CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
New video showcasing most of the relevant stuff in 2.3.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The only things I haven't shown are the criteria for trophies, etc. and the cache rebuild.

I got a problem, any idea? update from 2.2.0 to latest one

ErrorException: Undefined index: enabled - library/CTA/FeaturedThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php:18
生成于: dong, 1minutes
Stack
#0 /usr/local/nginx/html/backup/library/CTA/FeaturedThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php(18): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined index...', '/usr/local/ngin...', 18, Array)
#1 /usr/local/nginx/html/backup/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): CTA_FeaturedThreads_ControllerPublic_Forum->actionIndex()
#2 /usr/local/nginx/html/backup/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#3 /usr/local/nginx/html/backup/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#4 {main}

array(3) {
["url"] => string(31) "http://bbs.bbsmit.org/index.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

I got a problem, any idea? update from 2.2.0 to latest one

ErrorException: Undefined index: enabled - library/CTA/FeaturedThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php:18
生成于: dong, 1minutes
Stack
#0 /usr/local/nginx/html/backup/library/CTA/FeaturedThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php(18): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined index...', '/usr/local/ngin...', 18, Array)
#1 /usr/local/nginx/html/backup/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): CTA_FeaturedThreads_ControllerPublic_Forum->actionIndex()
#2 /usr/local/nginx/html/backup/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#3 /usr/local/nginx/html/backup/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#4 {main}

array(3) {
["url"] => string(31) "http://bbs.bbsmit.org/index.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}
First disable addon, then upgrade, then you have no problems. It's explained in the update. Also resave settings in admincp.

Would this be of any interest?

View attachment 73007

As an option, of course.
This would be great. :)

Although I'm generally happy with how things currently are, there have been a few times when I wished that some basic formatting could be displayed in FT.

Users would have to be more aware of what appears in the FT blocks with this option, particularly the ones that appear on the forums page and thread list so that they don't end up with the top part of a YouTube video or a cut-off line of text due to them using a mix of font sizes. As long as they understand this and don't complain then fair enough, go for it. :)

I knocked it up last night.
It's hard coded right now so I need to create a new option and then factor that in to the code.

Users would have to be more aware of what appears in the FT blocks with this option, particularly the ones that appear on the forums page and thread list so that they don't end up with the top part of a YouTube video or a cut-off line of text due to them using a mix of font sizes.
Exactly that!
upload_2014-5-3_10-50-24.webp

There's nothing I can do about that though.
The Style Properties can of course be changed to stop the overflow being hidden and making the blocks elastic.

I suspect that wouldn't be a very pleasant user experience though, as the page refreshes and the block heights change with the content.

So ultimately it will have to come down to common sense from those doing the featuring.

Or, disable the blocks and just have the portal page ;)

Or, disable the blocks and just have the portal page ;)
I definitely won't be doing that, I bought FT to get away from the portal page that no-one used! The FT page is a bonus and I may use it as a portal page in the future but I'd never lose the FT blocks on the forums.

Just a thought - could the FT blocks show just basic formatting (bold, italic, underline, strikethrough) and nothing else whereas the FT page shows everything? That may be too complex or just not possible but it could solve some potential issues for users.

No, it's not possible.
The same functions and table (featured thread content) are used for all blocks, no matter which page they are on.

I would basically have to duplicate everything to get that level of separation.

Even then, if you want to update a featured thread, which table would you pull the content from?
Technically it's just not possible.

@Brogan - update went fine, the part I hate-Merging templates. It made a mess on me last time for what ever reason, probably my fault, there, save you some time there...Will this change my FT on home page when merging these two templates?

Thanks in advance.
Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 6.37.18 AM.webp

What about "featured threads" in alert emails? I think we waste emails sent out as a resource for highlighting other thinks than just the alert message.

I don't understand.

Can you perhaps clarify?
In a non-Xenforo board I use, we can buy premium memberships and this allows us to be shown (as adverts) randomly in the alert emails sent out. "Like, this is an email that there is a reply to you in a thread you follow. See the thread here:" (or whatever phrase we use here at xenforo).

Why not extend such emails like: "The following featured threads below might also be of interest to you" ?

It is free space anyway in the emails, the space is currently not used for anything.

That's really out of scope for this add-on as it's more to do with some sort of email news list.

Top Bottom