XF 1.2 Zend_Mail_Transport_Exception: Unable to send mail

Moshe1010

Lately I get these errors and have no idea what triggers it. Any idea?

Code:
Zend_Mail_Transport_Exception: Unable to send mail. - library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Sendmail.php:137

Stack Trace
#0 /home/admin/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail->_sendMail()
#1 /home/admin/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#2 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(62): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail))
#3 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(9.99999785423)
#4 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(198): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 9.99999785423, '')
#5 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(321): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 9.99999785423, '', false)
#6 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(274): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#7 /home/admin/public_html/deferred.php(18): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#8 {main}

Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(33) "http://www.forumurl.com/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(3) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(18) "/attachments/8705/"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}

Just to clarify the system does send emails on a regular basis (I get notifications on private messages and when I'm following a thread. I've also tried to register and got a confirmation email.
I'm using the default email (I'm not using any custom SMTP server).

In my mail server log, I have some bounced emails due to a cron that sends emails to idle users, is this the reason for this error?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Generally this just indicates that your MTA returned a failure code. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of information that can be gleaned from it. It could indicate that something bizarre went wrong when queuing. Any information should be in the mail log. It's possible it's related to bounces, but generally unlikely.

Generally this just indicates that your MTA returned a failure code. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of information that can be gleaned from it. It could indicate that something bizarre went wrong when queuing. Any information should be in the mail log. It's possible it's related to bounces, but generally unlikely.
Can I open a ticket with my email error log at the time of the error?

I can have a look, but this is generally outside something that we can help too much with. This error simply indicates that the PHP mail() function returned false, which mostly happens when the program specified (sendmail_path) returns a non-0 exit code.

So, what could be solution for this ? I am also getting same error since upgraded to 1.2.3
I guess this is the same error I opened a ticket few days ago. That's a bug and Mike fixed that. It's basically gives an error because of invalid charterers in the recipient's username such as ":"

I doubt it's that -- it's a very specific thing.

In general--particularly if it happens a lot--it's just an indication that your local mail system is having problems (or is disabled). You can try using SMTP or contacting your host.

I don't remember, it was two months ago. It can also happen by a failure of a cron (1.2/1.2.1 version) that sends emails (in my case it was idle users by Waindingo). It was fixed though when we've upgraded to 1.2.2.
@Shree
What is your specific error?

Top Bottom