Forum community options

Fairly complete basic feature set, even if there is room for improvement. For all its flaws, the editor (Froala) does the job well for basic posting. Management is fairly easy if you're comfortable around computers and have a good basic knowledge set about them. Has both cloud and self-hosted options so you have choice in how to run it (I'm self-hosted but that's because I predate the cloud). Has support and a strong, supportive user community, which puts it a notch above a lot of the open source options I've seen. Just some first thoughts. That said, I've only been a user or mod on other systems, XF is the only one where I've been an admin/sysadmin.

Fairly complete basic feature set, even if there is room for improvement. For all its flaws, the editor (Froala) does the job well for basic posting. Management is fairly easy if you're comfortable around computers and have a good basic knowledge set about them. Has both cloud and self-hosted options so you have choice in how to run it (I'm self-hosted but that's because I predate the cloud). Has support and a strong, supportive user community, which puts it a notch above a lot of the open source options I've seen. Just some first thoughts. That said, I've only been a user or mod on other systems, XF is the only one where I've been an admin/sysadmin.
How do both the features as well as the mod panel compare on XF to other forum softwares?

i believe IBP also have a strong user support doesnā€™t it?

To use for users phpbb is more complicated than smf.
A forum must be intuitive for the users who use it.
The personal panel to check messages or edit your profile is really not very intuitive.

How would you compare PHPBB to XF?
You can try both out for free and you'll get a much better idea for yourself - way better grasp of the pros and cons and how it suits you. I am biased because I have used phpBB, Simple Forums, IPB, vBulletin and I know that xenForo is way ahead for my needs and desires. But everyone is different...

To use for users phpbb is more complicated than smf.
A forum must be intuitive for the users who use it.
The personal panel to check messages or edit your profile is really not very intuitive.
How would you compare the user friendliness between SMF and XF?

Iā€™ve never used SMF AFAIK, and I typically go on forums hosted on XF.

Can't compare...
It depends on your community.
If you plan to do a lot of articles you can also use wordpress + bbpress.
Starting a new forum today is not easy.
If you're starting from scratch and you don't need a mod gallery I'd start with smf and then if the site starts working you migrate to xf

You can try both out for free and you'll get a much better idea for yourself - way better grasp of the pros and cons and how it suits you. I am biased because I have used phpBB, Simple Forums, IPB, vBulletin and I know that xenForo is way ahead for my needs and desires. But everyone is different...
Thank you for your views. As a software engineer, Iā€™m flexible. I was hoping for as many views as possible from whatā€™s most user friendly for the end user.

Can't compare...
It depends on your community.
If you plan to do a lot of articles you can also use wordpress + bbpress.
Starting a new forum today is not easy.
If you're starting from scratch and you don't need a mod gallery I'd start with smf and then if the site starts working you migrate to xf
Thanks for your opinion :) Has anyone used Woltron labs?

If I were you I would short list what it is you need in your site; for example, just forums, something to add articles to, a gallery, blog, etc. Once you have that short list of necessary needs it will be easier to advise you of the best course of action. Bear in mind that some platforms offer everything, whilst others will rely on third parties - the latter could add extra layers of cost, so bear than in mind too.

As far as Xenforo goes you can do almost anything you want, using the base core, official addons and third party addons. It's very easy to customise and there are some excellent third-party themes that you can use to improve visual impact. With a little time, patience and tweaking Xenforo will be an excellent choice, but then I'm biased lol. Push that short list out and see where we can help you move forward.

If I were you I would short list what it is you need in your site; for example, just forums, something to add articles to, a gallery, blog, etc. Once you have that short list of necessary needs it will be easier to advise you of the best course of action. Bear in mind that some platforms offer everything, whilst others will rely on third parties - the latter could add extra layers of cost, so bear than in mind too.

As far as Xenforo goes you can do almost anything you want, using the base core, official addons and third party addons. It's very easy to customise and there are some excellent third-party themes that you can use to improve visual impact. With a little time, patience and tweaking Xenforo will be an excellent choice, but then I'm biased lol. Push that short list out and see where we can help you move forward.
Just forums and an articles section

Top Bottom