Yo!KappaKappa

Jaxel

http://yokappa.com/

Yo! Kappa Kappa is set up to be a forum for "Stream Monsters". It amazed me that even to this day, a year after the launch of Twitch.TV, and after the announcement of the recent partnership between Ustream.TV and Sony, that there still wasn't a forum for the community of stream monsters. Reddit and Facebook just don't have the same conveyance of information that you find on forums.

What is a stream monster? A stream monster is someone who watches an online stream. While originally, the term had a more negative connotation, giving insult to those who only "watch" video game competitions, rather than actually competing in them themselves, the stream monster community quickly embraced the name and adopted it as their nom de guerre.

Why "Yo! Kappa Kappa "? The name was given to me by Francisco Martinez @frantastic23 as multiple different jokes in one. Not only does it include Kappa, but it is also a play on the children cartoon Yo Gabba Gabba! The term "gab" means to talk; idle chatter. In addition, Kappa is a greek letter, which allows us to make yet another play on the idea of community with "fraternity".

Who am I? I am Jaxel, owner and administrator of this website. I've been gaming my entire life and in recent years, put my efforts into streaming many of my gaming sessions and tournaments. In addition to my Twitch.TV channel, I have over 5,000 videos on my YouTube channel. As a professional streamer, I understand the importance of stream monsters and how we would be nothing without them.

Interesting concept, not much to say besides that. I'd remove that ads as frankly you'll probably get nothing out of them till you have a decent number of visitors.

I joined off the strength of the theme alone. It's very beautiful. I like it better than 8wayruns.

The logo looks good too.

I didn't know there was an up and down reddit button? Did you create that for your site or is it an embeddable html button from reddit for sites?

I'd remove that ads as frankly you'll probably get nothing out of them till you have a decent number of visitors.
Actually, for the niche that's he's providing, it's important to monetize every pageview. It's like having an arcade forum, and nobody posts but plays the arcade games. That's where he's going with the ads. Mostly you're not just watching videos, you're also talking about the videos.
How did you add the reddit submit button?
Keep scrolling down...
I didn't know there was an up and down reddit button? Did you create that for your site or is it an embeddable html button from reddit for sites?
...Bingo.

Code:
public static function template_hook($hookName, &$contents, array $hookParams, XenForo_Template_Abstract $template)
{
    switch ($hookName)
    {
        case 'share_page_options':
        case 'sidebar_share_page_options':
        case 'recentnews_share_page_options':
        {
            $contents .= '    <div class="reddit shareControl">
                                <script type="text/javascript">reddit_url="'.$hookParams['url'].'"</script>
                                <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.reddit.com/static/button/button1.js"></script>
                            </div>';
            break;
        }
    }
}

Nice theme I have to admit. I'm seeing alot of russ's themes on sites and good to see people are using his excellent themes. Nice looking site Jaxel.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to grow this website?

It takes time - and I suspect you know many things already - but a quick hint and also...I started a new site for fun and am blogging about my attempts (and some successes) to increase traffic - some hints there (I already tripled traffic since Feb).....

Main first hint is this. Open an adwords account in google and also a similar account in Bing.
Spend a tiny amount ($1 a day is fine) and bid cheap on a bunch of keywords that are somewhat related. You may have to take some 2nd tier words, but that is fine. Pay about 15 cents a click assuming you can get some clicks for that (monitor it)....

Obviously you want a lot of "front facing" content which explains exactly what the site is about so that goog get ahold of it easy.

You want incoming and outgoing links too.

My experiences so far with the new site (WP I took over and XF I just installed) are here:
http://www.craigsfire.com/?p=449

That's part three...part one and two are probably not relevant.....

BUT, there is a good idea in there for you.....in the fact that I purchased a failing blog to start my new site - which provided a very valuable kickstart to the traffic.

Just to put that in perspective, my own blog which I started over 3 years ago is up to 22 pages a day. The new site, when I bought it, still had some traffic - maybe 110 pages a day, but now I am up to a peak of 900+ pages per day and an average of 700+.

So it may pay to look around for a domain name which is still showing up in goog but has been abandoned - and offer the owner a certain amt after confirming traffic (goog analytics sharing).

Top Bottom