Yahoo email bounce backs

AndyB

Has anyone else had problems with Yahoo email bounce backs? The message contained in the bounce back is " temporarily deferred due to user complaints".

I filled out the form on Yahoo's web site located here:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/bulkv2.html

This is Yahoo's reply:

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for contacting Yahoo Mail.

Based on the information we've gathered, we're unable to offer prioritized delivery privileges to your sending IP(s) at this time. We can't provide you with specific information other than to encourage you to evaluate your mailing policies and practices to see how you may be able to improve your sending reputation. We encourage you to review some of our recommended best practices for sending to Yahoo Mail.

Another option is to register for the Complaint Feedback Loop program.

Yahoo Mail offers a free Complaint Feedback Loop program to help email senders minimize complaint rates. If you participate, Yahoo Mail forwards complaints from our users about emails sent from your organization.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Frank
Yahoo Customer Care
http://help.yahoo.com

What probably happened is that several of your members marked your messages as spam. In Ymail thats the easiest way to get rid of email. You should have received notification emails which indicate which members have marked as spam.

Thanks, Alfa1.

If Yahoo did send me emails indicating which member flagged my email as spam those notices are now gone.

Do you have a separate email address for bounce emails?
Do you have a spf and dkim set?

Hi Alfa1,

I don't have a separate email for bounce backs.

I don't have SPF or DKIM set.

I only get bounce backs from Yahoo.

In this day and age, it is imperative to have SPF and DKIM in your domain record. I cannot state this enough. There are great tutorials and generators online that make the process really easy. VERY STRONGLY recommend doing this. It will help enormously. I also love using Mandrillapp.com alongside bd.mails, it tracks bounce backs and will stop any more emails to that address until the user re-confirms their email address. It also shows you how many people are viewing your emails, as well as how many people are clicking on links in your emails. Very handy tool.

I only get bounce backs from Yahoo.
How do you know that all email providers allow your email domain to send mail to your members? 99% of the time you will not find out if anything is wrong.
While my article here is for vbulletin, many of the topics will help you understand the same issues you face with xenforo.

How do you know that all email providers allow your email domain to send mail to your members?

My members would complain if they are not getting emails notifications. Over the years I have notified the major email providers and I assume they have white listed my IP.

I'm pretty confident that Yahoo is the only provider that is bouncing back emails and that the other emails I send go through without any issues. My members that use Yahoo eventually get their emails, but they are complaining that they are delayed several days and all the emails come at once.

Normally filling out a simple form is all it takes to be white listed, but it appears Yahoo requires more.

While my article here is for vbulletin, many of the topics will help you understand the same issues you face with xenforo.

You should update it, and add it as a resource on XenForo! I've had that article bookmarked for a long time!

Normally filling out a simple form is all it takes to be white listed, but it appears Yahoo requires more.

Trust me, it used to be that SPF and DKIM were the exception rather than the rule, but that's just not the case anymore. It only takes a couple minutes and it helps a lot.

My members would complain if they are not getting emails notifications. Over the years I have notified the major email providers and I assume they have white listed my IP.

Not meaning to be rude, but rather just offering a different perspective. Are you sure that they would complain? Unless they are your top 5-10 percent of your users, or someone new waiting on an email verification, then I very much doubt that most members will bother or even notice when the emails stop coming.

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you, had to make dinner and get the little ones to bed. Be careful with your SPF records and make sure you include any MX services like gmail that your domain may use to send email. (Mandrill has a tutorial for adding the proper phrase to a SPF record, gmail and other email providers/services should as well)

Last edited:
Top Bottom