xxx is following you

If someone follows you, you are alerted that user xxxxxxx is following you. That user is most likely interested in what you are posting, or your status updates, or they actually like and respect you. You can also see your list of followers in your profile.
Never got any alert about that. Was that edited in later?

Also, of course it isn't like real life stalking. It isn't even like real internet stalking. Not everything is that serious. It's just a joyful way of saying people get way too much updates on whatever you do nowadays. Not just in this forum, but on all social stuff too. That's just my personal preference and has nothing to do with just how good XF is or isn't, it's just not my taste. So please stop the whole comparing it to real stalking and lighten up.

Never got any alert about that. Was that edited in later?
Click your Name in the Tab -> Alert Preferences. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Under the category Achievements, make sure you have Receive an Alert when you receive a New Follower checked.

BTW: You can also go to Privacy Settings, and under "People Who May... and limit the following to People You Follow only: Viewing and posting on your profile page, receive your News Feed, start PC's with you, and viewing Identites

No Brandon I do know the difference.

But when I see someone saying

it needs challenging because it's making a joke out of something which is not a joke.
This is where your (well, the) misconception is: "Following" somebody on a XenForo forum is in no way like "stalking" somebody, especially to the extent you seem to imply. It's just an easier way to quickly see posts that you've deemed likely to be enjoyable, insightful, or otherwise appealing to whatever tastes you have.

Take the "follow" feature away, and guess what? I can STILL "stalk" you by making a quick stop at your profile and clicking "find all content by your-username". Then what do we do to avoid this stalking problem? Only allow members to see their own posts and nobody else's? Cause that seems to be the only option that would please the "oh noez.... stalking! :o" crowd.

Top Bottom