XPress - A theme and bridge for bringing WordPress into XenForo [Deleted]

Latest version is working well for me, even fixed the manual rebuild that I had before which was stuck.

I upgraded xlink and then xpress and all is well on my test board so far.

Question, is there an update to the WP plugin or theme which needs installed?

Given the context of your response, does this mean that XPress now has provisions for XF 2.1 compatibility or was your response directed at the general update timeframe alone?
I was referring to us publishing the XPress update around that time. XPress was always compatible with 2.1. afaik, but we specifically support it since 1.1.0.

There's an emoji in the message ( :) ) as well as the follwing BB code: [ ATTACH ]8[ /ATTACH ]
Should we just ignore error messages in this case or do we need to edit emojis out of promoted posts before publishing?

Edit: I've tried to promote a post without emojis or attachments and it worked without any problems. Attachments don't seem to be an issue due to BB code so is there a way to omit emojis from being posted to WP in a future update?

Yeah, it's related to UTF8mb4 encoding. We're currently investigating how we could mitigate that, but in the meantime, I'd stick with avoiding these characters. For emojis, try the 2.1. emoji picker.

Also regarding the other error message (Table 'neuland_db.xf_th_xlink_usergroup_link' doesn't exist) - is this a bug or is it an issue because I upgraded from 1.1.0 to Patch Level 1? Should I just ignore it for the meantime?

If it happened around the time of your update, then that's save to ignore. The table was dropped and replaced by the promotion table.

1) Is it possible to use more than one WordPress site with one forum?

Starting with XPress 1.1.0, you can connect as many WordPress sites as you want, but each only to a single XenForo installation at a time.

2) Do the domains need to be the same? On another project, some of the WP sites run as subdomains, while others are on completely different domains.

Subdomains are supported if you do some server configuration (cross-origin resource sharing, cookie domains, etc.). We're glad to give some general directions via ticket if you need additional insight. As XPress requires XenForo cookies on WordPress, different domains are not supported though.

In all cases above, the sites are located on the same server and share the same database. Plus, all WP installations are WP Multisite for each project. (So the first group of sites I mentioned is on one multisite installation, and the second group of sites share their own multisite installation.)

WP Multisite is not supported at the moment.

Would converting the tables to UTF8MB4 fix this?

I strongly discourage that. WordPress code is not suited for multibyte strings.

Question, is there an update to the WP plugin or theme which needs installed?

They should be in the PL1 package, but the code is identical with the initial 1.1.0 release.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Five years ago I hired a programmer to build a massive WP/XF integration for my website (www.pokebeach.com). He coded many of the features your plugin now has -- it's bizarre how similar everything is! I guess that attests to how these sorts of features are wanted by people.

I'm stunned I found this plugin just as we were about to upgrade ours. Right now I'm thinking I may destroy our custom integration and use yours since I'm sure you'll always update yours. But I have a few questions first, or perhaps "feature requests" if you don't yet have what I'm about to ask:

1. Our plugin has the ability to use existing forum threads for a news story (example here: https://www.pokebeach.com/2019/01/full-metal-wall-secret-rare-leaks). Can your plugin do that?

When ours uses an existing thread, it makes a new post in that XF thread linking people to the newly published WP story. Then, that newly published WP story only shows comments after that XF post on the WP end. This is especially useful for "ongoing" stories. Like, in one month you may post a few stories related to a specific topic. Thus, on the forum end, it keeps all the comments in one thread. It also has a little notice on the bottom of the WP story saying: "Because this news story is about an ongoing topic, it is using the same discussion thread as previous news stories which covered the same topic. To prevent confusion, the thread's earlier posts have been hidden from this page."

2. Our plugin can also use multiple threads -- it will simply post to those threads letting people know a story has been published that is related. But only one of the threads that you specify will be used to host the comments. Can yours do this?

3. In the WP editor we can do a search for existing forum threads and forums to create the story's forum thread in. We can also see a list of recent news stories, select them, and then it'll use their threads for the story about to be published. Can yours do this?

4. Is your plugin actually using a XF forum thread, or is it just copying the XF comments to WP comments / vice versa and making it look integrated? Ours uses actual XF threads / comments and the XF database. We can also moderate the posts on the WP end, edit them, etc., just as we can on the XF end. The WP end has all the XF thread functionality of the XF end. Is yours like this?

Thank you!

Also I could connect my programmer to you if you want him on your team or could use his coding. LMK!

Last edited:
@Mike Creuzer - did I misunderstand, but does Xpress effectively allow you to convert all forum threads to Wordpress posts?

If you have an existing active install, do be aware that your forum URLs may change!
All forum threads? I don't think we have any mass tools planned, but you can go to a specific thread of note and then promote it to a Wordpress post (promote to article).
Five years ago I hired a programmer to build a massive WP/XF integration for my website (www.pokebeach.com). He coded many of the features your plugin now has -- it's bizarre how similar everything is! I guess that attests to how you and I both wanted the same WP/XF features.

I'm stunned I found this plugin just as we were about to upgrade ours. Right now I'm thinking I may destroy our custom integration and use yours since I'm sure you'll always update yours. But I have a few questions first, or perhaps "feature requests" if you don't yet have what I'm about to ask:
We're glad you found us! :)
1. Our plugin has the ability to use existing forum threads for a news story (example here: https://www.pokebeach.com/2019/01/full-metal-wall-secret-rare-leaks). Can your plugin do that?

When ours uses an existing thread, it makes a new post in that XF thread linking people to the newly published WP story. Then, that newly published WP story only shows comments after that XF post on the WP end. This is especially useful for "ongoing" stories. Like, in one month you may post a few stories related to a specific topic. Thus, on the forum end, it keeps all the comments in one thread. And in the WP news story, it only shows comments made after that post. It also has a little notice on the bottom of the WP story saying: "Because this news story is about an ongoing topic, it is using the same discussion thread as previous news stories which covered the same topic. To prevent confusion, the thread's earlier posts have been hidden from this page."
Yes you can sync existing threads, but right now I think it has to be done article by article. I'm not sure how we could do this systematically either. You could do a migration script from your current system, but naturally that'd need to be developed custom.

But yeah we support not only syncing wp comments with XenForo but also just replacing wp comments with your thread itself. This is super useful if you have custom post add-ons and tools, moderators love it as it all goes through one system, and looks a lot more consistent. Plus comments count as posts which a lot of users like because then they get to keep track of their content a lot easier.
2. Our plugin can also use multiple threads -- it will simply post to those threads letting people know a story has been published that is related. But only one of the threads that you specify will be used to host the comments. Can yours do this?
Ours does not support multiple threads for messages. I don't know the use of this exactly, is it like if an article is posted in a specific category it denotes this somewhere? Wouldn't just the one thread be useful enough or is that not so?
3. In the WP editor we can do a search for existing forum threads and forums to create the story's forum thread in. We can also see a list of recent news stories, select them, and then it'll use their threads for the story about to be published. Can yours do this?
Not a feature we have planned. The only support is new thread for new article, not appending to an existing one. Posts are then appended to that one thread.

Ahh you replied so fast I wasn't done editing my post! Haha. Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it!

So just to be clear, a news story CAN use existing threads from the forum? How does this currently work? If it's a thread a user created, will it take over their first post, or will it make a new post in the thread linking to the WP story? And will it then show every comment under the WP story from that thread, even if the comment is months old?

So just to be clear, a news story CAN use existing threads from the forum? How does this currently work? If it's a thread a user created, will it take over their first post, or will it make a new post in the thread linking to the WP story?
Furthermore does the OP or staff edit the post in WP or in XF or can in both?

To clarify my earlier posts, this is how our plugin looks when making a news story.

You can do a search for the forum to post the news story's thread to (it'll automatically create it upon publishing the story) and/or use existing forum threads. You can also specify which posts to show in the WP news story (the starting post) for ongoing topics. If using an existing thread, the plugin automatically sets the starting point to the post that it makes in the thread upon publishing.

(Trying to understand how yours works conceptually compared to ours and what switching to yours would mean for our current setup. TY!)

Ahh you replied so fast I wasn't done editing my post! Haha. Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it!

So just to be clear, a news story CAN use existing threads from the forum? How does this currently work? If it's a thread a user created, will it take over their first post, or will it make a new post in the thread linking to the WP story? And will it then show every comment under the WP story from that thread, even if the comment is months old?
If you create a post from WordPress, it will not use an existing thread. It will only create a new one. To use an existing thread, yes, we'd need to do some kind of find system. I'm not 100% on this but we might let you simply manually set the thread ID and that could be useful, then consider a GUI auto complete search system at a later date. But yes, to be super clear, on NEW WP post, it will create a NEW XF thread - either in a forum of your choice on create OR if you choose a category in WP and have that setup to map to a category node on XF itll automatically know where to create that thread.

Also, yes, it will show comments or posts or whatever you have setup under the article. There is also a link to go directly to the thread.

Tagging @Lukas W. on the idea of support for existing threads, especially since you're using a legacy system. Now I know we cannot mass update your threads, but Im curious if we already have or can add a simple input to accept the thread ID where we can officially link NEW posts/comments. Naturally this wouldn't work for anything prior.
Furthermore does the OP or staff edit the post in WP or in XF or can in both?
Its all done in WordPress, if its an article. If its a XenForo thread its all done in XenForo. We keep the software entities in their own places. So what I think you're getting at, if I'm correct, is let's say someone (your staff ideally) boosted their own article. What you could do is map your moderators or admins or editor staff or whatever to a usergroup in WordPress (author, editor, admin; respectively). Then, they can simply just login to WP and see ONLY their articles (or all, if you want them to be admins or editors). This way they can choose to edit their thread or their WP article. Merging edits is a bit messy imo and this way is far cleaner. We just rebuilt the usergroup mapping system in fact to support user criteria and other things. You could say "anyone who has 100 threads can get promoted to a WP author" for example. Or anyone in a usergroup. Or anyone who has been registered for 5 years. You get the idea. Couldn't think of a better way to give full control to permissions between the 2 systems.

Hi I got errors after I uploaded the files for upgrading.

on my Forum path
Fatal error: Trait 'ThemeHouse\XLink\Listener\Traits\EntityStructure' not found in /home/****/public_html/src/addons/ThemeHouse/XPress/Listener/EntityStructure.php on line 10

and on my wordpress path:

Fatal error: Class 'XF' not found in /home/*/public_html/wpress/wp-content/themes/wp-xpress-theme/front-page.php on line 18

any idea?

To anyone else with similar problems: A "'X\Y\Z' not found" error usually indicates missing or corrupted files. I'd generally recommend uploading the zip file as a whole to the server to a directory outside of XenForo, then extracting them and moving the files to the correct directory.

Hi I updated both Xenforo, Xpress and Xlink so I have last version of everything. I dont remember what version I upgraded from, last time I updated was in july/august.

The upgrading went OK, but there is a problem. The front page where I have my WP installation does not show any articles now. I have read the documentation but I cant find anything.

Just installed it and I love it!

1. For some reason I can't get the associated forum thread to display under the news story. Am I missing a settings page somewhere to enable this?
  2. Is there a way to specify exactly which news categories to show in the navbar under "Blog," and to put them in a specific display order?
  3. Is there a way to remove the duplicate "Home" button from the navbar? I'm seeing both "Blog" and "Home" which are both the same thing (though "Blog" has the news categories under it).

Thank you! Love this plugin!

For some reason I can't get the associated forum thread to display under the news story. Am I missing a settings page somewhere to enable this?

Have you set it to "XenForo Thread View" in the XLink Platform options?

Is there a way to specify exactly which news categories to show in the navbar under "Blog," and to put them in a specific display order?

You'll have to disable the subnavigation sync in the XenForo Public Navigation manager and set up the subnavigation manually there.

Is there a way to remove the duplicate "Home" button from the navbar? I'm seeing both "Blog" and "Home" which are both the same thing (though "Blog" has the news categories under it).

You can disable/rename them in the XenForo Public Navigation manager.

The upgrading went OK, but there is a problem. The front page where I have my WP installation does not show any articles now. I have read the documentation but I cant find anything.
Can you open a ticket with us that includes your admin login details? We'd gladly help figuring this out.

If you create a post from WordPress, it will not use an existing thread. It will only create a new one. To use an existing thread, yes, we'd need to do some kind of find system. I'm not 100% on this but we might let you simply manually set the thread ID and that could be useful, then consider a GUI auto complete search system at a later date.

This is actually a feature that I would like as well - connecting new WP posts with already existing threads.
There is a simple workaround: Let WP create a new thread via Xpress and then merge the old and the new thread in XF. But it's still a workaround and might mess with things if not done carefully (and there's always the implication that a moderator just merges threads in XF as he sees fit and it screws with your WP post) so a proper option would be appreciated at some point.

You can't just specify the thread id when creating a post? I haven't tried this lately. It I'm pretty sure it worked before.

Top Bottom