CODForums moves to xenForo!

Honestly Carlos, the Call of Duty icons you used look perfect.

Your others.... meh.

With the COD ones, you go from low opacity on read to full opacity on a new post. The rest of the images I (as a visitor) would expect to have the same behavior. Not a complete image switch.

I think you are headed in the right direction though. Keep trying new things and don't be afraid of getting outside the box.

Honestly Carlos, the Call of Duty icons you used look perfect.

Your others.... meh.

With the COD ones, you go from low opacity on read to full opacity on a new post. The rest of the images I (as a visitor) would expect to have the same behavior. Not a complete image switch.
I wanted to put more focus on the actual Call of Duty forums. That's why I set the opacity to 1.0. But I'll change the opacity on the others
I think you are headed in the right direction though. Keep trying new things and don't be afraid of getting outside the box.
Thank you for the encouragement! :)
Here is just a regular "COD" one you could use, seeing as it is still blank..

View attachment 59569

View attachment 59570
As for these, thanks! :) Just what I was looking for! I was going to use the "COD" in CODForums logo in there, but you did one better. :)

Can you make this transparent, and locked at 48 x 48 pixels, please?
Ghosts.webp
That's going to replace the "Register Today to CODForums" icon. :D

Alright. Is there anyone having a problem with loading the site fast?

I check Google's AdSense/Analytics control panel(s) today, I see "performance" right? I see "site health" at one bubble - Page Load Performance.

CODFPerformance.webp

When I click the link - "codforums.com" it takes me to Google's developer area, where they measure my site's speed on both desktop/mobile.

I see 75% for mobile, and 60% for desktop. Should I be worried here?

I updated xenForo to 1.2, and updated all the plugins - including tapatalk.

I can load the site in seconds, but if anyone else can't load it in mere seconds, let me know. I have an invoice for next month - so if I have to do something. Now is the time to speak up.

Have you tested it with webpagetest.org yet? Here's one I did of your forum home. http://www.webpagetest.org/result/131029_6J_RN2/1/details/

As you can tell it takes ~5 seconds to load on a 5/1 mbps connection, which in my opinion is way to long. One of the things that you could do, that won't take away any functionality, is put all your node icons into an image sprite. While it's a little work upfront, this would eliminate ~16-17 image requests alone. For example here's mine.

nodes.webp

The other primary issue is more of a challenge though. All those social buttons/widgets are really what's dragging it down. Since removing [some or all of] them is most likely not an option, I'd at least look into getting them to load asynchronously.

Not saying to go this route, just giving you another option to think about. I'd keep the social buttons on the thread page as that's where the real content is (check to make sure that they're loading asynchronously though). However for me personally I removed them from my forum home, main reason being that there's no content on that page and as such it's very seldom shared or liked. So by having them on there I was increasing the load time 2-3x for everybody (including repeat view) in the off chance some person "shares" it. IMO that was not worth it. Instead I show a simple image map on the non content pages that link to the social sites.

dba_social.webp

This is not meant as an attack or to try and make you/your website look poorly, just showing you what's possible. Here's my forum home with the same test settings.

DBA_stats.webp

Have you tested it with webpagetest.org yet? Here's one I did of your forum home. http://www.webpagetest.org/result/131029_6J_RN2/1/details/
I know about the site, but the whole thing seems a little complicated.
This is not meant as an attack or to try and make you/your website look poorly, just showing you what's possible. Here's my forum home with the same test settings.

View attachment 60186
No, it's okay. I asked, I got.
As you can tell it takes ~5 seconds to load on a 5/1 mbps connection, which in my opinion is way to long. One of the things that you could do, that won't take away any functionality, is put all your node icons into an image sprite. While it's a little work upfront, this would eliminate ~16-17 image requests alone. For example here's mine.

View attachment 60182
That would reverse any work I've done thus far - and I don't have photoshop on this machine right now. I'd be grateful if someone could take all my current icons and put it in a single sprite - that would great. I'd like to know how to implement the sprite icon also.
The other primary issue is more of a challenge though. All those social buttons/widgets are really what's dragging it down. Since removing [some or all of] them is most likely not an option, I'd at least look into getting them to load asynchronously.
Yep, not removing them. I'll at least look into the whole asynchronous display.
Not saying to go this route, just giving you another option to think about. I'd keep the social buttons on the thread page as that's where the real content is (check to make sure that they're loading asynchronously though). However for me personally I removed them from my forum home, main reason being that there's no content on that page and as such it's very seldom shared or liked. So by having them on there I was increasing the load time 2-3x for everybody (including repeat view) in the off chance some person "shares" it. IMO that was not worth it. Instead I show a simple image map on the non content pages that link to the social sites.

View attachment 60184
Yep. Not doing that.

If you've put all the icons onto a spritesheet you'll have to adjust your exisiting css node icon code and input the coordinates, the correct ones.
My existing CSS Node code were single file images. Let me find the code for ya:
Code:
.node.node_38 .linkNodeInfo  .nodeIcon, .node.node_38 .categoryForumNodeInfo .nodeIcon {
background-image: url("http://www.codforums.com/ForumIcons/forum-read-38.png");
background-position: 0px 0px;
}

.node.node_45 .forumNodeInfo .nodeIcon, .node.node_45 .categoryForumNodeInfo .nodeIcon {
    background-image: url("http://www.codforums.com/ForumIcons/forum-read-45.png");
    opacity: 1.0;
}
.node.node_45 .forumNodeInfo.unread .nodeIcon, .node.node_45 .categoryForumNodeInfo.unread .nodeIcon {
    background-image: url("http://www.codforums.com/ForumIcons/forum-unread-45.png");
}

Top Bottom