CODForums moves to xenForo!

Ever think of a fixed width? When it's fluid like there is a big empty nothingness down the middle. And I have to move my eyes to the left to see the forum title, then I have to move them all the way over to the right to see latest post info. Or better yet, side by side nodes. And don't take it personally. This is an issue with most fluid sites. It just get's spread out too far.

I like the custom node icons.

Ever think of a fixed width? When it's fluid like there is a big empty nothingness down the middle. And I have to move my eyes to the left to see the forum title, then I have to move them all the way over to the right to see latest post info. Or better yet, side by side nodes. And don't take it personally. This is an issue with most fluid sites. It just get's spread out too far.
I had a fixed width skin, but I got a few people like Sheldon telling me to widen the skin. I then got Responsive Black. I'll bring back the fixed width skin in the future when the skin is fixed by @John.
I like the custom node icons.
Me too! :D

cod.webp

Two things that jumped out at me as a guest and, please, don't take offence - it's just my opinion :)

You don't need the link to the forum twice on your navbar.

Your visitor message - the assumption that because I'm on your forum home I'm looking forward to COD Ghosts. I might just be looking for information on one of the existing games and not be interested in Ghosts at all :p Other than that, the rest of it is too generic. What are you offering that one of the other COD forums can't already give me? At a glance - nothing. Your visitor message needs to entice and draw in. As it stands it does neither. This part of a site is overlooked so often and is one of the first things a guest's eyes will land on. Make it count.

@Carlos , the CODForum images I designed were made to work with the main logo I had posted. I would have dropped the background, and used the one with the jet/people/smoke as the banner, with the ability for the end user to select whatever camo preference s/he desired to be displayed. I'm currently going to use that concept on a skin I am creating, so I won't be able to just give them to you.

Two things that jumped out at me as a guest and, please, don't take offence - it's just my opinion :)

You don't need the link to the forum twice on your navbar.
What? Would you rather want the generic "home" and "Forums" phrases there? I only changed "Home" to "CODForums.com" and "Forums" to "COD Forums." Not only because of SEO reasons, but also for design reasons. Before the change, I'd always stare at the "Home" and "Forums" areas and wonder how I could change those so it doesn't look ...generic. I donno, it kept nagging at me and when I saw it on another site, I said "lets make this change now."
Your visitor message - the assumption that because I'm on your forum home I'm looking forward to COD Ghosts. I might just be looking for information on one of the existing games and not be interested in Ghosts at all :p Other than that, the rest of it is too generic. What are you offering that one of the other COD forums can't already give me? At a glance - nothing. Your visitor message needs to entice and draw in. As it stands it does neither. This part of a site is overlooked so often and is one of the first things a guest's eyes will land on. Make it count.
You're right, I'm not offering anything right now. And I don't really know how to make that notice even more attractive that I bring a user over to register.

I change the name of the game every year - For example, until July/August [2013], the name of the game in that area was Black Ops 2. Before that, it was Modern Warfare 3. I do this for SEO reasons. It seems to have worked every year, so my thought was "Why fix what isn't broke?" Then not to be outdone, I get feedback saying I don't really force users to register. So, I think what I'm doing is working. I wanted this to be a cool COD Forum.
@Carlos , the CODForum images I designed were made to work with the main logo I had posted. I would have dropped the background, and used the one with the jet/people/smoke as the banner, with the ability for the end user to select whatever camo preference s/he desired to be displayed. I'm currently going to use that concept on a skin I am creating, so I won't be able to just give them to you.
*crosses arms* Fine.

What? Would you rather want the generic "home" and "Forums" phrases there? I only changed "Home" to "CODForums.com" and "Forums" to "COD Forums." Not only because of SEO reasons, but also for design reasons. Before the change, I'd always stare at the "Home" and "Forums" areas and wonder how I could change those so it doesn't look ...generic. I donno, it kept nagging at me and when I saw it on another site, I said "lets make this change now."

Did you actually understand what I wrote? They both link to the same place - therefore duplicate links and totally useless. You only need one.. you could remove the other entirely.

You're right, I'm not offering anything right now. And I don't really know how to make that notice even more attractive that I bring a user over to register.

I change the name of the game every year - For example, until July/August [2013], the name of the game in that area was Black Ops 2. Before that, it was Modern Warfare 3. I do this for SEO reasons. It seems to have worked every year, so my thought was "Why fix what isn't broke?" Then not to be outdone, I get feedback saying I don't really force users to register. So, I think what I'm doing is working. I wanted this to be a cool COD Forum.

But obviously it is broke otherwise it'd be working, no?

*crosses arms* Fine.
As I said, Carlos, it was an opinion and a suggestion - no harm meant. If you take offence at every tiny thing people say then you're never going to get the site up to where you want it.

Did you actually understand what I wrote? They both link to the same place - therefore duplicate links and totally useless. You only need one.. you could remove the other entirely.
The "Home" phrase only goes away if I remove the actual link to the site itself in Board Details, and "Forums" is like the anchor for the nodes.
But obviously it is broke otherwise it'd be working, no?
So, what you suggest I do?
As I said, Carlos, it was an opinion and a suggestion - no harm meant. If you take offence at every tiny thing people say then you're never going to get the site up to where you want it.
I was responding to Sheldon. Read, lady, read. lol. :ROFLMAO:

I'm actually laughing my baby bottom's off! :LOL:

What do you mean by "fixed" Carlos?
Responsive on ZeroHour, and the avatars is buggy in membercards. Amongst other things. When I upgraded the skin, I removed the old version of the framework, re-installed it with the new version, then imported the new ZeroHour. After seeing the problems, I'm saying to myself "Okay, not doing this now." And moved onto Black Responsive.

The "Home" phrase only goes away if I remove the actual link to the site itself in Board Details, and "Forums" is like the anchor for the nodes.

Indeed - but both link to the forum so I'd remove the home link since it's defunct.

So, what you suggest I do?

Let me sleep on it and get back to you.

I was responding to Sheldon. Read, lady, read. lol. :ROFLMAO:

It's late for me, I'm tired.. my apologises. :)

I'm actually laughing my baby bottom's off! :LOL:
Way too much information ;)

Last edited:
With Ghosts released, I think you missed your opportunity of revamping your forums and having that splash needed to attract some new, quality posting members.

Have you thought about adding moods, but customizing them to fit your niche?

A couple things I still see needed to be finished:

-- fix footer to match overall look of site
-- your rank thing still isn't working

Good luck Carlos.

With Ghosts released, I think you missed your opportunity of revamping your forums and having that splash needed to attract some new, quality posting members.
Actually, over the weekend, there has been a spike of registrations - I came tonight to a pleasant surprise to see the increase of registrations. I even had to move a bunch of threads to their correct forums. That means the effort I've been putting for the past week now has rewarded me. Now all I have to do is wait for friday. Mostly because I think there's a missing link somewhere. It feels like I haven't even seen the best yet.

Even so, I am positive I can do something about this. Even if nothing materializes by the end of this year, I have already reserved domains for next year.
Have you thought about adding moods, but customizing them to fit your niche?
THAT is too much work. Would require someone like Ms. @Shelley to do the image(s).
- fix footer to match overall look of site
I don't know a good footer I can use to improve it.
- your rank thing still isn't working
It's there, it's just that I don't know how to really get it "working." I'll create a thread to see what I need to do next...
Good luck Carlos.
Thanks. :(

With the moods idea that @Sheldon had, it doesn't specifically have to be 'moods' as such. You could adapt it to allow members to select a game they are playing. You'd find the images and re size them down.

With the moods idea that @Sheldon had, it doesn't specifically have to be 'moods' as such. You could adapt it to allow members to select a game they are playing. You'd find the images and re size them down.
I've seen THAT at another site, and I don't know what mod does that! Is this mod based on THAT moods system? o_O

Top Bottom