CODForums moves to xenForo!

Carlos, I'm just saying this... any other Call of Duty sight I see members names appear in the "Online Now" list. It's not the same at yours. You have a very relevant name, but as I stated long ago, that is simply not enough. You may draw them there, they may land on that homepage and read, but how many of those are getting converted into registrations?

I gave you a decent list of suggestions. Ones that I think would have been beneficial to your site. Most you simply said "not happening" to. I think your best bet at this point would be to update xF, find a free style, and tweak it to death until you are able to find a style that COMPLETES your site. There are tons of little additions listed in Template Modifications that you can do for free that would entice others to join.

• Expand your postbit. Gamers like images, seeing post counts, seeing likes, etc.
  • Install [bd] Medals. Give out things for 100 posts, 50 likes, filling out their profile. You can find tons of images for free at a myriad of icon sites. Again, gamers like trophies, icons, etc.
  • Get Widget Framework. It will give you better options to get people inside your forums once they land on the homepage.
  • Add [bd] Bank. Let them start earning cash for the upcoming store by xfrocks. Again, gamers like things like this.
  • Tweak their profile pages. Allow them to add YouTube videos to their profile.
  • Allow them to upload (or you create them) banners for their profile pages.
  • Do a custom user field and allow them to select each prestige they attained in each COD game.
There are tons of free, relatively simple things you could do to at least give off that appearance that someone is there, someone is continually working on bettering the place for all Call of Duty gamers.

Honestly, with that domain name, you should be rolling in activity. But you aren't. For two years you had the default xF theme up. Steve offers a CAMO theme that could have been used at least as a placeholder. When people look and see that the extra step isn't made, they have absolutely no reason to sign up.

These are simple suggestions, I am not bashing you. I am posting this information to help you. If you do not want any of the info, I completely understand, it is your site to do with what you want. Just saying, if I was looking for a COD site to go to (which I have before) I'd be going to the one with information on it to keep me there, as well as one that looks like things are being maintained.

Best of luck Carlos.

Carlos, I'm just saying this... any other Call of Duty sight I see members names appear in the "Online Now" list. It's not the same at yours.
I know that. I just explained that I know that other forums have "Online Now" being filled. I know it, so please stop reminding me of it. Please. It only makes me sad.
You have a very relevant name, but as I stated long ago, that is simply not enough. You may draw them there, they may land on that homepage and read, but how many of those are getting converted into registrations?
Crossed that out because we already got past that. I think the question you're supposed to ask is - how many of those are converted into real posters? I already have 4000 real posters - granted, some are spam. But within time I will find the spammers and use my ax. My ax is sharp and I'm not afraid to use it! :)
I gave you a decent list of suggestions. Ones that I think would have been beneficial to your site. Most you simply said "not happening" to. I think your best bet at this point would be to update xF, find a free style, and tweak it to death until you are able to find a style that COMPLETES your site. There are tons of little additions listed in Template Modifications that you can do for free that would entice others to join.
I'm crossing that out because I already paid for a skin, and I plan to use it for a long time. Most of the "not happening" suggestions were already explained to you. I want more social aspect so that I could create a virally shared site.
Expand your postbit. Gamers like images, seeing post counts, seeing likes, etc.
The original reason why I opted for not having "postcounts" (and I did think of it, a user also brought it up, but...) it's because I thought not having postcounts would encourage quality posting. I thought it would discourage spamming. In fact, I deal with some idiots stupid enough to ignore my notice telling them to follow the rules, and post in the right places. I find at least one or two posters a week posting in the wrong place. (n)
Install [bd] Medals. Give out things for 100 posts, 50 likes, filling out their profile. You can find tons of images for free at a myriad of icon sites. Again, gamers like trophies, icons, etc.
I also thought about medals, but I couldn't find someone who'd be willing to do Call of Duty-inspired medals (like those BO2 medals in post-game menu). I also thought about rank images that are inspired by Call of Duty, like BO2. Again, I couldn't find anyone who'd be willing to do that.
Get Widget Framework. It will give you better options to get people inside your forums once they land on the homepage.
I don't even know what that does, and I have heard of it.
Add [bd] Bank. Let them start earning cash for the upcoming store by xfrocks. Again, gamers like things like this.
If the bank is stable, and works without hitches. I'll add it, I'm ready to add it. Thing is, there isn't many bank plugins/mods on XF. But I want something stable, and not a broken child.
Tweak their profile pages. Allow them to add YouTube videos to their profile.
I'd seen it in a PS4 site and I don't know if I like it. I felt like it's a useless feature.
Allow them to upload (or you create them) banners for their profile pages.
This is one feature I'd like to add, but I don't know how stable it is.
Do a custom user field and allow them to select each prestige they attained in each COD game.
That's something small that I'll make happen soon. :)
For two years you had the default xF theme up. Steve offers a CAMO theme that could have been used at least as a placeholder. When people look and see that the extra step isn't made, they have absolutely no reason to sign up.
I already have a skin. I left it alone on stock XF theme for a reason - And I'll repeat: It was left as stock because I wanted my users to ease in easier, get familiar with the software, and then ease them into the new skin faster.
These are simple suggestions, I am not bashing you. I am posting this information to help you. If you do not want any of the info, I completely understand, it is your site to do with what you want. Just saying, if I was looking for a COD site to go to (which I have before) I'd be going to the one with information on it to keep me there, as well as one that looks like things are being maintained.

Best of luck Carlos.
All of the crossed out words/letters could have just been left out. You did it right in this post. This is one of your better posts in this thread.

I already have a skin. I left it alone on stock XF theme for a reason - And I'll repeat: It was left as stock because I wanted my users to ease in easier, get familiar with the software, and then ease them into the new skin faster.
I'm confused, why would you "ease" them into a new theme (default XF) only to "ease" them into another new theme (skin you bought)? The default XF theme is already a completely different theme than what vB was, so why not just go directly to the skin you bought as they're going to have to get used to a new forum software and theme anyway?

I'm confused, why would you "ease" them into a new theme (default XF) only to "ease" them into another new theme (skin you bought)? The default XF theme is already a completely different theme than what vB was, so why not just go directly to the skin you bought as they're going to have to get used to a new forum software and theme anyway?
You answered your own question. CODForums was on vB3, and then into vB4 which did not inspire any posting. :( Going to xenForo was a change, so I let the users get accustomed to the software while I gathered cash to buy the skin.

If they understand how the stock XF skin is like, what they do, and whatnot - I just thought that it would be a much easier transition.

Carlos the main issue - Yes you have content but it is content you have attained over a few years.

1st step would be to have new content daily if not more. Get some sections up with some tips and guides for each release of the games. Get a wallpaper section, that was great for us - we used Simple Gallery modified a little.

Do some guides on setting up a local/dedicated server, get some news up about what graphics drivers work best with the games and video cards. Get a area up to talk about the campaigns and tips for those in each game..

The list can go on, but if you spend some time each day posting at least a few guides or tips, stories or whatever you will start getting registrations and more posts. Make images so they cannot be viewed by guest so your guides will force them to sign up.

We used these ideas for our site and we had 1 month that we got 5000 posts and 1000 users. Just keep poking at it, but fresh NEW content daily will tip the scale your way I promise. ;)

New Updates:
Expand your postbit. Gamers like images, seeing post counts, seeing likes, etc.
Install [bd] Medals. Give out things for 100 posts, 50 likes, filling out their profile. You can find tons of images for free at a myriad of icon sites. Again, gamers like trophies, icons, etc
Get Widget Framework. It will give you better options to get people inside your forums once they land on the homepage.
Add [bd] Bank. Let them start earning cash for the upcoming store by xfrocks. Again, gamers like things like this.
Tweak their profile pages. Allow them to add YouTube videos to their profile.
Allow them to upload (or you create them) banners for their profile pages.
Do a custom user field and allow them to select each prestige they attained in each COD game.
Crossed out = Added.

And those of you who want to help: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/anyone-good-with-photoshop-need-help.60978/
Carlos the main issue - Yes you have content but it is content you have attained over a few years.
That is the fault of Activision and Co. News don't always come out on it's own. Activision has to "okay" the news.
1st step would be to have new content daily if not more.
Again, this is Activision. 70% to 80% of the news are straight from Activision and co. (Infinity Ward or Treyarch, etc) and 20% are leaks and info trading between Activision/Companies and the person on the receiving end.
Get some sections up with some tips and guides for each release of the games.
I'm not going to add more sections than we already do have now. Folks like @DRE don't like to have too many forums or have many subforum clicks. But I will consider the tips and tricks suggestion. More below.
Get a wallpaper section, that was great for us - we used Simple Gallery modified a little.
That'll be the first thing I do once I launch RM (Resource Manager), this will be in the CODDownloads section. And yes, I do own www.coddownloads.com :)
Do some guides on setting up a local/dedicated server, get some news up about what graphics drivers work best with the games and video cards. Get a area up to talk about the campaigns and tips for those in each game..
I'm a PS3 player, I don't know this stuff. The campaign stuff is basically in the actual COD series section, they can talk about anything in there, just not clans/videos.
The list can go on, but if you spend some time each day posting at least a few guides or tips, stories or whatever you will start getting registrations and more posts. Make images so they cannot be viewed by guest so your guides will force them to sign up.
So, the main thing it boils down to is: Tips and Guides. Gotcha. ;)
We used these ideas for our site and we had 1 month that we got 5000 posts and 1000 users. Just keep poking at it, but fresh NEW content daily will tip the scale your way I promise. ;)
Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of the skin. Even if you fixed the nav, it still feels outdated when I go there. I don't think the "Latest Tweets" widget has worked since you've bought the skin, because I remember seeing this skin in it's early days on CODF. Maybe look into getting a new one when you can. May I also suggest maybe adding a recent statuses bar on the side? or just anything to the sidebar? I feel like that would improve the site a little more. I can understand if you don't though as I don't believe your members have been accustomed to statuses.

Maybe also look into getting the XenRio Streaming Addon & setting the games to only Call of Duty games? Your members can then check out & chat with all the CoD streamers without even leaving the site. I know that the members on my gaming forum love that. I ask everyone who they watch, and then add the channels that people watch so it doesn't crowd up the page.

Possibly even move the Community HQ down, and move the CoD section up so it's the first thing they see?

I'm not sure how much attention you pay to YouTube, but I believe that you could get a lot of traffic there. CoD is the biggest gaming niche on YouTube right now. I don't think starting your own channel is going to really get you anywhere at this point (you could try anyway), but maybe contact some YouTubers to advertise your site? Tmartn, Ali-A, Chaosxsilencer/WingsofRedemption (both the last guys do a podcast all the time where you can buy advertising spots), people like that. If they're out of your $$ range, go smaller. Hell, you could even work from the smaller channels up to the bigger ones. This, of course, would cost you more than most would like to spend, but I feel if you really improved your site & did this, you'd get a lot of active traffic & members.

eSports & streaming is also really big right now. You could try to partner with some leagues or even do your own tournaments & stream them on Twitch. You could also contact some high profile streamers & get them to either advertise on their stream or pick a day weekly to stream on your official Twitch.tv channel. Two ways I've seen this done,
  • PGL has a schedule for guest streamers. They have high profile streamers stream on their Twitch TV page every week on a certain day. Like on a Wednesday, Parasite Streams; Friday, Nadeshot streams.
  • PGL is also working with PhantomL0rd on League of Legends. He basically takes time out every so often on his stream & talks about PGL's website & shows off why people should check it out.

Hope your website works out for ya!

I'm not a big fan of the skin. Even if you fixed the nav, it still feels outdated when I go there. I don't think the "Latest Tweets" widget has worked since you've bought the skin, because I remember seeing this skin in it's early days on CODF. Maybe look into getting a new one when you can. May I also suggest maybe adding a recent statuses bar on the side? or just anything to the sidebar? I feel like that would improve the site a little more. I can understand if you don't though as I don't believe your members have been accustomed to statuses.
*Rock's voice* Hey, Jabroni! Read the previous posts. :p (J/K = Just Kidding.)

But yeah, read the older posts. The newer version of the skin removes the [empty] twitter box. I'm waiting on a full upgrade of xF (1.2 and up) to realize this change. Mostly because it took me 2 hours just to re-add everything back into ZeroHour back to the way it was. I'm not going to do that all over again if it's not worth it. I think one little change is not worth it, but a major change, like 1.2 is for xenForo is far more worth the time.

As for the sidebar thing you mentioned - I'll consider it after people start using the status section more. Right now, the status area is now a spammer's haven. I see one or two spammers posting periods "." or a link to their [spammy] site. I'm also looking into adding "recent threads" or "recent posts." I really like how those worked for another site.
Maybe also look into getting the XenRio Streaming Addon & setting the games to only Call of Duty games? Your members can then check out & chat with all the CoD streamers without even leaving the site. I know that the members on my gaming forum love that. I ask everyone who they watch, and then add the channels that people watch so it doesn't crowd up the page.
We used to have a media section where members had the chance to post up videos in it's own section. The section was the most under-used areas of CODForums that I didn't care if vB4 screwed it up. Good riddance. 90% of the YouTubers start their own threads in the video forum(s).
Possibly even move the Community HQ down, and move the CoD section up so it's the first thing they see?
Alright. I thought people would like more community focus on them...? I mean, people post youtube videos in COD series section(s) that it's not even funny. Meh, I'll try your suggestion for now even though I think it's more trouble.
I'm not sure how much attention you pay to YouTube, but I believe that you could get a lot of traffic there. CoD is the biggest gaming niche on YouTube right now. I don't think starting your own channel is going to really get you anywhere at this point (you could try anyway), but maybe contact some YouTubers to advertise your site? Tmartn, Ali-A, Chaosxsilencer/WingsofRedemption (both the last guys do a podcast all the time where you can buy advertising spots), people like that. If they're out of your $$ range, go smaller. Hell, you could even work from the smaller channels up to the bigger ones. This, of course, would cost you more than most would like to spend, but I feel if you really improved your site & did this, you'd get a lot of active traffic & members.

eSports & streaming is also really big right now. You could try to partner with some leagues or even do your own tournaments & stream them on Twitch. You could also contact some high profile streamers & get them to either advertise on their stream or pick a day weekly to stream on your official Twitch.tv channel. Two ways I've seen this done,

[*]PGL has a schedule for guest streamers. They have high profile streamers stream on their Twitch TV page every week on a certain day. Like on a Wednesday, Parasite Streams; Friday, Nadeshot streams.
[*]PGL is also working with PhantomL0rd on League of Legends. He basically takes time out every so often on his stream & talks about PGL's website & shows off why people should check it out.
These are things I already know. I thought of it, and I do not currently have that kind of marketing muscule to execute. By marketing muscle, I meant money, capital, dough, however you'd like to call it. I did think of it. Problem is, I do not have the kind of money to do this. I even have some big-name YouTubers on my site, and I'm not about to tarnish my relationships with them. I want them back, and I do not want to ruin that.
Hope your website works out for ya!
Thank you! :)

Last edited:
I had a problem today on twitter. I was just minding my own business trying to send tweets for CODForums, and a follower makes a kneejerk comment about CODForums:
@CoDForums You had the chance to say over 9,000 and you blew it
This upset me. Then when I made a rebuttal:
@dn9ne surpasses =/= over. Means it went past. You're just lazy.
Then he responds this way:
@CarlosX360 What the #@^& are you saying? Surpassed and going over mean the same thing. It's exceeding. You're an idiot.
We go back and forth for a while, and then he makes this asinine remark:
@CarlosX360 Because you are an idiot. Calling me lazy. The #@^& is that? For making a little jab? Type for me then #!|^h. Make it lazier.
So, the question becomes: Should I make tweets "easy" to read for lazy people like this?

*Rubs head* My head hurts.

I had a problem today on twitter. I was just minding my own business trying to send tweets for CODForums, and a follower makes a kneejerk comment about CODForums:

This upset me. Then when I made a rebuttal:

Then he responds this way:

We go back and forth for a while, and then he makes this asinine remark:

So, the question becomes: Should I make tweets "easy" to read for lazy people like this?

*Rubs head* My head hurts.
That's your first mistake right there. Your second mistake is calling a follower lazy. "Customers" are right even when they're wrong, just like wives...

Here @Carlos

Instead of this:
usersectionoriginal.webp

Use this:
usersection.webp

Until you are able to update to xF 1.2 and update your theme, you can use this instead of the useless pelican and empty Twitter block that is currently there. At least this way you are also showing off the "next" game coming....

I'm not aruging, man. look at the sign up button, in the middle of it, you see a little line in between.

Your width code "caused it" so that's why I set set requirement at 1130. :)

Top Bottom