Are forum communities obsolete?

Good luck having Facebook controlling all your members. Hope they never decide to make that a chargeable service, if they do then suddenly all your members won't be able to use your site.
FaceBook doesn't control members who use the FB app to register.

Once you register on a XenForo forum in that way, a record is created in the XenForo database and they can then log in using the normal method if they wish.

FaceBook doesn't control members who use the FB app to register.

Once you register on a XenForo forum in that way, a record is created in the XenForo database and they can then log in using the normal method if they wish.
True but what's the score with email addresses?
Does XF use the user's own email address or that generic Facebook-based one I have seen used in some places?

That's the issue, you need the member's ACTUAL email address.

That's an interesting perspective. Probably true.

I find it almost impossible to make friends IRL because I don't use Facebook. There is an incredible amount of peer pressure. I still refuse though. :(
Not just that, it takes a single click to sign up.
It takes 45 clicks to get close to actually deleting the account.
I wonder how many 'active' users are there from unique IP, how many households there are, etc.
It's like twitter (for comparison probability) announcing the other day they have 100 million users, and a study shows there are only 10 million active users.
Numbers aren't everything.

Before Facebook there was friendster and orkut and mysapce. They're still significantly large, and they dont' die because 'my friend is still there'. Sheep moving towards facebook gives these users finally a reason to drop the other stuff, but then they're stuck on facebook - i dont like these games, i dont like that spam, i dont like those trolls, i dont .. and yet they're checking pics of friends, etc.

and yet they're checking pics of friends, etc.

Oh man. I haven't been able to view any photos of friends and family in over 5 years. People keep using services like facebook, snapfish, etc which don't allow me to view without registering. That is another way people are pressured to join.

I believe the future is local.
I've been hearing that since 1995, and it wasn't true then and it isn't true now. Kind of like a 1965 Popular Mechanics magazine proclaiming that hovercars and jetpacks are the future of personal travel.

A site like yelp, which might feel local if you only look up places in your city, would fail if it limited itself to one city. If craigslist hadn't expanded beyond San Francisco, you would have never heard of it. It would still be Craig's hobby site, full of listings on where to get the best wheat grass on Geary Street. If Facebook had remained Harvard-only, you wouldn't even know it existed.

We use non-local sites to do and find local things. But to survive, those sites generally need to service an entire country or countries or worlds.

Besides, everyone knows the future of everything is China. Get with it.
It is getting extremely difficult for even established forums to actually promote any sort of meaningful discussion. People just aren't interested, Facebook and Twitter has dumbed down the whole experience and if you're very lucky you get a few soundbites and a couple of smileys because that's all people do on Facebook and it's all they want to do anywhere.
Those soundbite people are not forum people. Apples and oranges.

If your forum can't "promote any sort of meaningful discussion," the problem is your forum, not the entire population of the world.

Six hundred million people would disagree with that statement.

the issue is that FB does not allow "the Admin of the FB-Login-App" to control "reviews" and "spam" at the FB-Login-app.
it is not possible to edit or delete reviews and spam being posted onto your "FB-Login app".

Forums are great for help sites, or people that was to bounce tips, advice, or ideas around. Better than blogs in my opinion. I think social networks are nothing more than a fad. only time will tell. It seems to cause more trouble than what it's worth. Only good for bragging or ranting in my opinion. I think blogging is best for everything else.

Blogs - writing; single person to mass audience. Singular feedback to/from blog owner only.
Facebook - gossip and photo sharing; single person to mass audience with sharing. One to one, one to a few, one to many - with feedback to/from others, and ability to form (and break) relationships. (The games keep a lot of people on Facebook too!!)
Twitter - short-form gossip; single person to mass audience with limited writing space, which creates a more succinct message that is easily read and digested. "A quick way to keep abreast of things that matter to you".
Forums - knowledge sharing; multi-person discussion around specific subjects that allow people to share their knowledge and experience with others, and form online (and offline) friendships with people of a shared interest/passion. Offers a greater depth of discussion that you don't find on Facebook or Twitter, and with more interaction than simply adding comments to a blog.

Forums FTW!! (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Forums - knowledge sharing; multi-person discussion around specific subjects that allow people to share their knowledge and experience with others, and form online (and offline) friendships with people of a shared interest/passion. Offers a greater depth of discussion that you don't find on Facebook or Twitter, and with more interaction that simply adding comments to a blog.
Well said...

Problem is... people confuse what a forum is used for, attempt to use it for what FB does far better, or use it like a blog only, even a static website.

Use the right tool for the right job, it does the job... use the wrong tool, you get less than adequate results.

People keep trying to use a forum these days for general chit chat type stuff, which just won't work now. You must have a niche and do it well, then a community will form as a result. Or people try and create 10 forums and run them all at once, then they all fail as a result, so they have this experience that forums failed them, not that they're an actual idiot for failing themselves and how they approach something.

Do one thing, do it better than everyone else, and you will trump that niche. Once you have achieved that, then create the next topic and repeat the process, providing the initial project has the people now continuing what you started, without your help. If not... then keep focused on one thing and keep doing it well... forget everything else.

Nicely put Shaun.

One more thing, in forums, you do not GET TO CHOOSE which people you interact with, they are (most of them) open communities to anyone, so, this makes it a lot more interesting, and of course a lot different than facebook where if you don't like someone or his "postings", you just get him off your friends list and you're done. Open communities fascinate me because they somehow represent the first principle of the internet, that you can communicate with anyone in the world.

Of course, the above thing is not the most important part of forums, but Shaun covered it pretty good above :)

Perhaps its essence is different, because in FB you only link to those you want in the first place. In forums, you communicate with anyone, and "block" or "ignore" those that harass you. I think it's not the same thing. Besides, not all forums have an ignore function. Mine don't, and never will. :)

Blogs - writing; single person to mass audience. Singular feedback to/from blog owner only.
Facebook - gossip and photo sharing; single person to mass audience with sharing. One to one, one to a few, one to many - with feedback to/from others, and ability to form (and break) relationships. (The games keep a lot of people on Facebook too!!)
Twitter - short-form gossip; single person to mass audience with limited writing space, which creates a more succinct message that is easily read and digested. "A quick way to keep abreast of things that matter to you".
Forums - knowledge sharing; multi-person discussion around specific subjects that allow people to share their knowledge and experience with others, and form online (and offline) friendships with people of a shared interest/passion. Offers a greater depth of discussion that you don't find on Facebook or Twitter, and with more interaction than simply adding comments to a blog.

Forums FTW!! (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

That's kinda bias. Blogs can be used for more than just one author. Friendships can be formed on facebook and blogs too.

Top Bottom