XF2.3 feedback and comments

yeah i mean. some folks here have suggested to make it a user preference setting. forums have almost always have style picker at the bottom. though regular websites tends to offer color themes in the top bar. user preference would mean it would not be available to guests on forums so there's that. and guests are currently set to follow system theme by default. i personally do not like the idea of landing on a dark theme on all xenforo powered forums in future lol as a visitor.

i personally do not like the idea of landing on a dark theme on all xenforo powered forums in future lol as a visitor.
I agree. I have my Mac set to dark mode, but I don't particularly appreciate landing on dark sites because of that. I am not a fan of dark websites and the first thing I did here was to turn it into a light one.

When XF 2.3 was added here, I was a bit surprised to see the dark mode. I agree with some that it's not the prettiest dark mode. It's hard to read and not pleasant to look at. But okay, something that needs to be changed after the upgrade.

I was thinking about it, since this is an official community, the dark mode should be changed to more pleasant colours to impress potential customers. The current dark style almost certainly does not.

... and I just realized that the "Cookies" link in the footer next to the style selector gets blocked with uBlock Origin enabled. That's not good, there shouldn't be anything in a stock install that gets tripped up by an ad-blocker.

... and I just realized that the "Cookies" link in the footer next to the style selector gets blocked with uBlock Origin enabled. That's not good, there shouldn't be anything in a stock install that gets tripped up by an ad-blocker.
That's not something we have much control over. If it's not a deliberate choice by the block list maintainers (and it very well may be), it should be reported to them.

That is a very common icon for dark mode.
I wasn't meaning the icon for dark mode, which is a moon. I didn't have any use with that.
D'oh! Thanks, I was looking for the usual "Choose Style" type menu link or something in the user preferences.
That was main point here:

EDIT!!!! BIG BUG

Why is my link to post #198 but turning into this?????

yeah i mean. some folks here have suggested to make it a user preference setting. f
I suggested that, but not so much to make it a user preference setting but to go back to it being a user preference as it was perviously. ie it wasn't broken so why change it? People will initially think they've lost the setting from where they are used to its being.

Last edited:
!!!!!!

I tried to link to my post

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf2-3-feedback-and-comments.217957/page-10#post-1657914

But it turns into this:

The share link works fine for me.

That's not something we have much control over. If it's not a deliberate choice by the block list maintainers (and it very well may be), it should be reported to them.
It's getting tripped by the "Cosmetic Filtering" in uBlock (and likely others) that is enabled by default.

Is that hidden content the only place where the cookie accept/reject choices are given to the user?

It's getting tripped by the "Cosmetic Filtering" in uBlock (and likely others) that is enabled by default.
Cosmetic filters are just a type of filter that blocklists may apply. It'll be tripped by a certain blocklist which has a cosmetic filter. These lists have added these rules specifically to hide the cookie notice:

1701814176823.webp

It is entirely deliberate and if we made changes to circumvent it then the lists would just be updated accordingly. Also, I don't believe any of those lists are enabled by default.

Last edited:
It is entirely deliberate and if we made changes to circumvent it then the lists would just be updated accordingly.
I didn't suggest otherwise. But I am curious....

Is that hidden content the only place where the cookie accept/reject choices are given to the user?

I'm just in intelligence gathering mode to know what to be prepared for when 2.3 hits the streets. Going from "Nothing breaks when you visit our site with an adblocker enabled." to "Some things will break when you visit with an adblocker enabled." is a message that we'll have to eventually communicate to our members.

Nothing has changed about the cookie notice in 2.3, so it would be the same on any 2.2 site right now. I don't believe any of those lists are enabled by default, for what it's worth.

Yes. Since those block lists are designed around eliminating cookie consent notices and forms on the whole, if we introduced different interfaces they would almost certainly wind up blocked as well.

Nothing has changed about the cookie notice in 2.3, so it would be the same on any 2.2 site right now. I don't believe any of those lists are enabled by default, for what it's worth.
Hey, you can say it.... it's been like that for some time and I hadn't noticed! :laugh:

Last edited:
Adding a new tag has a regression;

If you add a new tag which doesn't exist and click "save" before it converts the text into a little bubble with an "x" to remove it; it doesn't save the new tag.

tagging on xenforo has always been kind of annoying (i don't remember if it was better on 1.x. but 2.1/2.2 has been like this). if i type fast and press enter before it appears as a suggestion in dropdown, it is never accepted as tag. so i got used to just pressing comma instead. tagging behavior is very weird here on 2.3 based on one new thread i created few days ago. hopefully it can be smoothened out before public release!

hah. just realized that you can press enter here on 2.3 and tags are accepted even before they appear in the suggestion/existing dropdown so that's nice tbh. the rotating thing is a visual distraction though. 😬

pressing backspace deletes the last tag. on 2.2, iirc it makes the last tag editable which was nice. not a biggie though.

trying to enter same tag creates a tag named already exists which disappears after a gap. on 2.2, they just disappeared.

nm. went offtopic.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwe
Top Bottom