your views on buying XF "branding-free" option?

erich37

Did anyone of you guys buy the XF "branding free"-option and are you happy with running your Forum "branding free" ?
What were your thoughts about "branding free" - why did you buy it ?

I am actually thinking of buying the "branding-free" option now, but not sure if this makes sense for my website......

Any views, hints, etc. are appreciated.

Did anyone of you guys buy the XF "branding free"-option and are you happy with running your Forum "branding free" ?
What were your thoughts about "branding free" - why did you buy it ?

I am actually thinking of buying the "branding-free" option now, but not sure if this makes sense for my website......

Any views, hints, etc. are appreciated.

What for?
Unless the "Powered by XenForo" bothers you, or messes up your style
Or you have some dollars lying around you need to put to some use ...

I used to say "so my competitors don't know what I am using!!", but.. they will find out anyway
I don't know what reasons people have to remove that

I always remove all branding from my larger forums as I want the forum to present its own identity and not someone else's. If and when I migrate any of those forums to XenForo then I'll review that policy as I'd like visitors to know what platform the forum is running on.

I've never understood the reasoning behind spending extra money to remove such a trivial copyright text. :S I wouldn't buy brand removal and instead invest that extra money on custom mods that my community would require or on a unique custome style to give my forum the unique identity that would help it stand out from the rest. That's only if I had any extra money to spare. :)

That little copyright is so way down there out of the way and so small that I need my glasses to read it. So why bother? I'm proud to be running my forum on XF, so why shouldn't I let others know it. :)

I think it's primarily aimed at corporate licencees - they usually don't want service providers or software branding on their sites, such as forum/support makers and web designers.

At the moment too, XF's "look" pretty easy to recognise - unless you get a really custom skin designed. So whilst it might not say it at the bottom of your homepage, it will - for the moment anyway - be pretty recognisable as XF. :)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I always remove all branding from my larger forums as I want the forum to present its own identity and not someone else's. If and when I migrate any of those forums to XenForo then I'll review that policy as I'd like visitors to know what platform the forum is running on.
That's the main reason I do it. Other reasons are that I can replace it with my own copyright and make it look ultra clean. Another reason is that I know our competitor is not very smart, and I know he will have a hard time copying us again (he did it before when we added vBSEO copyright text, before that he never knew we were running vB).

If you make enough money from your forums, there's little reason not to do it, unless you find it more important to promote XF. However I do that in other ways.

Until Internet Brands v. XenForo Ltd. and Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. v. XenForo Ltd. is resolved (and hopefully in the favor of XenForo Ltd.), I resolve to keep the XenForo Copyright in my footer as a testimony to the XenForo Team's awesome software, and as a way to rub it into the face of Internet Brands that I'm a proud owner of XenForo.

Branding free is imho for the corporate sites and very big forums that don't want to visualize any "unnecessary" external link.

I have a question about the branding link. On vbulletin, you can convert the branding link into a branding text. You can do this with Xenforo?

I have nothing against the branding link, i ask that because i want to use some styles and addons and have 3/4 links everywhere in the footer can be bad...for seo purposes.

Purchasing branding free allows you to remove the the visible XenForo copyright notice from all pages.

If you choose to leave the link or text in place, that's entirely up to you.

Branding free is imho for the corporate sites and very big forums that don't want to visualize any "unnecessary" external link.

I have a question about the branding link. On vbulletin, you can convert the branding link into a branding text. You can do this with Xenforo?

I have nothing against the branding link, i ask that because i want to use some styles and addons and have 3/4 links everywhere in the footer can be bad...for seo purposes.
How is having links to other sites on the bottom bad SEO? You do realize, not everything has to do with SEO, and people just love throwing out those buzzwords.

You can pay to remove most copyrights by developers and designers.

How is having links to other sites on the bottom bad SEO? You do realize, not everything has to do with SEO, and people just love throwing out those buzzwords.

You can pay to remove most copyrights by developers and designers.

Having the footer with many external links non correlated with content, especially if you have a non english website, can be a bad think.

Brogan my question is: a normal licence without branding free can remove the link and mantain the simple text?

I don't plan on removing the branding unless my website breaks 10,000 in Alexa and actually brings me a stable income. Even then I would wait a while since xF has it tucked away so nicely.

Brogan my question is: a normal licence without branding free can remove the link and mantain the simple text?
No, that is not permitted.

All copies of the Software must contain the same proprietary notices that appear on and in the Software, including all copyright notices embedded in the Software, which must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times, unless by specific prior arrangement with XenForo Limited.

My view:

I am not a registered business for my hobby sites, so those sites with XenForo don't need branding-free option.
And therefor in my position I am not investing in it. Actually, I don't mind it being there with the purpose to help spread the word about XenForo.

Exactly. We've worked hard on our branding, and don't want it diluted by the various copyrights for every piece of software we run. That said, XF is the first that gave me pause. We'll see.

I almost always
Exactly. We've worked hard on our branding, and don't want it diluted by the various copyrights for every piece of software we run. That said, XF is the first that gave me pause. We'll see.
Ditto. I never want anyone to see the branding of others or know what software I'm using and get any type of benefit of not doing their own homework. That said, I've made an exception with XenForo.

Top Bottom