Lack of interest [XF2] Post Thread from the CLI

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

StarArmy

My suggestion is to add CLI functonality where you could post a message to the forum using the command line. Ideally reading and replying threads would be available too, but posting would be a good start.

Something like:

php cmd.php xf-post:newthread "Hello world."

And optional switches for the forum number, or it would ask:

Which forum would you like to post this in?
{list of forums)

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
There are situations where admins might only be able to reach their forum via SSH from a text-only terminal or where bandwidth is extremely limited, where posting a time-sensitive message is critical.

Also, it'd be just cool to use the forum from the backend.

I’ve never known any such situations, can you elaborate?

If bandwidth is limited then I suspect users reading such posts would also be problematic.

Well, I would like to securely post from the middle of the desert using an extremely slow satellite phone connection (too slow for any graphics) that's connected to an old Commodore 128D computer.

Edit: Okay, okay, it's because I just want to be able to have more functions with the command line in general. It was kind of a "it would be cool if..." thought I had to share.

Last edited:
I was thinking along similar lines, where people could use it as a way for automated server processes to post things. Like for example maybe when your server load is high the server could post a warning to your admin area.

I'm thinking stuff that the auto-rss-bot thingo won't do. For example, the kind of things that need pre-processing, and posting to the forum is the last thing. Like process a .csv and post sporting results. etc etc etc. The possibilities are endless.

Top Bottom