XF2 addons check [Deleted]

AndyB

AndyB submitted a new resource:

XF2 addons check - Checks add-ons developed by XF2 Addons and reports if any need upgrading.

Premium upgrade:

This XF2 add-on along with the entire collection can be purchased for $25.00 USD. Your Premium upgrade will allow you to download as many XF2 add-ons as you like for one year. Please see the entire collection located in the Resources area at this URL:

https://www.xf2addons.com/

Note: all my XF1 add-ons are still 100% free and are supported by donations.

Description:

Checks add-ons developed by XF2 Addons and reports if any need upgrading...

Read more about this resource...

Hi @AndyB

I know that this resource is deleted but I believe you still provide and recommend this add-on to your customers. Which is fine.

However, the add-on in its current form is not (and will not be) compatible with XenForo Cloud but as a more general point I'm highly confused by some of the design decisions.

Primarily my comments pertain to the following options:

1645911188860.webp

The first path option is entirely redundant. You can establish the "board path" within XF itself using:

Code:
$boardPath = \XF::getRootDirectory();

Therefore this option should be removed and you should adjust the code to detect it automatically.

I'm also somewhat confused by the temporary path option. Why does it need to be outside of the document root? XF already has a system for managing temporary files and directories, and an appropriate parent directory for these to exist, specifically internal_data/temp.

You can do something like this:

PHP:
$tempDir = \XF\Util\File::createTempDir();
$tempFile = \XF\Util\File::getTempFile();
// both of the above directories/files are *automatically* cleaned up at the end of the request

// ...

$response = $client->get($sourceLink, ['save_to' => $tempFile]);

// ...

$res = $zip->open($tempFile);

// ...

$zip->extractTo($tempDir);
$zip->close();

// you can then continue mostly as normal

$src = $tempDir . 'upload/src/addons/Andy/' . $addonTitle;

// etc...

This approach makes much more sense, is more compatible, automatically cleans up temporary files, and allows you to remove both of those redundant options making it easier for people to use.

I'm about to advise a XenForo Cloud customer that they can no longer use this add-on, so I hope you're able to accommodate these changes.

The advice in this post may be useful if you've taken similar approaches in other add-ons.

Top Bottom