Are forum communities obsolete?

1.1 is looking extremely promising. I haven't upgraded for some versions now, so this release will be a definite upgrade for me.

This is what makes it so nice to not have release dates... because watching what we're getting, the quality and innovation of each feature, its just worth the wait.

Release dates destroyed VB... who in their right mind would want to travel that path?

What I like about the pre-release testing - here on the XF site - is that feedback is received and responded to, and in some cases the feature is "tweaked" to improve it before it is made final.

Gives community members the opportunity to get involved and help shape XF for the better of everyone who's going to be using it.

It also helps that Kier runs his own forum site too - gives him an Admin perspective when approaching features and tools.

Sorry ... I'm waffling ... back on topic ...

The day that people no longer want to talk to their friend Social Networks will end.

The day that people no longer want to comment on someone else's thoughts, feelings, views, or even information in general, blogs will end.

The day that people no longer want to have a lively discussion and grow in both wisdom and understanding about something forums will end.

The day that people no longer want to have their own opinion the internet will end.

Simple as that :).

I agree with both of you...

Code:
CreateEndInternetButton(place, time)
{
    button = spawn("model", place );
    button setModel("Dont_push_this_button");
    button.time = time;
    button doAction();
    button CloneTheorymodelToRealitymodel( button.endInternet );
    wait 0.01;
}

checking all those big boards now, there are not many registered members online ?
Seems like FB really destroyed all forums.........
This was copied from another thread, but it fit here to:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'd agree with this statement. Indeed, that s why I started this thread http://xenforo.com/community/threads/are-forum-communities-obsolete.18977/page-4#post-248769

And while I don't think it will destroy all and immediately it has at least severe cripple majority of boards. Two of our competitors have over 1m posts and I noticed traffic decline in the past 2 years on both of their boards as well as on our 600k posts. Even more, biggest board in our region with well over 3m posts basically died.

Same happened with local emails and search engines, when Google came into the market. While not completely erase all it basically killed majority. I don't see forum boards without completely reinvention of the basic post idea to stand longer than couple of years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Some of posters in this thread argue that FB connect will do no good. It might have helped others, but we too realized, that what that actually does is moving attention from board to FB. And that s why we never included FB connect or other FB mods. I see though how it could benefit sale orientated forums like xenforo and others who sell and it main income is not in actual posting on boards, so it doesn't matter much, but as for discussion only boards, where main income is from advertisements - how many times people refresh page and post, it does more damage than good.

People have limited amount of time to stay online per day, and spending more on FB, meaning spending less on board, simple as that.

Can you imagine a facebook page replacing the forum here on xenforo.com?
Hopefully Facebook doesn't create a community that has collections of Pages to do that. The natural evolution of Facebook will be content creation. Then they will have the users, traffic and the content.
Uh oh.

Forums are good for their structure. Forums can also serve a community of users whereas blogs and social networks are more individual. Social networks are good for networking and exposure, but they don't facilitate meaningful discussion like a forum does.
Forums are good places to discuss things ... but they need to be revamped to be good at content creation.

The forum is your content. The social network is a means to promote your content.
Kier said forums are not content creation tools and it is not their responsibility.
I think forums haven't done enough to enable content creation.
Not everyone needs a forum. If you just want to post your own ramblings online then create a blog or facebook profile.
True.
But if you want to create a community based around a specific topic then open your own website with a forum.
And xenforo needs to create the tools that the Admins and the Community can create content with.

I am still running web 1.0. How do I upgrade? :confused:
If you have an xenForo license, then you're already upgraded. ;)

xenForo uses some HTML5, which is part of the whole Web 2.0 movement.

If you're google, facebook, or foursquare, you're part of the 3.0 movement. :D

I would guess that XF actually surpasses Web 2.0. That was a decade ago... XF is current standard, as is Facebook, and it uses HTML 5, not just some, but also downgrades gracefully to HTML for non-HTML 5 browsers, which is the idea of HTML5 to begin with. It doesn't downgrade to XHTML, it downgrades to HTML. If a browser doesn't understand something, it dismisses it... hence the idea of HTML5.

Basically, any browser that can handle a div and css, will render any website in HTML5, providing the developers added the appropriate extra code for graceful downgrading in older browsers... which XF contains already.

If you only used HTML5 tags, without the divs, then regardless what website you are, right now, you would have issues with many browsers and HTML5 hasn't even been standardised yet for official release.

Top Bottom