CODForums moves to xenForo!

I'll just say my 2cents 2pence worth and then leave it at that since I'm not fussed what you do with your site Carlos. If you give sheldon free reign to make the customisations on your style your going to get something unique, creative and visually stunning in the way of a theme. Either way it's your choice since it's your site.

@Sheldon - If I were you, I'd just build (built on Arty's style) a C.O.D theme what you envisioned, purchase a cheap domain and sell it. I'm betting you would make a killing from it plus you would have another design, bunch of enhancements added to your portfolio to show off what you've done, which would be a plus when people view your service offerings. I'd build a C.O.D style myself (since i have a few ideas rolling around my head) but I'm just too lazy and not motivated enough to take on the task in building a theme.

Last edited:
I'll just say my 2cents 2pence worth and then leave it at that since I'm not fussed what you do with your site Carlos. If you give sheldon free reign to make the customisations on your style your going to get some unique, creative and visually stunning theme. Eitherway your choice since it's your site.
It's not me. It's him. I offer my 2 cents about it, and he gets mad - he told me in PM. I'm open to it - the thing is, he was too quick to respond. He was too quick to show me what he has in mind - make it, then show me. Otherwise I'm just going to go like "if that's what you have in mind, then I dunno if that's good." People like graphics [ahem, eye candy], which is why I showed him the competitor site - to help him understand what people like. Unfortunately, at the time, the [custom] ranks disappeared, so Sheldon assumes the only thing I want is to be "like them."

It's like this: I had a VIP usergroup designed for a user, and when he brought it up, I'm confused - because I have two different things going on at once right now. One is a "Premium Title" thread, and the actual usergroup. So, when he brought it up, I'm confused because I know a lot of sites use custom ranks like it's a VIP rank, and the actual donator rank all at once. Basically, it's easy for me to get lost in the small stuff. When I investigated - I found the usergroup, and first thing to my mind was "D'oh!"
@Sheldon - If I were you, I'd just build (built on Arty's style) a C.O.D theme what you envisioned, purchase a cheap domain and sell it. I'm betting you would make a killing from it plus you would have another design, bunch of enhancements added to your portfolio to show off what you've done, which would be a plus when people view your service offerings. I'd build a C.O.D style myself (since i have a few ideas rolling around my head) but I'm just too lazy and not motivated enough to take on the task in building a theme.
Don't get me wrong, @Sheldon's offering to do the skin for free, and whatnot - and show off what he's capable of. I realize that's what he wants to do. I realize he wants to do this so that he can go into the skin business at some point - he has the skill to do it, but he needs to be able to communicate with the owners better, and not get mad at them if they have a design idea, or design difference from him.

This was the design idea I had....
codfcard.webp
Ignore the "your style" thing, this was a mock up to the other friend of mine.

The reason why I had this idea is like I implied: I've seen other sites use similar width styles. Like MP1st.

I just thought it would look like the rank fits in...

Then when I saw the changes that Sheldon made - the whole Prestige Rank "showcase." It just makes things more clear to me that it should be the way I think. Mostly because if we do it Sheldon's way - you won't be able to distinguish which is a rank and which is the "What's your rank in Call of Duty?" addition he made.

Last edited:
constructive criticism -
-that footer at the bottom of the 'carlosx360 network' looks downright ugly and does not match the rest of the site.
- good idea to have the twitter followers etc displayed at the top. It gives people the impression that you have a popular site.
- i believe you may have far too many forums and sub sections for the amount of people that are on your site. Start small, then make it bigger as the forum evolves.
- Thought about having a 'recent threads' widget at the top so people know what are the latest threads having a lot of recent discussion? It definately helps. My forum in particular sees a great deal of activity from that widget and people are more inclined to start replying when they see the recent chatter about a certain topic. Its definitely beats going into each forum section to see whats new if users dont use the 'new posts' functionality, and the truth is newbies dont really use that stuff initially.
- thought about forum category graphics? your site would probably benefit from that if you dont want to go the custom icon per node.
- have you thought about a chat panel on the sidebar?

constructive criticism -
-that footer at the bottom of the 'carlosx360 network' looks downright ugly and does not match the rest of the site.
Currently I do not have a good footer design to show off the "CarlosX360 Network." I need the copyright disclaimer down there for legal/corporate reasons only.
- good idea to have the twitter followers etc displayed at the top. It gives people the impression that you have a popular site.
Yeah. That was the point. :)
- i believe you may have far too many forums and sub sections for the amount of people that are on your site. Start small, then make it bigger as the forum evolves.
The structure is fine. When I bought it, that's how the forum structure was like - I like the simplicity of it all. So, I left it alone. I only added CODMedia, and Upcoming COD (was a suggestion by a user, really).

"Why fix something if isn't broke?" comes to mind here.
- Thought about having a 'recent threads' widget at the top so people know what are the latest threads having a lot of recent discussion? It definately helps. My forum in particular sees a great deal of activity from that widget and people are more inclined to start replying when they see the recent chatter about a certain topic. Its definitely beats going into each forum section to see whats new if users dont use the 'new posts' functionality, and the truth is newbies dont really use that stuff initially.
I'm going to start testing that shortly. I have thought of it. In fact, look at another thread, see my excitement.
- thought about forum category graphics? your site would probably benefit from that if you dont want to go the custom icon per node.
Working on that. I'll add them when I finish finding a nice MW3, BO2, and Ghosts icon(s).
- have you thought about a chat panel on the sidebar?
Chat - staying far away from that. Not only because of server resources, but drama, and less discussions on the actual forums.

Last edited:
At the end of the day,
just remember... people are on here to help.

The thing about forums... is that it has taught me patience, to be open minded, and to listen to others. After all, its the "others" that will make your forum.
Other peoples ideas are valuable,

The abusive posts have been removed and warnings have been handed out.

Any more similar behaviour will see the offenders being unable to post at all.

Don't get me wrong, @Sheldon's offering to do the skin for free, and whatnot - and show off what he's capable of. I realize that's what he wants to do. I realize he wants to do this so that he can go into the skin business at some point - he has the skill to do it, but he needs to be able to communicate with the owners better, and not get mad at them if they have a design idea, or design difference from him.

At no point was I mad, at no point do I plan on going into the skin business. As I stated before, I was attempting to help you. When I saw the direction you wanted to go in vs. the look I think would have been immensely better, I made the decision to not go down that road. Nothing more. Please stop twisting it all around.

Then when I saw the changes that Sheldon made - the whole Prestige Rank "showcase." It just makes things more clear to me that it should be the way I think. Mostly because if we do it Sheldon's way - you won't be able to distinguish which is a rank and which is the "What's your rank in Call of Duty?" addition he made.

Again, you never saw any finished look. A simple assumption on your part.

Either way, its best to just move on. You have a vision, now implement it. Only trying to help you out.

At no point was I mad, at no point do I plan on going into the skin business. As I stated before, I was attempting to help you. When I saw the direction you wanted to go in vs. the look I think would have been immensely better, I made the decision to not go down that road. Nothing more. Please stop twisting it all around.
Not twisting. It just seemed like you wanted to do this to prove to someone or something like that. I mean, you did say you got mad. *Shrug*

I know you never said that you were trying to get into the skin business, it just seemed that way.
Again, you never saw any finished look. A simple assumption on your part.
Hey, I didn't say I didn't assume. You're right, this is an assumption on my part. It's my fault. I'm sorry.
Either way, its best to just move on. You have a vision, now implement it. Only trying to help you out.
Then do it! There are still things you can do to help, like maybe the banner? Maybe other features you had in mind?

I also discovered why there's a lack of registration as of late. I'll keep it tight lipped until I patch it. One of my users brought it to my attention, and I was able to reproduce what he was saying the other day.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
My excitement can't be contained: It's Call of Duty time, baby!

Why?
RankMockup.webp

*Dances around the room* Oh yeah! That is baaaaddddddddd@$$$$$$$$!

That's one down! :) I just recently added "New Threads" and "New Posts" to the sidebar! However, it only appears in thread display. Example: http://www.codforums.com/forums/call-of-duty-ghosts.45/

Secondly, the ranks are coming along nicely. :D http://www.codforums.com/threads/codforums-rank-structure.4136/

Good to see your making some good head way. Don't forget those node icons otherwise I'll keep annoying you about changing them. :p looking good though Carlos.
After I'm finished with the ranks - the actual images have been complete, but the actual implementation is forthcoming.

After that, I'll get to the category icons. :)

EDIT: Alright @Shelley, I tried adding the forum icons - the code to accomplish it is outdated - so I'm going to wait on a 1.2 plugin or resource to accomplish what you want. Unless you have an idea.

Last edited:
You need to add some padding to them. And also need to center the icons.

Also, the Black Ops icon (the prestige rank) looks completely out of place compared to the others.

Code:
.nodeIcon {
    margin-top: 5px !important;
    padding-right: 8px;
}

Top Bottom