xfLetter [Deleted]

Well, it's probably a good idea to make the mod work as stand alone before branching out to third party options. I have been on the ban list because of poor email apps and I know the pain. Another issue is meeting all requirement's of opting out. That is a must with most providers. They look for it in the signature of the document.

But regardless the author said he had never messed with bounced processing before so what better way to start than to use support 3rd party APIs. On top of that Mandrill is free for the first 12,000 emails, so no up front costs involved.

As I said earlier, I have nothing against the proposal to develop also something for third party scripts (I mentioned phplist, which es even free for 100.000 and more - always).

But the best way to learn about EBM ist to dig into the stuff deeper and learn what he has to pay attention to. This is why I gave some links and some ideas. He want to code a newsletter, not a Mandrill et alii bridge. At least I understood it this way and that is what this addon is called ("xfLetter").

At the end of the day, the coder has to decide what his project shall look like. I am for sure not interested in a bridge which can not handle at least 50.000 emails regularly for free. Then I rather use phplist for free. But that is just me.

But regardless the author said he had never messed with bounced processing before so what better way to start than to use support 3rd party APIs. On top of that Mandrill is free for the first 12,000 emails, so no up front costs involved.
It's only $17.60 if you spiked and sent 100,000 emails in a month, so the costs are truly miminal.

It's only $17.60 if you spiked and sent 100,000 emails in a month, so the costs are truly miminal.

It does not matter whether it is 20, 50 or 150 USD per newsletter. It is just a simple decision whether I am willing to pay for a service which is not at all better than the free solution. Where is the value added for me to pay for this?

Why people complain, if XF would increase its price by i.e. by 20 USD per licence, but are willing to pay this price on a MONTHLY (depending on your frequency even more) without hesitation, if you can have it for free? What is the logic behind this? Please help me to understand this.

If I want to use an external newsletter system outside of XF, I will always prefer phplist. It can do EVERYTHING with it. It works since years VERY reliable, it easy to customize, it is always up to date for legal requirements (double optin and optout, bounced email management, throtelling, selective batches for specific domainnames, you name it...)

So please explain me, what you can do with a payed service, what I can not do with the absolutely free script phplist? :confused:

IMHO, if there should be used an external bridge to another newsletter system at all, it would be smart to use first phplist, because it is for free and if needed later on also other services.

But for sure an independant addon which is based only on XF and nothing else is the "real thing". Sooner or later it will come. Whether with this addon here or with another one does not matter. ;)

For ****s sake just let the guy create a bounced email addition to this the way he wants to. It is 100% more bounced email processing than xenForo has in its core or any add-on at all right now.

For someone that is championing the majority of xenForo users needs this built in for non 3rd party stuff, you sure are on the defensive here.

For ****s sake just let the guy create a bounced email addition to this the way he wants to. ....

That is what I said already yesterday, scroll back and see...

For someone that is championing the majority of xenForo users needs this built in for non 3rd party stuff, you sure are on the defensive here.

You misread my postings or interprete biased because of your preferred payed software solution. ;)

At the end of the day, it does not matter. The coder has now different opinions and can judge himself what is the smartest way for him to get the maximum success for the working hours he has to put into an addon. :)

FYI, no matter what anyone will think this add on will be free for life. I have no intention of xfLetter to become a premium add on due to the fact I released it free originally and so there is no reason to change that.

I look forward to it progressing and hopefully the community can help you make it a great free addon :)

It doesn't seem to be reading my username. The page linked in the menu shows the page with the formated email on but my username doesn't show. It also doesn't show in the acp list of subscribers. It's just blank.

What happened was somehow I got logged out when I clicked the newsletter link. So it though I was a guest. I guess it shouldn't allow me to subscribe unless it asks me for an email then.

Column "sub_email" in table "xenletter_subscribe" is set to varchar(30) which is too small. It throws an error when the email is longer. You might want to up that to 100 or so just to be safe.

Also column "sub_user" is set to varchar(20) Which will fail if an admin allows longer usernames.

Hmm, my test email has all the stats blank even though they show up on the newsletter page.

FYI I'm not complaining just trying to be helpful. :D

LOL you gave me a lot there. Like I said earlier it does need to be updated but honestly I can't see why someone would have an email longer than 30 characters unless they are spammers.

Even if you use your full name it shouldn't exceed 30 characters, mine plus host goes to 20. I'll set it higher but I'm weary doing this considering spammers like to get their hands on newsletters and send them out pretending to be you.

Top Bottom