California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically if you like XF stay here and sit out the court case.
If you really desperately need features get them from addons, or use another software.

Morgain who are you exactly to decide for us what we ought to do?

But that's`only my opinion.

Ah, and for a moment I thought your opinion was the only valid opinion here. Thanks for the clarification.

Whilst this may sound harsh the response to that is quite simply "Tough luck". If you invested a significant amount of time and money on a business based around a piece of brand new software (in this case XF) and knew about the risks, it's your problem if it all folds and you end up with nothing. It's a calculated business risk.

My statement had less to do with the risk of the lawsuit, than the fact that the developers have stopped most communication, and nothing has been seen on the development side. Obviously we were all prepared for the risks, and we originally went with XenForo to support the community.

Even knowing that it's a bad investment I still do styles when I need them myself, or when customers ask for them. My issue is that people who have done nothing for XenForo criticize people who are spending the time to release quality add-ons and designs for stating their opinion.

I know I'll never go back to vBulletin, that much is clear from their latest product. However, IPB becomes more and more appealing the more they continue to develop and actually make updates. Sorry if that is a bit much for some of the, awkwardly so, fanatical XF customers here...but it's the truth.

IPB isn't much better than vBulletin, and at times they are much more slimy than their more corporate counterparts.

Both Kim and I had issues in the past where we won't ever use them again, even if they were the last choice for making money off our styling business (Kim has pretty much retired anyways).

Basically if you like XF stay here and sit out the court case.
If you really desperately need features get them from addons, or use another software.
After the court case if you stayed on, we'll need to review the issues and what Kier and Mike do will be important.

So anyone who is concerned with what has happened should leave and go to another software?

That's the majority of developers and designers, and they've already been told to leave if they're unhappy, even if its at a lost of their invested time.

I can't tell if people are just stupid, or honestly believe the software will continue to thrive without third-party developer and designers. The fact that people make such inanely nonsensical posts as if they're an authority really peeves me, especially when you pretty much insult what people have done.

For that matter, telling anyone who has invested into XenForo to just leave if they choose to air their concerns is rather stupid. Unlike in the past, there is very little trolling going on (Which is about the only time I jumped on people as most of what they said was rumor), so there is no reason for you or anyone to be telling anyone to leave.

For that matter, telling anyone who has invested into XenForo to just leave if they choose to air their concerns is rather stupid. Unlike in the past, there is very little trolling going on (Which is about the only time I jumped on people as most of what they said was rumor), so there is no reason for you or anyone to be telling anyone to leave.
I think Morgain's point is more something along the lines of "If XF isnt working for you...then why are you still here?" rather than "Go away".

That was my interpretation of it anyway, and he's right. Why bother sticking around if you dont want to use XF in it's current condition? (Note: I'm not directing the "you" at anyone in particular there)

Shelley I don't know what you mean that you or other 3rd party developers have received abuse and been told to leave XF.
I have not seen that so perhaps it's happening behind the scenes. Whatever that is appalling and the moderators should help and protect you from any personal abuse about yourself.

Uhm, no. This was out in the open.

I think Morgain's point is more something along the lines of "If XF isnt working for you...then why are you still here?" rather than "Go away".

That was my interpretation of it anyway, and he's right. Why bother sticking around if you dont want to use XF in it's current condition? (Note: I'm not directing the "you" at anyone in particular there)

Perhaps, but even then it isn't something you should be saying to other paying customers who are only saying their concerns.

If it was what was happening back in the summer, with all the trolling being done by MrGTB and others, then yes, I can see you telling them to leave if they're unhappy. In this instance it's just being an asshat.

Shelley I don't know what you mean that you or other 3rd party developers have received abuse and been told to leave XF.
I have not seen that so perhaps it's happening behind the scenes. Whatever that is appalling and the moderators should help and protect you from any personal abuse about yourself.
She's not the only person who got the same treatment from staff. I've been telling the staff exactly what you said in the second sentence bolded for months, not days, months. I even fought the all "almighty" Brogan himself. But it doesn't seem to get through him, or the staff. It's like they didn't care.

Brogan and the staff should know the difference between a person who is abusing against another party, and the person who's defending himself against these "abuse." So, I'm the one who got placed in moderation and whoever was in that thread was possibly collateral damage.

I even got banned just for fighting against Brogan, and went straight up to the top. Kier banned me for three months.

I expected this from vBulletin, because that's exactly the same kind of "story" I had at vBulletin's own licensed forums. I would expect better moderation here, than over there.

Pacer updates for: 11/6/2012

Docket Text #137 said:
MINUTES OF Defendants Xenforo & K Darby's motion to dismiss (10-1-12)[128] Hearing held before Judge Manuel L. Real: The parties submit on their papers as filed. The Court DENIES defendants' motion, for reasons as stated on the record. Plaintiff shall submit a proposed order.Court Reporter: Sheri Kleeger. (bp)

Docket Text #138 said:
MINUTE ORDER IN CHAMBERS by Judge Manuel L. Real:COUNSEL ARE NOTIFIED that on the Court's own motion the: Plaintiffs motion for court order striking defendants answers etc [133] is hereby ORDERED CONTINUED FROM NOVEMBER 19, 2012 AT 10:00 A.M. TO NOVEMBER 26, 2012 AT 10:00 A.M. Opposition and Reply papers remain due as originally set, pursuant to the rules, by the hearing date of November 19, 2012. The continuation of the hearing DOES NOT move the due dates of those filings. (lc)

Documents in this pack:

#137 - Civil Minutes - General
#138 - Civil Minutes - General

Requested to be merged.

Attachments

Plaintiffs motion for court order striking defendants answers etc [133] is hereby ORDERED CONTINUED FROM NOVEMBER 19, 2012 AT 10:00 A.M. TO NOVEMBER 26, 2012 AT 10:00 A.M.

The word "CONTINUED" is confusing. I assume that means the Nov 19 hearing is moved to Nov 26?

As far as my experience goes a continuance is when the court hasn't finished something in some matter for whatever reason and things will literally continue where they left off last time. I guess you could call it moved...but I think of it like a video game with a really long time on pause at least that's how it was in the court system I was in though I know this is a totally different ballpark I would have to assume it is similar.

Reactions: HWS
Does not appear to be breaking XF's way. They seem to be outmaneuvered legally. VBSI appears to have a much better legal team.

Does not appear to be breaking XF's way. They seem to be outmaneuvered legally. VBSI appears to have a much better legal team.

It seems to be that way. Though, most here would like to make it seem that "Pamel" is xenForo's savior. Unfortunately, reality is different than fairytales.

Note:
  • A total of 4 minutes was spent on this motion to dismiss.
  • We do not have the transcript or record.
Legal maneuvering? Possibly. However we do not have insights into the Judge's thought process presently.

Capture.webp

I don't have the time to write at length on the recent motion hearing and the posts about this breaking in favor of one side or another. For that reason, the comments will be brief.

I would remind everyone that the motions are not the trial. A lot can happen with motions, cases can be won or lost based on them. However, the strong preference is for cases to be heard at trial if there are any legal bases for a case to be won IF the disputed facts can support a win for either side. That is because the "fact finder" (normally the jury) needs to determine the facts before the law can be applied to it.

Things may change based on the hearing on Nov. 26th. However, my instinct is that if the judge really saw something that would change his stated intention to get this case to trial (and that it should go to trial), we would have seen language in an order that would have reflected or hinted at this. It is near impossible to guess what his view might be, especially not having read a transcript of the Nov. 5th hearing. But, I further suspect that if there was a "bomb" here, IB would have indicated something even more forceful in their language in the brief filed after the hearing.

I tend to think that the most recent motions on both sides (along with some of the language used in the briefs characterizing each sides conduct) is most likely viewed as less than ideal.

I think we see a trial either as currently scheduled or with a short delay. I could be dead wrong about all of this. However, I don't think any view that these motions are indicative of the strength of the case overall are on target.

Good luck Xenforo. My zero law-knowing self feels like Xenforo has a good chance of winning the lawsuit. However, there are two problematic unknowns. First, how long until this lawsuit is history? Second, will Kier and/or Mike continue development if Xenforo wins the case?

If this has been push back from 19th to 26th November, what are the chances this has been done because they want drag Matt Mecham in court as a witness. Don't understand why they'd want to delay that 19th Nov date, to 26th. A matter of only 7 days difference.

The dates for motion hearings flow from dates of filings. The timing is formulaic in nature and, unless deviated from by leave of the court, are automatic.

I thought we were waiting for something this week? When did this change to the 19th Nov? Or was the thing this week denied?

I thought we were waiting for something this week? When did this change to the 19th Nov? Or was the thing this week denied?

November 5th motion to dismiss = Denied.
Next date is November 26th for another motion hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom