please have a slightly increased wait time?

It seems to be interfering with the usual "Ctrl - Click - Click - Click - ..." habit.
(as it appears a bit quicker than a traditional tool-tip.)
Yeah I notice that too.
I actually like the speed

In fact, I was finding myself getting a little impatient hovering over something and waiting for the preview to pop up. I can also see how it could get annoying if you're navigating the topic list slowly.

I think the timing is good right now.

It's snappy, but for someone like me who goes to What's New? and likes to open multiple tabs from that page it gets very annoying/distractive very quickly as it gets in the way of thread titles under it.

Yeah, the delay is definitely too short - it wasn't something that was easy to test without real world usage. (It's 500ms right now.)

Problem is, the delay right now is about the same, if not slower, than that of those guys (vBulletin). I know you hate the comparisons.

The difference, and the reason it is not annoying over there, is because for them it's just a tooltip and not a large box that covers up multiple lines of text behind it. Make it much slower than it is now and I think it'll definitely be too slow.

Either way it's not a big deal to me though.

I agree. I think it should be set so to an average time users take to click a topic, probably a delay of 1 to 2 secs?
1-2 seconds?
Most people won't ever notice the feature exists.

Right now I find it more annoying than useful due to the amount of time it takes to display the content.

Right now I find it more annoying than useful due to the amount of time it takes to display the content.

Using IE? I noticed that too, but once loaded for that thread it is snappy when you go back to it. With FF, Opera, and Safari it loads pretty quickly.

Anything above 500ms would be good. But 1+ second would be excessive.

One-off clicks on the thread title won't be disrupted; since you click on the thread title and almost always immediately withdraw the cursor from the title. So the advanced tool-tip isn't triggered. But when you are going "Ctrl - Click Click Click ...", you click on the thread title, pause (for maybe 100-200ms) and then move to the next link right below. By the time you move to the next link below, the tool-tip has already been triggered. :)

To me it's about right in Safari. Shows in half a second I think, and only when hovering the link, so you can still scroll and check out the thread list without constantly being bothered with them like in vB. Maybe I personally would set it to one second... because you're not always going to want to see the preview when wanting to just click the link.

You could even set a little transparency (like 1-5%) to the white background of the popup, like it's done in OS X menu's.

It looks really great. Gonna 'test'(whatever that may mean ;)) it now some more...

There is some user-testing feedback:

Op's, the border is too thick and does not fit the design
Yes, maybe just a little bit too thick and just a little too dark coloured. It really stands out very much on the otherwise light design, I agree.

But, still looks great.

As I said, still looks great now. (/repeat mode)

What do others think of the colours/design of it?

I, along with quite a lot of other ex-VB users suggested this for IPB and they were quite down on the idea. Then they decided to implement it, but the way it's implemented is that on mouse-over an icon appears that you can click and have a post preview. Not sure if I prefer it VB's way really as the less clicks the better.

Top Bottom