• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenAtendo (Events)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For XenAtendo,
would it be nice to have a:
(1) Countdown timer on the XenPorta Home page when it's close to the event happening.
(2) And maybe everyone online gets an "ALERT" if they are online and it's 5 mins before the event ?
(3) a Countdown timer visible in the forums would help let people online know about the event as well.

1-png.13240

202 viewers !

For XenAtendo,
would it be nice to have a:
(1) Countdown timer on the XenPorta Home page when it's close to the event happening.
(2) And maybe everyone online gets an "ALERT" if they are online and it's 5 mins before the event ?
(3) a Countdown timer visible in the forums would help let people online know about the event as well.

202 viewers !
1 - would be too hard to program... especially since events don't start on time and everyone is on a different timezone.
2 - too intrusive... I will never program this and I'm sure the majority of users will find it annoying.
3 - same as #1.
4 - I had 1500 viewers on my stream last week... Stream will be on again tomorrow! (every Tuesday night at http://www.8wayrun.com/stream/ or http://www.justin.tv/jaxelrod)

Hi Jaxel,

Is it possible to add an "end date" to the recurring events? For instance you create a recurring event - it recurs every week on a Monday. There's an option to set the recurrence for X months but not all events that recur run for the same amount of time. There's no option to say Event A recurs until July but Event B recurs continuously.

I hope I've explained this properly.

Regards,
Renada

[8wayRun.Com] XenAtendo (Events) v1.3.4 CHANGELOG
  • Added support for live stream viewer counting via JSON on portal pages.
  • Fixed an issue where stream pages weren't loading for lack of descriptions.
  • Added the ability for administrators to define stream descriptions in the adminCP (accepts full HTML!)
  • Added some additional data exportability settings for future use (such as viewer counting via JSON)
  • Added the events navigation tab bar to the stream page.

Before streams would only play if they were live. It is FANTASTIC that it now shows streams which are offering recorded content. Now a stream can be offered and, when it is not live, the page will still be there showing recorded content.

Some questions about the update:
Added support for live stream viewer counting via JSON on portal pages
I am not clear on what this change does? Live stream and the other stream providers show the number of viewers in the footer. Did that not always appear?

Added the ability for administrators to define stream descriptions in the adminCP (accepts full HTML!)
Is that the Live Stream Text field? The footer?

Added the events navigation tab bar to the stream page.
It would be great if members could get to the stream via the Events tab. Presently they need to click a link or on the event. Perhaps a sub-navigation link?

Thanks Jaxel for a great update.

Suggestion for future version: allowing you to choose any of your forums to post events in, without the events addon taking control of it. As of right now, if you make forum a the location where events are sent, whenever you make a post in forum a, it takes you to the events screen....unless my forum is just jacked :D

Ditto.

For example, we currently have a Music Festivals forum. Each major event has its own thread, with a detailed OP with dates, prices, line-up etc, a poll for listing attendence then loads of discussion before during and after the festival. There are also generic topics on the subject (eg. "which events are you going to this year?" "how to get work on site" "glastonbury special on BBC tonight")

If we used Xenattendo, we'd have to create separate Festival Events and Festival Discussion forums. The same goes for our regular Music, Politics, Science, Community, Sports etc forums.

Whilst I love the addon and really want to install it, it's just not quite right for the way our forum works. We'd end up with far too many forums cluttering up the front page (we already have a lot) and would most likely end up with duplicated threads or Calendars sitting empty while discussion continues in regular forums.

In short, I'd love to see at the top of the screen a "New Thread" button and a "New Event" button.

Hi Jaxel,

When posting a recurring event you can only RSVP for the current week. For instance a weekly event on a Wednesday from 7pm until 11pm has the RSVP locked as soon as the event starts (which is as it should be) but it also locks all recurrent weeks too until after the event has finished.

Is there a way to unlock the following week's event so that people who couldn't attend *this* week can sign up for next?

Regards,
Renada :)

Hi Jaxel,

When posting a recurring event you can only RSVP for the current week. For instance a weekly event on a Wednesday from 7pm until 11pm has the RSVP locked as soon as the event starts (which is as it should be) but it also locks all recurrent weeks too until after the event has finished.

Is there a way to unlock the following week's event so that people who couldn't attend *this* week can sign up for next?

Regards,
Renada :)
No, this is by design. Future versions of a recurring event don't actually exist until the day after the previous event... so no one will be able to RSVP until the new instance is created. The reason for this is essentially for administration... it makes it a lot easier to deal with abuse when future instances are not real. Lets say someone comes and creates a daily spam event. Instead of having to delete 100 of events, you only have to delete one.

However, there is a work around for your issue. What you can do is make 2 events (or more)... Make 1 event, set it to recur every 2 weeks... then make a 2nd event the week after, and set that to recur every 2 weeks. Essentially the 2 events will look like a single event, and they will leapfrog each other in recurrence. This way people will be able to RSVP for the current week, and the next week.

You could even do 4 events, and set them to recur every 4 weeks, so that people could RSVP within a month timespan. The only issues you may have with this method is updating the event; you would have to edit the event 4 times to keep them inline with each other. The other issue is if you are using an event thread; since you can't have a thread linked to 4 events.

No, this is by design. Future versions of a recurring event don't actually exist until the day after the previous event... so no one will be able to RSVP until the new instance is created. The reason for this is essentially for administration... it makes it a lot easier to deal with abuse when future instances are not real. Lets say someone comes and creates a daily spam event. Instead of having to delete 100 of events, you only have to delete one.

However, there is a work around for your issue. What you can do is make 2 events (or more)... Make 1 event, set it to recur every 2 weeks... then make a 2nd event the week after, and set that to recur every 2 weeks. Essentially the 2 events will look like a single event, and they will leapfrog each other in recurrence. This way people will be able to RSVP for the current week, and the next week.

You could even do 4 events, and set them to recur every 4 weeks, so that people could RSVP within a month timespan. The only issues you may have with this method is updating the event; you would have to edit the event 4 times to keep them inline with each other. The other issue is if you are using an event thread; since you can't have a thread linked to 4 events.

Ahhh very cool Jaxel that's exactly what I need, thanks :) Doing the fortnightly thing will work as the events are all Kin Raids and we don't have the spam issue as only kin members can sign up. Also creating separate threads for each week is a good thing for us. :)

I have one more question (for now LOL).

It's not so easy to keep things prominent in this software at the moment so is it possible to either a) have a block with links on the portal or b) have a popup or edit the main calendar window to contain the raid rules etc. If on the calendar, which template would I edit?

Thanks again,
Renada

If you have your Events view set to monthly, it seems the EWRatendo_Monthly template is what you are after. Or are you referring to one of the calendar blocks on the portal page?

If you have your Events view set to monthly, it seems the EWRatendo_Monthly template is what you are after. Or are you referring to one of the calendar blocks on the portal page?

Neither I don't think. On the old software we had a block of links to sticky messages that people had to read before x, y, or z. There's no "navigation block" as such any more, which is where we used to put this stuff, so I need a block where I can put static links. We also had the loot rules posted above the calendar so nobody could say they hadn't read them. I'd prefer that to pop up in an overlay like the list of events does if you have more than 3 in one day but failing that I can edit the template and post the table in there if I know which template to edit.

Whew, now my hands ache lol

Regards,
Renada

My "upcoming events" doesn't work. I set it up to 96 hours but it doesn't appaers on my xenporta portal. ?!?

My "upcoming events" doesn't work. I set it up to 96 hours but it doesn't appaers on my xenporta portal. ?!?
If you have "Streamed Events Only?" option checked in your module settings, the upcoming events block will ONLY show events that have linked Live Streams through uStream.TV, Justin.TV or Livestream.com. Uncheck this option if you don't want to require these streaming settings.

Neither I don't think. On the old software we had a block of links to sticky messages that people had to read before x, y, or z. There's no "navigation block" as such any more, which is where we used to put this stuff, so I need a block where I can put static links. We also had the loot rules posted above the calendar so nobody could say they hadn't read them. I'd prefer that to pop up in an overlay like the list of events does if you have more than 3 in one day but failing that I can edit the template and post the table in there if I know which template to edit.

Whew, now my hands ache lol

Regards,
Renada
You are saying you want an HTML block in XenPORTA? Several people have already explained how to do custom HTML only blocks in the XenPorta threads... check those out.

v1.3.4 under XF1.0 & Chrome 10.0.648.204

I've got this running under localhost test.
When Events>Events Archive is clicked I'm getting an error at the top of the screen. Any ideas on how to fix please?

Template Errors: EWRatendo_EventsHistory

1. Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\xampplite\htdocs\xf\community\library\XenForo\Template\Abstract.php(262) : eval()'d code, line 32:
    31: ';
    32: foreach ($events AS $event)
    33: {

This add-on meets most of my needs. There are still a few changes which could make it better if you are willing to consider them in a future update:

- adding a block to enable the streaming video viewer (with chat) to appear on the portal during events.
- adding the ability to select multiple stream channels so if channel #1 was not live, then channel #2 or 3/4/5 would be selected
- adding the streaming page as an option in the sub-navigation menu on the Events tab
- adding the ability to show the calendar weekly start day as Sunday (an option)

I appreciate your consideration for these changes.

fyi, a new stream provider "Own3d" is nearing the end of beta test and will be live soon. They have a ways to go yet but you might want to put them on your radar.

I'm wondering if those default, small question mark icons on Week View and wherever they appear, can be changed to the thread starter's avatar? It it easily done?
More than aware that they're pulled from the stream, but it's highly unlikely we'd be streaming anything.

We're a car forum, so the events scheduling, mapping, RSVP and thread creation/management aspect is brilliant and could very well fit us like a glove. Great mod!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom