You've reached all trophy levels... what now?

Shamil

Let's say a user fulfills all trophy levels. What comes next? I'm 3 likes away from my next trophy, and after that, I'll only have 1 trophy left to do. I assume the administrator adds on and on.

I do think that it'd be useful, if once a trophy level is reached, that trophy level is regenerated, such that, for the trophy for 100 posts, that trophy becomes valid again for 500 posts or such as, the same with the Likes trophy.

Of course, the board administrator could add things manually.

These trophies have made me competitive all over again.

If you put some thought into them (and add a decent number of them), I think they will last for quite a while.

I imagine the ones here are a small show/test rather than meant to be a significant example. Since you can also expand it via plugins for more custom trophies for data not tracked by XF, I imagine you'll get some pretty interesting trophies.

If you put some thought into them (and add a decent number of them), I think they will last for quite a while.

I imagine the ones here are a small show/test rather than meant to be a significant example. Since you can also expand it via plugins for more custom trophies for data not tracked by XF, I imagine you'll get some pretty interesting trophies.

Very true, I look forward to the large community I predict this to be. Maybe some sort of leaderboard or positioning system with respect to points attained could help?

Like an rpg game xD... You level up with an amount of experience, then the experience resets to 0 and it's required another bigger amount to level up again. In this case would be 10 threads or posts for the first trophy, then 25 or so for the second, then 50 posts for the third and so on. Rates may vary. However, this may be more suitable for an RPG modification maybe.

I do think that it'd be useful, if once a trophy level is reached, that trophy level is regenerated, such that, for the trophy for 100 posts, that trophy becomes valid again for 500 posts or such as, the same with the Likes trophy.
But how would you do that anyway? It needs points, descriptions, etc.

It wouldn't be a problem to add trophies that tie to 10,000 posts or things like that. There's an interface to do all that.

This community has taken off, so people here are probably earning trophies very quickly. If you consider trophies for engagement, the key is to get people engaged at the beginning. If they're reaching the top trophies, they're either engaged already and will continue, or they were just doing it for the trophy. I'd guess that in a community (versus achievements with an Xbox), the users with all trophies would probably stick with it.

All said, the trophies that are there were just first guess stuff. It's hard to see how people will use things. There's definitely value in adding more "high end" trophies, especially for likes. And some ridiculous amount of messages. :)

Mike, have you considered adding a system to set requirements for a trophy to be visible? So as the user gains more and more trophies, more and more appear to him/her. It would be like hanging a carrot in front of a rabbit's nose as he runs along. As soon as you earn a trophy or reach a certain level, even more trophies appear for you to set your sights on.

You could also use such a system to create the appearance of "multi-level" trophies, just by creating seperate trophies and setting the high-end one's visibility requirements the same as the completion requirements for the lower-end one. :) I know that currently all the trophies are just listed in the help system for all users to see, but I think it's something you might want to consider adding. :)

Mike, have you considered adding a system to set requirements for a trophy to be visible? So as the user gains more and more trophies, more and more appear to him/her. It would be like hanging a carrot in front of a rabbit's nose as he runs along. As soon as you earn a trophy or reach a certain level, even more trophies appear for you to set your sights on.
I actually like this idea.

Hadn't thought about that idea, though I had thought about hidden trophies (trophies that you only know about when you receive). However, I'm not sure what benefit that ultimately gives. They'll tend to leak out anyway for people looking.

The tiered trophy idea sounds cool though. :)

Actually, I think it would be pretty neat to even have a trophy tab in the user profile (as opposed to the small link). Once trophies can have images associated with them, they could potentially be really neat to show off. The following example comes to mind.

Hopefully it shows up. Basically, members are awarded "achievements" for doing certain things (watching movies, logging in at a certain time, being in a certain usergroup, things like that) and can have their achievements proudly displayed on their profile. It adds to the fun of earning them knowing they will be displayed as badges.

BTW, the profile I linked to is not my own; I literally picked the first user that showed up in the forum listing :).

Actually, I think it would be pretty neat to even have a trophy tab in the user profile (as opposed to the small link). Once trophies can have images associated with them, they could potentially be really neat to show off. The following example comes to mind.

Hopefully it shows up. Basically, members are awarded "achievements" for doing certain things (watching movies, logging in at a certain time, being in a certain usergroup, things like that) and can have their achievements proudly displayed on their profile. It adds to the fun of earning them knowing they will be displayed as badges.

BTW, the profile I linked to is not my own; I literally picked the first user that showed up in the forum listing :).

Yeah, basically copy the 360 Achievments or PS3 trophy system - you can display the actual trophies on your profile page, and it would be really sweet if they had images. :)

That does sound good but wouldn't it be better to show the user what they are working for instead of surprising them with something new just when they think they reach the top.
But that's the coolest part! You think "Oh, well I've reached the top of the trophies now, I guess I'm done..." and then some new ones pop up and surprise you! That would be awesome! I do agree with Mike how they would just leak out anyway, so maybe make it so they're visible (everyone can see them), but as Michael said, "you can't unlock trophy y until you get trophies x and z" (or whatever the requirement is).

Also, Mike, the hidden trophy idea sounds cool. Kind of like hidden achievements. :D The best part about the hidden trophy idea is that you could make some really quirky or weird ones. Like 'visit on the seventh day of the seventh month' or something odd like that. ;)

Top Bottom