XF's own Resource Manager and New Applications category

Mouth

XF's own Resource Manager has over 200 add-ons in it's New Applications category, going back over 3 years ago. Probably worth a review and clean-up of which add-ons belong in this category, or even if the category is still required or relevant anymore?

Why would it need cleaning up, and why would it not be required or relevant?

"New Applications" doesn't pertain to the age of the resource. It is describing functionality which is new to XenForo, e.g. adding something to XenForo which is a completely different function that it didn't already have.

Going through the last page:
  • IRC
  • Shoutbox
  • Banking
  • Gallery
  • Shop
These are all "new" applications that add new features to XenForo that XenForo doesn't already have (by default, not counting official add-ons).

There is, of course, some questionable add-ons in any category, and indeed questionable threads in any forum. If something is obviously wrong then we would of course move it, but for the most part things are in the right categories and there isn't really a compelling reason to review anything.

I think it may be the use of 'new' in New Applications. I took it to mean applications that were newly added but the category hadn't been tidied up for some time. Maybe it should simply be called Applications?

• IRC
  • Shout box
Bridges & Integrations where AjaxChat is?, or Conversations where ArrowChat is?
Other Add-ons where [BD]Bank Point is?
Media Gallery?

but for the most part things are in the right categories and there isn't really a compelling reason to review anything.
With New Applications and Other Add-Ons combined holding over 20% of all add-ons, and the obvious ambiguity or miscellaneous nature both those catgeories appear to have, I would think that's a reason to review.

No biggy, just giving a heads up.

I'd hardly call a shoutbox a bridge or integration. Conversations in XenForo generally refer to the private message system.

I believe that category is for Add-ons that extend the XenForo Media Gallery, not for Gallery add-ons.

Yup, more ambiguity and/or confusion.

Yup, more ambiguity and/or confusion.
Hmmm... let's see... the official add-on is called XenForo Media Gallery... the category is called Media Gallery and it's on the official XenForo site.
A reasonable expectation would be that it pertains to the official Media Gallery add-on from XenForo. I had no problems figuring out what it was for.
but.......
I guess it would easier to understand if it was a category entitled Media Gallery under a parent category called Extensions - since they extend the add-on itself. You can get to the point that the minutiae will be ridiculous.

The only real point I think is made here is that there's a section for "New Applications" and "Other Add-Ons". Those could possibly be merged?

Regardless, I can see how "New" in "New Applications" may imply age, however the resource manager is tabbed to show the newest resources which is more clearly age dependent. I think the wording should remain.

Regardless, I can see how "New" in "New Applications" may imply age, however the resource manager is tabbed to show the newest resources which is more clearly age dependent. I think the wording should remain.
So, apparently "New Applications" in Resources doesn't imply age because there's "Newest Resources". Yet, I have "New Posts", "New Profile Posts", "New Media", all representing age. For further inconsistency, we have "Newest Members" representing age.

Those are all completely different. It really doesn't make much sense for there to be a category for new applications in the sense of age as everything would go there and they would have to move it and define somewhere what 'new' means.

Top Bottom