xFDriveBy - Drive By, Drop In, Dialogue

SneakyDave

xFDriveBy.com isn't your normal forum site.

Why waste your time formulating a great post or thread when you can save time and just drop a blurb or three?

This site's only intended purpose is for chatting, probably heavily leaning toward xF and other forum software topics.

In fact, the only forum that exists is for the chat archive.

Private conversations and profile posts are also allowed and encouraged, to get other members' attention.

All faiths are welcome and represented, although some countries are discouraged from registering, and the suggested age limit is 18.

I plan to spend a lot of time there asking and answering a lot of questions about xF, life, and Steeler/Husker talk. What else could a person ask for?

Add-ons in use:
  • MinerSkinz Metro and Metro Dark styles.
  • Shelley's extended smiley pack
  • TMS
  • Taigachat Pro

http://xfdriveby.com/dashboard/chat/

Pop Up Chat:
http://xfdriveby.com/dashboard/chat/popup

Interesting concept.

I see one flaw. Chat messages tend to go by fast, and if someone asks something in the chatbox, and then has to log off, and there are a lot of people chatting, then that person won't get his answer.

I've come back and forth to this thread 3 times now stuck on what to say without sounding harsh. Not bashing here Dave so I'll just say it.

It is an interesting concept but the thought that keeps coming back is it feels like a waste of an xf license housing a chat. I'm sure i've missed something here, and you've thought what direction/plans this is heading towards and the beneficial possibilities this has, but I can't honestly see it more than a wasted license where you'll have people just generally talking about the weather, general type stuff that holds zero value.

Edit: Sorry Dave (probably shouldn't have posted) but I did try to look at the potential and good things to this.

Interesting concept.

I see one flaw. Chat messages tend to go by fast, and if someone asks something in the chatbox, and then has to log off, and there are a lot of people chatting, then that person won't get his answer.
Yes, that is a flaw of a chat system. I have chats scheduled to archive at daily (at least), and there are currently 400 recent chats kept, so that helps a bit, but yes, that is a flaw.

I've come back and forth to this thread 3 times now stuck on what to say without sounding harsh. Not bashing here Dave so I'll just say it.

It is an interesting concept but the thought that keeps coming back is it feels like a waste of an xf license housing a chat. I'm sure i've missed something here, and you've thought what direction/plans this is heading towards and the beneficial possibilities this has, but I can't honestly see it more than a wasted license where you'll have people just generally talking about the weather, general type stuff that holds zero value.

Edit: Sorry Dave (probably shouldn't have posted) but I did try to look at the potential and good things to this.

Yes! You're right Shelly, it probably could be considered a waste of an xF license just to use it as a container for a chat, and there are A LOT of people that have chat for their forums, sometimes not publicly available. Maybe it expands to something more in the future, I don't know...

I'm pretty thick skinned. I've wasted a ton more money and time on lesser pursuits. ;)

I may investigate that "no xenForo" add-on to see how well it works with taigachat, but I would like to keep the chat archives for searches.

Yes! You're right Shelly, it probably could be considered a waste of an xF license just to use it as a container for a chat, and there are A LOT of people that have chat for their forums, sometimes not publicly available. Maybe it expands to something more in the future, I don't know...

I'm pretty thick skinned. I've wasted a ton more money and time on lesser pursuits. ;)

I may investigate that "no xenForo" add-on to see how well it works with taigachat, but I would like to keep the chat archives for searches.

You know Dave, giving this more thought in what I said I think I should have refrained from thinking and then saying it was a wasted license (who am I to say what is a waste) I'm more than likely wrong in thinking content is going to lack substance. You obviously have a direction and seeing something I'm not and you've have a lot more experience running forums (I'm not saying your old) :p but more to say I do like the site, and since I can talk the hind legs off a donkey I'd be the one posting random and doing non stop chatting and rambling on.

On that note, and I should have said last night and that is I hope your site does take off and heads in that direction you envision and goodluck with it. :)

I can certainly related there. Been there, now wearing the T-shirt. Honestly though Dave, goodluck and I hope you have success with this.

Ps. I think I told myself off further up this post.

I have tried to signup since last night....
I am getting no confirmation emails....
I tried at least 3 different emails with no luck of confirmation.
I sent email to dave or someone, still no response....

Well, good luck....

AdultHaven, I replied to your email. I had a similar problem on another board. It's a combination of a missing SPF record in DNS, and the SMTP account that I'm using. That should be fixed soon. Sorry I din't get to it sooner.

Reminds self to bite the bullet and use Courier or some other mail server.

I noticed you using the animated smilies I submitted which are suffering from white matting being showed on your darker background. Give me a couple of days to locate the psd and I'll save them out in a different matte so they blend in with your chats background colour. (They may contain tubes)

Kim, fixed just for you... LOL

Shelley, I appreciate that but you don't need to go through that trouble. It's just what people have to put up with when they want to use light and dark styles together with animated smiley's. I'll probably replace them with PSP Tubes eventually anyway LOL

Kim, fixed just for you... LOL

Shelley, I appreciate that but you don't need to go through that trouble. It's just what people have to put up with when they want to use light and dark styles together with animated smiley's. I'll probably replace them with PSP Tubes eventually anyway LOL

Thanks Dave!

Oxy might like a name change too?

Top Bottom