CODForums moves to xenForo!

Just saw the website again. It looks so much better than what it did a week ago! Can also see that you updated to XF 1.2. Well done Carlos!

Just saw the website again. It looks so much better than what it did a week ago! Can also see that you updated to XF 1.2. Well done Carlos!
Yeah, just started, and I'm not even close to being done. Working with someone else on the site. :)

Alright. I need feedback. I noticed a drop in visits in Google Analytics. (Possibly because I added a "responsive" horizontal ad, I guess - but it was for testing purposes.)

Bring the constructive criticism, please! :)

Last edited:
Alright. I need feedback. I noticed a drop in visits in Google Analytics. (Possibly because I added a "responsive" horizontal ad, I guess - but it was for testing purposes.)

Bring the constructive criticism, please! :)

Looks good but it could do with having some custom node icons related to the cod series of games. Sheldon posted some examples I thought looked good and think they would really bring your theme out a little. Why not try those?

Looks good but it could do with having some custom node icons related to the cod series of games. Sheldon posted some examples I thought looked good and think they would really bring your theme out a little. Why not try those?
Because I didn't want to be a generic-looking COD site. I've seen those images at another COD site.

Instead, I wanted my icons to look similar to these:
COD7CatIcon.webpCOD6CatIcon.webp

That way, the image would fill the icons area of the nodes.

I may end up using that #2 icon - as I loooooved that logo back when MW2 hit stores.

Any will do just seeing arrows as your node icons doesn't give that area a "cod" feel to it so anything is going to better than what your currently using.
I know. I'll just add the icons today. I still need icons for MW3, BO2, and Ghosts, tho.

48 x 48 icons, it is.

I attempted to help Carlos. I have what I think would have been an incredible layout for a Call of Duty site, with a few unique things added to bring in and keep members posting. ..

In the end trust, design direction, and implementation decisions were too far apart.

I do wish Carlos the best with his site.

I attempted to help Carlos. I have what I think would have been an incredible layout for a Call of Duty site, with a few unique things added to bring in and keep members posting. ..
Thank you, @Sheldon! :)
In the end trust, design direction, and implementation decisions were too far apart.
As I've explained at the site - I'm a visionary. My visions for the site were there before you even came onto the scene. I have to follow my dreams, my visions. And by the way, this is how "Graphic Design" businesses work. I think this is valuable lesson to you should you want to work with other sites on custom work.

Yes, I want my ranks to be unique, but I also want it to be as familiar to other people that they understand what the ranking system is like. I've talked to my friend, who happens to be a graphic designer - the very same guy who did the other ranks... You'll see.

I just gave my own keys to my castle to someone I don't really know. So I don't know what you talking about with "tust." I've been learning how this permission system works - learn and iterate, learn and iterate. It's what I do.
I do wish Carlos the best with his site.
Once again, thanks. You are welcome to come back and help out.

Thank you, @Sheldon! :)

I think this is valuable lesson to you should you want to work with other sites on custom work.

A valuable lesson? For what? That I didn't want to have my name attached to work I didn't think looked as quite as good as it should, or having rank icons looking exactly like your competing site?

Ok, I understand then. I have learned my lesson.

All the best Carlos.

A valuable lesson? For what? That I didn't want to have my name attached to work I didn't think looked as quite as good as it should, or having rank icons looking exactly like your competing site?
Well, the rank icons doesn't have to really look like the other site - just a little different. I already have a mockup done for me:
Private1_zpsf3fda711.png

Again, that's a rough draft.

What I wanted was: The ranks to look like a real military rank ribbon. Ya know, like the ones you pin on your chest? Those.
Ok, I understand then. I have learned my lesson.
I don't like sarcasm. So please, quit. If you want to do graphic design for other people, you have to work with what their mindset is like. You think you got handcuffed? Nah. You and the owner will have difference of opinion, and this is how it works. Owner tells you how it should look, you do it. You make suggestions, and implement it before he thinks anything else - the owner is possibly surprised by the results. Like I was with the whole Prestige Level options.

Carlos, I have learned my lesson. No need to keep explaining.

I was simply helping you out. I added more in the 1 day at your site than you got added since your added your theme. I was only helping to speed up your process. I understand you are a visionary, but my vision was completely different than that of following suit of a competing forum. I prefer uniqueness and being bold, hence the differences we had in the look of your site. As I stated above, I just didn't feel comfortable having my name on a replica.

Again, all the best.

I was simply helping you out. I added more in the 1 day at your site than you got added since your added your theme. I was only helping to speed up your process. I understand you are a visionary, but my vision was completely different than that of following suit of a competing forum. I prefer uniqueness and being bold, hence the differences we had in the look of your site. As I stated above, I just didn't feel comfortable having my name on a replica.
The mockup you gave didn't look unique, like the mockup - the artist put graphical enhancements to the actual rank - ya know the arrow facing up? I want unique, I want bold, too. But I want to be as familiar as possible, too. The mockup I just posted brings the best of two worlds. Unique, and familiar at the same time.

:confused:

I never gave you a mockup. I simply showed the image (the Marine Corps PFC rank on our dress blues) I wanted to base them off of. Same as the one you have, except I wanted the colors to stay true, and I certainly didn't want to have that huge block around it you showed above. You simply stated you wanted ones to look like your competitor. At that point, it was obvious we were heading in different directions. That is all I have to say about that. You have a great start and a great base to work with. Time will tell us where your vision leads it.

:confused:

I never gave you a mockup. I simply showed the image (the Marine Corps PFC rank on our dress blues) I wanted to base them off of. Same as the one you have, except I wanted the colors to stay true, and I certainly didn't want to have that huge block around it you showed above. You simply stated you wanted ones to look like your competitor. At that point, it was obvious we were heading in different directions. That is all I have to say about that. You have a great start and a great base to work with. Time will tell us where your vision leads it.
I didn't want it to look EXACTLY like it, but SIMILAR. Like I said before I wanted the ranks to look like a real ribbon. Go to your closet and pull out your Marine Corps "showoff" uniform. The ones you take to Dance Balls, the ones you use at special occasions.

Here, here's a perfect example:
http://www.optiksgaming.com/threads/4216/

Edit: Another example:
http://forums.mp1st.com/threads/call-of-duty-ghosts-multiplayer-q-a.5585/

They're not exactly like the other competing sites, but familiar, and different.

Last edited:
Best of luck with that. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Actually, I like them. In fact, I loved the MW2 ranks so much, that I admire the creativity of the callsigns. I saw them on another site, and I was awestruck by the creativity by the designer.

Top Bottom